Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac V PC Debate….

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭wonderwall900

Sciprio wrote: »
    For you fellow pc gamers. (i7-6700k, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 1TB harddrive.) Got a lovely Asus 144HZ gaming Monitor aswell.

Gaming aside, that looks like it could run anything without any hassle. Where did you buy/build it? How much was all that in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

The only advantage that a mac offered at the time I purchased one, was that the Air was generally the slimmest product available. Plenty of similar ones now though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Comte de Mirabeau

Mac V's PC? 1984 just called and wan'ts its debate back . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It's laughable how this is being blatently ignored. A Mac is essentially Linux and people think windows machine can be tinkered with more :rolleyes:

Actually it's more fully a Unix system - BSD compatible - than Linux.

Billy86 wrote: »
    What is nonsense about it? It's a different OS and marketing. The components inside are still the same one and made by the same non-Apple/non-Microsoft companies like Intel, Asus, EVGA, Corsair, ASRock, Gigbyte, MSI, etc. They really are the exact same hardware components, some prefer how Apple is configured and the OS and that's perfectly fine, but personally I'm not mad on the thought of essentially paying an extra €500 or whatnot on an OS.

The actual cost of an item is it's depreciation.

Since Macs don't depreciate as much and just last the true cost is often lower. Of course they do make it hard to replace internals bit I have a 2011 iMac that is still chugging along (actually it is fairly fast all things considered) and if I could replace components I would never buy another. In fact I don't have plans to buy for another year. Or two. Until I can't upgrade to the latest OS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Mac V's PC? 1984 just called and wan'ts its debate back . . .

It was Commodore vs Atari back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

seachto7 wrote: »
    The big question is, paying €1,200 for a Macbook and, say, €600 for a high spec Windows machine, which is going to last longer?....

The flaw in your question is that the Macbook is better compared with a Windows Laptop at the same price. 1200. You can buy a windows laptop at 2000
    if you wish.

The 600 Windows machine you'd be better comparing with the 1200 Windows laptop to see why there is 600 in the difference.

scamalert wrote: »
    think what many fail to realize that mac and pc use same hardware components, only apple goes extra mile to solder most of them into single block.besides their slim and retina screen laptops its massive branding that most pay 600+e on top ,thats the real difference not reliability or better performance but simple apple motto to rip off that dont know difference in what they buy besides logo splashed onto it.

The screen on Macbooks are generally much better in terms of brightness and colour accuracy.

PC laptops especially at the cheaper end are abysmal. Good screens are expensive.

The actual cost of an item is it's depreciation.

Since Macs don't depreciate as much and just last the true cost is often lower.....

They depreciate a lot at the start.

But any object will retain some value longer simply because it was more expensive to begin with. People are also less likely to change something frequently if was expensive also.

beauf wrote: »
    They depreciate a lot at the start.

But any object will retain some value longer simply because it was more expensive to begin with. People are also likely to change something if was expensive also.

Not really. Selling a Mac every two years seems to make financial sense. The depreciation isn't that much - look at the refurbished costs.

The build my own PC guys don't seem to realise that they have sunk the entire costs of the materials they have bought (and their own labour) into something unsellable.

• Advertisement

Not really. Selling a Mac every two years seems to make financial sense. The depreciation isn't that much - look at the refurbished costs.

The build my own PC guys don't seem to realise that they have sunk the entire costs of the materials they have bought (and their own labour) into something unsellable.

There was a typo in my comment. Less likely is what it should have said.

The longer you keep something the cost per year decreases. Selling it early has the opposite effect.

Unsellable? The used PC market has always been massive. Good hardware isn't cheap even 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ah, the age old story. God v Satan, Playstation v XBox, Android v iOS, Mac v Windows. OP, you picked the wrong forum to ask your question. There was a debate in here on if people thought U2 are sh1te. That thread turned out much the same as this one - lots of pro shouting at anti people.

They both have their pros and cons but it comes down to what you want, need and can afford to spend. Personally I'd go with a Windows based machine but that's just my own preference. I've used both systems a lot for years and just prefer Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

FanadMan wrote: »
    Ah, the age old story. God v Satan, Playstation v XBox, Android v iOS, Mac v Windows. OP, you picked the wrong forum to ask your question. There was a debate in here on if people thought U2 are sh1te. That thread turned out much the same as this one - lots of pro shouting at anti people.

They both have their pros and cons but it comes down to what you want, need and can afford to spend. Personally I'd go with a Windows based machine but that's just my own preference. I've used both systems a lot for years and just prefer Windows.

