Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What top to wear with a mermaid skirt?

• 15-07-2017 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭

As a die-hard tomboy, I don't get how to dress in girl clothes. The materials alone baffle me. Give me a man's structured cotton shirt and baggy-boyfriend-bootcut wranglers and I am at peace with the universe. Put me in a stretchy outfit that shows me shape and I am beyond lost and uneasy.

A girlfriend picked out a feminine skirt for me, and I don't want to let her down, but I don't know what to wear as a shirt with this...ehh...mermaidish thang. It's clingy then flary at the knees and doesn't reach to my ankles. It has this wide fold-over waist-flap(?) that I don't know what to do with (totally foreign, my beloved menswear has no such wonderments).

I tried wearing it once and got (unexpected) compliments, buuuuut tucking in a man's shirt just doesn't look right. The material and shape are really throwing me off... I know this is basic stuff for y'all, but what kind of top would you wear with this girly skirt? And what shoes would be appropriate? I am stuck with flats, sandals or boots.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I don't entirely agree with you about the shirt. A striped, collared crisp blue-and-white could look very good. Anything sailor-ish, too. For daytime, that is. After-6 is a whole other ballgame.

One tip: you don't "tuck" too tightly into this waistline. Tuck it in, then pull out a layer all around so that it puffs gently over the band - this is called "bloused" and is much more comfortable, and a looser, more feminine silhouette.

Something like this -- http://tinyurl.com/y6vdgcxh

With shorter sleeves, you could wear that at the office perfectly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Oh that is beautiful (and not something I would know to look for), thank you!!!
    The skirt is black (forgot to say). Oh no, I am not :eek: an after-6 fancy dresser (for sure). Thanks for the great advice! :)
    Blousing is good to learn, thanks!

Oh :D I have a crisp blue and white stripe! Hmmm, but it's a mans shirt and looks more like this... I dunno, you think it's good with the girly skirt? (cos it's my favourite shirt!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think you could, maybe with a belt. A wide red belt and a red scarf loosely outside the collar?

Another way to wear a top would be to find a loose, flowy smock-type top that doesn't tuck in at all but drapes down below the waist.
    Any colour - black always works, or red, deep blue, lace...just needs to be assertive. Great if it matches your shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

ok, cool - ta!

Ooooh, I googled smock-top, not form fitting, like it! :D
    Assertive? :o oh my. Being invisible is more my thing, but I shall try.
    (I only have black shoes.)

Thanks for the solid advice Day Lewin! Appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Id go with a nice shirt or even a fitted T shirt in white, black or striped that you could tuck into the skirt. Keep it simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement