Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renegotiating Sale Agreed Price

Options
  • 15-07-2017 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I just want to get a few opinions on this.

I have recently gone Sale Agreed on a property, got the valuation done, surveyors report, full mortgage approval, I was good to go....

Until I sat down and read the Surveyors Report. After reading the report, I had an industry friend read it, and he assessed the issues with the house. I am looking at conservatively 15k.

So I contacted the EA about the possibility of renegotiating the price, I forwarded the relevant extracts of the report in an email........

Then nothing for 2 weeks, no reply or phonecall, until this week(at about 5 minutes before the EAs office closes).

The general tone of the EA was "whats the issue, I must be joking"

They hadn't even contacted the vendor to let them know I wanted to renegotiate and 2 weeks has gone by since I initially contacted the EA!!

The EA dismissed my new offer, even though further on in the conversation stated they hadn't even looked at the report extracts until this week, nor had they contacted the vendor about possibly renegotiating.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Depends. If the 15k is for fairly cosmetic things I might carry on at the agreed price. If its important stuff the vendor should have known about and factored into the negotiation I might stick to my guns and not go through with it at the agreed price. The EA presumably thinks you'll forget about it if he doesnt bother contacting the vendor. Cocky EAs are one of my red rags now.

However my thinking may be coloured by buying an expensive house four years ago and still finding poor workmanship throughout, as if the vendor (a builder by trade) knew he was selling me a pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

What are the issues? I think every report I've ever read would cost at least 15k to implement the recommendations. E.g windows are old, boiler should be upgraded to efficient model, insulation is inadequate

None of the above would merit renegotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What are the issues? I think every report I've ever read would cost at least 15k to implement the recommendations. E.g windows are old, boiler should be upgraded to efficient model, insulation is inadequate

None of the above would merit renegotiation.

There are cosmetic issues with the house, we had factored those in. The issue is a structural one, one we weren't aware of when viewed, nor were we made aware of!!

I suppose I'm more annoyed at the EAs attitude towards the issue, they were only short of laughing down the phone at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Depends. If the 15k is for fairly cosmetic things I might carry on at the agreed price. If its important stuff the vendor should have known about and factored into the negotiation I might stick to my guns and not go through with it at the agreed price. The EA presumably thinks you'll forget about it if he doesnt bother contacting the vendor. Cocky EAs are one of my red rags now.

Personally Im sick of dealing with EAs, But this one in particular is one ill never deal with again if the deal falls through!!

The EA dismissed the issue and the suggestion of renegotiating the price until I told them to have my booking deposit ready for next week, all of sudden they were going to contact the vendor and get back to me!!

Advertisement