Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work - Which bike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The €600 bike is clearly a better bikevall round, better groupset with much easier to manage gear shifters (tourney is a cheap horrible nasty groupset) Hydraulic brakes as opposed to mechanical which need constant attention and adjustment and a better front fork. I'd sacrifice the extra €200 and get the VooDoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

The €600 bike is clearly a better bikevall round, better groupset with much easier to manage gear shifters (tourney is a cheap horrible nasty groupset) Hydraulic brakes as opposed to mechanical which need constant attention and adjustment and a better front fork. I'd sacrifice the extra €200 and get the VooDoo.

Thank you. I looked up the specifications but they were like double Dutch to me.

For those of you who do mountain biking, would you recommend get the cleats and peddles. Wouldn't be ready for them get but If I’m doing bike to work it may be worth while getting them with the bike for the potential discount

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Buy good grippy flat pedals to get you started, for off road use they're probably better.

I had flat pedals on my MTB for a few months after buying it but then got clipless pedals but bought pedals which are flat on one side and clip in on the other as I prefer to be unclipped for fast descending where I may need to put a foot down in a hurry.

Buy good grippy flat pedals to get you started, for off road use they're probably better.

I had flat pedals on my MTB for a few months after buying it but then got clipless pedals but bought pedals which are flat on one side and clip in on the other as I prefer to be unclipped for fast descending where I may need to put a foot down in a hurry.

Could you recommend a good set of pedals like that and shoes that are not overly expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Could you recommend a good set of pedals like that and shoes that are not overly expensive?

I have these,

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212405&productId=175544&storeId=11101

• Advertisement

dylbert wrote: »

Cool thanks. Shoes wise would you think a pair of karrimor trail runners would work with them?. sole is pretty tough and better grip than your standard pair of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

I use a pair of Shimano boot/cycle shoe that i've had for past 20 years .I find that trail runners or even karrimor boots are too soft in the sole .

Use SPD cleats ,but clip out on bits where i may need to dab down .

Have a look on line chain reaction have a fair choice.

I wish you luck with cycle to work scheme as my firm are slow to say the least ,has taken nearly 2 months for accounts to do their bit now awaiting my voucher.
    Here's hoping it will be before August when i've signed up for "Da Cooley Thriller "

Advertisement