Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options
  • 15-07-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey just a quick question here, flatmate started a job and he's waking me up at 6.30 am average every morning, I don't need to get up at that time, have trouble getting back to sleep, exhausted and can't focus all day, surely he could have a shower the night before and still be fresh, because I would do that to show consideration if our position was reversed , any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Tell him you are waking every morning, and ask if he could shower the night before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Rackstar wrote: »
    Tell him you are waking every morning, and ask if he could shower the night before?

And go to work manky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

get earplugs, your flatmate is entitled to have a shower before work. i think your sensitivity is the issue, if you cant live with people move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Get some earplugs

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Hey just a quick question here, flatmate started a job and he's waking me up at 6.30 am average every morning, I don't need to get up at that time, have trouble getting back to sleep, exhausted and can't focus all day, surely he could have a shower the night before and still be fresh, because I would do that to show consideration if our position was reversed , any thoughts?

I need a shower in the morning to wake up
    What time do you get up at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Tigger wrote: »
    Rackstar wrote: »

And go to work manky?
    Millions of people have a shower the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not to suit their flatmate

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Millions of people don't shower at all.

get earplugs, your flatmate is entitled to have a shower before work. i think your sensitivity is the issue, if you cant live with people move out.
    I have earplugs, the wall is paperthin and it sounds like a jet engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Get some 3M earplugs. They're comfy and you get used to them fairly quick. Might even have a better overall sleep, too.

Showering the night before. I don't get that. Beds are sweaty.

Tigger wrote: »

I need a shower in the morning to wake up
    8.00 am

Pumped showers are annoying to be fair.
    It's not unreasonable for a person to have a shower though.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Get some 3M earplugs. They're comfy and you get used to them fairly quick. Might even have a better overall sleep, too.

Unless you're doing 50 laps of the Phoenix park all night I don't see how you can work up a sweat by sleeping still in bed.

Grayditch wrote: »

I have earplugs, I use them every night.

Any other people have this problem and how did they deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This would piss me off aswell. I lived with a chap who woke at 5.30ish and got home at 11.30ish, a solicitor working the bollix off himself. He only took a break on a Sunday, though Saturday he'd get home early so it was only the morning that was a problem. He'd shower in the morning, shower in the night, cook, throw on his washing, put on the dryer, turn on all the lights, stomp all over the place, and have the TV on through all this.

I let him off because I said there's no way he can keep this up. My god was I wrong.

Nip it in the bud op, tell him straight out. In shared accommodation you can't be behaving like that. If that's the lifestyle he wants he will have to pay for it and get single occupancy.

naughtb4 wrote: »

Not to suit their flatmate
    If I pay rent I think Im entitled to a decent nights sleep, dont you, Would you like to be woken up at 6.30 am every morning, if you're not going to post helpful suggestions then don't waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If I pay rent I think Im entitled to a decent nights sleep, dont you, Would you like to be woken up at 6.30 am every morning, if you're not going to post helpful suggestions then don't waste my time.

Very cranky. I think you need more sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Half 6 isn't an unreasonable time to get up , if I was him I wouldn't be changing my morning routine to suit you sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Collie D wrote: »

That's exactly it. This is having a huge effect on the op's endocrine system.

myshirt wrote: »

Nip it in the bud op, tell him straight out. In shared accommodation you can't be behaving like that. If that's the lifestyle he wants he will have to pay for it and get single occupancy.
    I doubt getting up at 630 is the lifestyle he wants. He's just getting off his ass and working.

myshirt wrote: »
    Collie D wrote: »

That's exactly it. This is having a huge effect on the op's endocrine system.
    Not really :), to be honest I don't think it's much to ask for an hour and a half extra sleep.

Well I'll guess we'll have to go our separate ways then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Deub

Like he is entitled to take a shower in the morning.
    You can ask if he doesn't mind taking a shower in the evening.
    If he doesn't want, you don't really have a choice: Move out and make sure the sound proofing in your next place is top notch or your bedroom is not next to the bathroom or kitchen.

Get earplugs as many people have said

Unless you're doing 50 laps of the Phoenix park all night I don't see how you can work up a sweat by sleeping still in bed.

A morning shower is essential If you work in a customer facing role
    What does he do ? What do you do that you don't need to get up till 8

Deub wrote: »

Like he is entitled to take a shower in the morning.
    You can ask if he doesn't mind taking a shower in the evening.
    If he doesn't want, you don't really have a choice: Move out and make sure the sound proofing in your next place is top notch or your bedroom is not next to the bathroom or kitchen.
    Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm a sweater at night so I need to have a shower in the morning, this guy could be the same.
    I know everyone is different but 630 isn't that early and asking someone to shower at night time would be akin to suggest that you go to bed earlier.

Have you tried different earplugs, different models mould differently in your ears and can really block out everything.

• Advertisement

hairyslug wrote: »
    I'm a sweater at night so I need to have a shower in the morning, this guy could be the same.
    I know everyone is different but 630 isn't that early and asking someone to shower at night time would be akin to suggest that you go to bed earlier.

Have you tried different earplugs, different models mould differently in your ears and can really block out everything.
    Me too I am horrible if I don't shower in the morning

Advertisement