Piff,...

It's obviously Blur VS Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Macs are no good for high-end use, this is why people build their own rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

seachto7 wrote: »
    Maybe this ain’t the right forum, but should be good for a laugh at the very least?

I’m in the market most likely for a laptop. A desktop wouldn’t be practical for me now.

Looking at a Macbook, but bloody hell, they seem, to me, to be way overpriced. I’d only be using it for general stuff and some music making, but nothing high powered. Demos using plugins etc.

Advice has been to look at a high spec Windows machine, like a gaming machine, which would have the power to service my needs, but from what I’ve seen, these can still be pricey enough.

The big question is, paying €1,200 for a Macbook and, say, €600 for a high spec Windows machine, which is going to last longer?

I’ve had laptops that have fried after a few years, so in the long run might have been better paying for a Mac, and it lasting for ages.

No CD/DVD drive is a let down for the Apples too.

And I won’t post the Snuff Box sketch either….

I've had both. For your purpose I really think a macbook would be more suited. The OS is way nicer than windows and is really geared towards creative people. You have a wealth of music applications with garageband included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

srsly78 wrote: »

That is why movie studios use Mac Pros to do all their editing. Give me a break.

It was Commodore vs Atari back then.

Probably more like Commodore Vs Amiga.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That is why movie studios use Mac Pros to do all their editing. Give me a break.
    Some movie studios, Macs are easy to buy off the shelf ready to go, if the studio is already set up for macs they kind of need to stick with those macs. I'd say when you get into more hardcore stuff you'd be looking at custom built machines, and if it's custom built it's likely to be running windows or linux.

I use adobe software from photoshop to adobe after effects. I'm on old software now but when I got the creative suite there were features that just didn't work on mac. Rendering effects on the fly required windows and a Nvidia graphics card.

Maybe that's changed but there's no requirement for macs in creative arts on computers. Most professionals don't use the software that came bundled with their PC. Many bought into the mac structure but they're using software that will run just as well on a PC, often run even better because windows can make use of new technology quicker than mac.

I'm a PC man but this is silly. Macs have been the go to systems for designers, audio heads, media types etc for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm a PC man but this is silly. Macs have been the go to systems for designers, audio heads, media types etc for years now.
    That's been the impression in the general public, but plenty of people use PCs as well, it just makes financial sense. I think once you've chosen mac you're going to stick with that brand for compatibility reasons but plenty of startups in the last 15 years just went PC. Like I said PC comes with better value. A media company might have macs when you walk in the door for presentation reasons but I'd say plenty have a back room full of cheaper PCs doing the grunt work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Errr none of that is high-end really. Macs have always been used in some niche areas, and people still use them because that's what they are used to.

Conversely, noone uses a mac for gaming or as a mining rig, or for any kind of supercomputing.

Errr none of that is high-end really. Macs have always been used in some niche areas, and people still use them because that's what they are used to.

Conversely, noone uses a mac for gaming or as a mining rig, or for any kind of supercomputing.

No one uses a net book for it either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No one uses a net book for it either?
    PC's cover a lot more than netbooks though.

Billy86 wrote: »
    PC's cover a lot more than netbooks though.

The only difference between a PC and Mac is the OS and Chassis. (and screens in the MacBooks). The hardware is the same. So if you buy a machine and pay extra for that software. Its makes zero sense to not use that software as it was designed.

So its a daft argument that you would use a mac for mining or super commuting.

The difference is the software not the hardware. If you do not find value in the software then you won't use it. If you do them you will. Ditto the chassis and screens.

The only difference between a PC and Mac is the OS and Chassis. (and screens in the MacBooks). The hardware is the same. So if you buy a machine and pay extra for that software. Its makes zero sense to not use that software as it was designed.

So its a daft argument that you would use a mac for mining or super commuting.....

Is that where you travel on a bus journey and no matter how short, you take out your Mac so everyone can see how cool you are :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Is that where you travel on a bus journey and no matter how short, you take out your Mac so everyone can see how cool you are :pac::pac:

Computers have faster bus speed these days... :P

I don't want to derail the thread but ...
    http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/07/unknown-woman-sets-up-imac-on-train-in-london.html

Computers have faster bus speed these days... :P

I don't want to derail the thread but ...
    http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/07/unknown-woman-sets-up-imac-on-train-in-london.html

That's crazy :pac:

A guerrilla marketing campaign maybe though?

• Advertisement

I was wondering that.

Advertisement