Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It's unfortunate OP but I don't think it's something you can ask him to change.

Not a chance would I leave the house without a shower in the morning and I think most people would be the same. If he has to be up at 6.30 for work he doesn't really have a choice. Now if he was getting up to go to gym it would be very different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Kraft.l wrote:
    If I pay rent I think Im entitled to a decent nights sleep, dont you, Would you like to be woken up at 6.30 am every morning, if you're not going to post helpful suggestions then don't waste my time.

Last time I checked, quality of sleep isn't included in any rent agreements. However your flatmate pays rent and is actually entitled to use the shower. I'm sure it is frustrating and I sympathise but to ask him to change his routine because it wakes you through no fault of his own (paper thin walls and a pump shower) is a bit much. For me personally a shower in the morning is just as crucial to my day as a good night's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

hairyslug wrote: »
    I'm a sweater at night so I need to have a shower in the morning, this guy could be the same.
    I know everyone is different but 630 isn't that early and asking someone to shower at night time would be akin to suggest that you go to bed earlier.

Have you tried different earplugs, different models mould differently in your ears and can really block out everything.
    what kind of earplugs do you recommend?

Tigger wrote: »
    Kraft.l wrote: »
    Unless you're doing 50 laps of the Phoenix park all night I don't see how you can work up a sweat by sleeping still in bed.

A morning shower is essential If you work in a customer facing role
    What does he do ? What do you do that you don't need to get up till 8
    I work with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

what kind of earplugs do you recommend?

Have a look at gear gremlin rocket plugs, I use them on my bike, they are the only ones I find that stay in my ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You could go to bed and hour and a half earlier OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Go to bed earlier, get up earlier, do something with the time. I had/have an issue with neighbours dogs. Talking / shouting didnt solve it.

Switched my routine, I get up before work, go running and use the time I was being kept awake anyway. Life is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I would be the same. I prefer to shower in the morning it is my preference and I feel fresh after it. As a previous poster pointed out could you go to be 1.5 hours earlier and that way you get the same hours sleep. Do what ever you need to do in those 1.5 hours in the morning time.

If you get on well with each other, is it possible for you to swap rooms, would that help.

As another poster mentioned it is up to you to check out the shower and partitions when you view a property, especially with bathrooms/kitchens beside the bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You could try get the landlord to upgrade the pump. Cheap pumps can as you say sound like some industrial machine. Top of the range pumps can be almost silent but come at a price. Could be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

To be fair he is getting up at a normal time and you are getting up late. No one sharing a house could be asked to be quiet for someone only getting up at 8am. That is lie in territory.

• Advertisement

James 007 wrote: »
    I would be the same. I prefer to shower in the morning it is my preference and I feel fresh after it. As a previous poster pointed out could you go to be 1.5 hours earlier and that way you get the same hours sleep. Do what ever you need to do in those 1.5 hours in the morning time.

If you get on well with each other, is it possible for you to swap rooms, would that help.

As another poster mentioned it is up to you to check out the shower and partitions when you view a property, especially with bathrooms/kitchens beside the bedrooms.
    Surely he could use the shower in work, and show consideration for me who pays rent to live there and is entitled to my sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Kraft.l wrote:
    Surely he could use the shower in work, and show consideration for me who pays rent to live there and is entitled to my sleep.

You're actually getting more unreasonable as the thread goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

630 isn't an unreasonable time to have a shower. Sleep through it or get your own place.

Your answers here just make me think you're overly sensitive and a overly light sleeper. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kraft.l wrote:

Yeah, I think you're just trolling now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are being petty.

6:30 is a normal time to be getting up.

You are the unusual one having a job that lets you sleep in every day.

Just turn over and go back to sleep. If you cannot get back to sleep, then you didn't need it anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

6.30 isn't early.

Anything after 6am during the week is normal.

To be fair he is getting up at a normal time and you are getting up late. No one sharing a house could be asked to be quiet for someone only getting up at 8am. That is lie in territory.
    When I get up and my flatmate is asleep I go out of my way to show consideration by making no noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

OP, what if your housemate worked nights, and only got up at half 9?
    Would you change your morning routine to suit him?

When I get up and my flatmate is asleep I go out of my way to show consideration by making absolutely no noise at all, because it's selfish, immature and unbelievably inconsiderate to just wake people up that don't need to get up at that time, you see it's a thing that adults develop as they get older whereas to see it from the other persons point of view, children just make noise and wake people up with no consideration.

Is he knocking on your door in the mornings going WAKEY WAKEY RISE AND SHINE!?

I kind of hope he is :D

OP, what if your housemate worked nights, and only got up at half 9?
    Would you change your morning routine to suit him?
    Id either have a shower at whatever time that he'd be awake so as to show consideration.

• Advertisement

When I get up and my flatmate is asleep I go out of my way to show consideration by not being noisy.

Is he knocking on your door in the mornings going WAKEY WAKEY RISE AND SHINE!?

I kind of hope he is :D
    What time do you get up at?

Between 5.30 and 6 depending on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He should have a shower in bed with ear plugs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Kraft.l wrote:
    When I get up and my flatmate is asleep I go out of my way to show consideration by making absolutely no noise at all, because it's selfish, immature and unbelievably inconsiderate to just wake people up that don't need to get up at that time, you see it's a thing that adults develop as they get older whereas to see it from the other persons point of view, children just make noise and wake people up with no consideration.

Asking someone to forgo basic personal hygiene, because you can't sleep is hardly the epitome of maturity op. You choose to be silent when you get up and he's asleep, It's not a requirement you're trying to make yourself out to be a martyr here.

Living with people is crap, you either adapt or get your own place. 6.30 is a totally normal time to get up. He's not the one with the issue here.

You are being petty.

6:30 is a normal time to be getting up.

You are the unusual one having a job that lets you sleep in every day.

Just turn over and go back to sleep. If you cannot get back to sleep, then you didn't need it anyways.
    Maybe for you getting up at that time is normal, and no I'm not being petty, I can't go back to sleep and I can't focus on things I need to do in the day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Feck's sake lads, can you all stop posting so LOUDLY?

I'm not up for another 7 minutes and yez have me wrecked for the day already...

:mad:

Jaysus, what the hell do you do at that hour.

Jaysus, what the hell do you do at that hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Recliner

There was an identical thread on this topic a number of months ago. AFAIR most people were in agreement that the showering housemate was in the right. You can ask but you can't expect anyone to change their personal hygiene habits to suit you. At least he's showering. I work with a few, male and female, who I'd swear rarely do.

Also I do agree that 6.30 isn't that early to get up. I'm usually up at that time or a bit earlier for work. I appreciate that it's a change to your environment but I'd be willing to bet your housemate hasn't a clue that it's annoying you at all.

Paying rent doesn't entitle you to certain number of hours sleep. Growing up my bedroom backed onto my neighbours bathroom. Thin walls meant
    I heard every toilet flush and the shower every morning. The husband had an early starting time for his job. Nothing I could do. You have options.

Advertisement