Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

study hours in GMIT?

Options
  • 14-07-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

How many hours a week study involved in software development course GMIT? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

So you are looking at around 20-22 hours Lectures and Labs. These will be split out over the week so you can some days find yourself in College from 9-5 but you might actually only have 4-5 hours of classes that day. If you are lucky you might even get a timetable that lets you have Fridays off. Don't expect that though.

Obviously then it's up to yourself how much extra work you put in outside those hours. Everyone is different some will put in very little and some will put in a lot of extra hours. It's not bad in 1st year anyway as the assignments aren't too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mayoman007

This reply I have recieved from GMIT of my timetable queruy, I wish would have friday off, so I would able to work part-time somewhere on fridays and saturdays.

The programme is a full time course. As such, there are approximately 22 hours of lectures per week in the first year of the programme spread over Monday to Friday. You could expect to have to do the same amount of work outside lectures in order to complete any assignments and learning that are needed.

Java is the programming language for the first year of the course and we presume that everyone is starting on the same level. I would advise regular attendance to ensure that you can keep up with the work load.

Like I said everyone is different with how much time they need to spend outside class hours on assignments and reviewing course content. Some weeks you may need to put in a lot of work outside class, other weeks you might not. But the assignments in first year aren't too bad. Kinda depends on how much practice you need with programming really. Have you done any programming before?

September and October are mostly about getting settled into the college anyway so it won't be too hectic to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mayoman007

I have learned HTML & CSS last year and recently started learning MYSQL queries. I have watched Some java tutorials online and most of the java has gone over my head.

Mayoman007 wrote: »
    I have learned HTML & CSS last year and recently started learning MYSQL queries. I have watched Some java tutorials online and most of the java has gone over my head.

HTML and CSS is a very good starting point for 1st year. If (course does change fairly quickly) you have the same as me you'll have HTML and CSS before Xmas and Javascript after.

MySQL is covered in 2nd year. We covered it after xmas.

The good news about Java is the teacher you will have for it is fairly on his game. He's very well organised and trust me that will become one of the things you'll value most in a lecturer. He'll cover it from the very basics and you'll have more time with Java than any other subject. Put in the work in the labs especially and you'll be ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement