Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree suggestions for a wedding present

Options
  • 15-07-2017 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for a tree suitable for a wedding present - don't even know how much a tree would cost (Id also be giving cash)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do the couple have a big garden?
    trees will cost anything from about €20 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

do the couple have a big garden?
    trees will cost anything from about €20 upwards.

The live in a bungalow on a farm. Budget approx. 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

My parents have a stunning red chestnut that they got as a wedding present nearly 40 years ago. I don't know where you're based but there's an Irish Tree Centre near Mitchelstown in Cork that sells more mature trees. I've no idea how much they cost though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Cant beat a cherry blossom. Everyone loves a cherry blossom.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Willow probably a bad idea as they tend to split after a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How about two apple trees (you will need two for pollinaton :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Tea tree from Mr Middleton... It's about €20 and sure when they sit down for a cuppa they mite remember when and where they got it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

curly hazel? you'd pick up a decent sized one for about €40 i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oak is always popular, but I always figure that you can't go wrong with a fruit tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Cornus controversa variegata aka The wedding cake tree, doesn't come much better than this for a wedding gift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Cornus controversa variegata aka The wedding cake tree, doesn't come much better than this for a wedding gift.

Just googled it - it's well named!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

looksee wrote: »
    How about two apple trees (you will need two for pollinaton :) )

+1

I gave my friend a pair of apple trees, it's quite symbolic for a wedding present. They are lovely trees, have lovely blossoms and bear fruit regularly. Can't remember now what they were but I chose traditional varieties that were compatible for pollination.

They were and still are delighted with them. I also bought them trees when each of their children were born. Thankfully they have a big garden :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Cant beat a cherry blossom. Everyone loves a cherry blossom.
    But weren't they associated with the Japanese kamikazes? Its a one-way ticket to disaster. The Flying Idiot.

Pear trees not great either. Everything goes... pear-shaped, after the fruit arrives.

Apples are the only safe trees IMO.

Advertisement