Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb - Host using another agency to manage booking

Options
  • 14-07-2017 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys,

We have booked an apartment in Fuerteventura for 10 days. Booking was accepted and everything looked above board until I was contacted via WhatsApp by an agency looking for flight details, copy of my passport etc.

I contacted the host and they said that they had an agency managing the apartment. So I sent the flight details and they sent through a "welcome letter". Again they requested a copy of my passport to draw up a contract. I ignored this cause as far as I am concerned my contract would be between Airbnb and the host.

Today, I was contacted again for a copy of my passport for the contract with this agency so I contacted the host. I explained that I'm not happy to share my personal information with a 3rd party and they reassured me that everything would be fine and to provide the relevant info.

Something isn't sitting right or am I just over reacting? Is this permitted for a host to use another agency for an Airbnb booking? I can't see anything in their terms and conditions.

Thanks in advance,
    Vickser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

vickser wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We have booked an apartment in Fuerteventura for 10 days. Booking was accepted and everything looked above board until I was contacted via WhatsApp by an agency looking for flight details, copy of my passport etc.

I contacted the host and they said that they had an agency managing the apartment. So I sent the flight details and they sent through a "welcome letter". Again they requested a copy of my passport to draw up a contract. I ignored this cause as far as I am concerned my contract would be between Airbnb and the host.

Today, I was contacted again for a copy of my passport for the contract with this agency so I contacted the host. I explained that I'm not happy to share my personal information with a 3rd party and they reassured me that everything would be fine and to provide the relevant info.

Something isn't sitting right or am I just over reacting? Is this permitted for a host to use another agency for an Airbnb booking? I can't see anything in their terms and conditions.

Thanks in advance,
    Vickser.

run, sounds like they are going to scam you.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

vickser wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance,
    Vickser.

I am only like 70% sure on this but my understanding is that if you book on AirBnB there should be no messing around with any other parties. I think even contact outside of the app/website is frowned upon. Again though- not 100% sure.

Has the host many reviews? From that property or any other ones?

There's no downside to getting on to AirBnB and running it by them.

If it is bogey then better to find out sooner rather than later so you can arrange somewhere else if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

If you go outside the airbnb platform you will have zero comeback if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Under Spanish short term letting laws that were brought in last year one of the requirements is for the host/agent to have a copy of guests passports. So it is a requirement under Spanish law. T&C of airbnb require you to abide by local laws, airbnb is just a medium for booking through. The host is entitled to use an agent as they are probably not resident there. Same way hosts here would use a airbnb service for managing the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vickser

Thank you all for your help. I got in touch with Airbnb and they confirmed it's legit and above board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement