Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Mexico

• 15-07-2017 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭

I'm living in Texas at the moment and thinking of a road trip down to Nuevo Laredo with friends when they visit from Ireland. Anyone any advice on doing this? More basically, is it advisable? I know there's a lot of violence associated with the cartels there but is it genuinely dangerous for tourists? I know tourism isn't unusual there, but I dont want to be stupid going down there either. Also for people over from Ireland on a visa waiver (I have a green card) is crossing over and back a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Also for people over from Ireland on a visa waiver (I have a green card) is crossing over and back a problem?

No it's not a problem, it's specifically permitted.

When you're there on a 90 day tourist permit under the visa waiver program, you are allowed visit Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' within the 90 days and return to the US on the same permit. The clock stays running so your original permit will expire on the same day regardless of how much time you spend outside the US.

But even if you visited Brazil, the ESTA permit is multi-entry so as long as it hasn't expired, you could simply re-enter the US as a tourist on a new trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Personally....I wouldnt do it.

Americans are caught up in the violence all the time. They even had some embassy personnel ambushed and killed a few years back and its not getting any better. This year has been one of the most violent years ever.

Here's the US State Department Warning:

Tamaulipas (includes Matamoros, Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa, and Tampico): U.S. citizens should defer all non-essential travel to the state of Tamaulipas due to violent crime, including homicide, armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, and sexual assault. The number of reported kidnappings in Tamaulipas is among the highest in Mexico. State and municipal law enforcement capacity is limited to nonexistent in many parts of Tamaulipas. Violent criminal activity occurs more frequently along the northern border and organized criminal groups may target public and private passenger buses traveling through Tamaulipas. These groups sometimes take all passengers hostage and demand ransom payments. U.S. government personnel are subject to movement restrictions and a curfew between midnight and 6 a.m. Matamoros, Reynosa, Nuevo Laredo, and Ciudad Victoria have experienced numerous gun battles and attacks with explosive devices in the past year.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well that answers that question! We'll just drive to Disneyland or some place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I just saw a story last night on rte about an Irish tourist in Mexico who was shot and killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I just saw a story last night on rte about an Irish tourist in Mexico who was shot and killed.
    In Tamaulipas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Advertisement