Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Get up at 5 am. Take a shower. See how your flat mate likes it. Use all the hot water while you're at it. Better still disable the hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Kraft.l wrote:
    When I get up and my flatmate is asleep I go out of my way to show consideration by making absolutely no noise at all, because it's selfish, immature and unbelievably inconsiderate to just wake people up that don't need to get up at that time, you see it's a thing that adults develop as they get older whereas to see it from the other persons point of view, children just make noise and wake people up with no consideration.

Asking someone to forgo basic personal hygiene, because you can't sleep is hardly the epitome of maturity op. You choose to be silent when you get up and he's asleep, It's not a requirement you're trying to make yourself out to be a martyr here.

Living with people is crap, you either adapt or get your own place. 6.30 is a totally normal time to get up. He's not the one with the issue here.
    Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OP, can you add a poll to the thread?

Im gonna have to start going to bed early, until I get my own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Kraft.l wrote:
    When I get up and my flatmate is asleep I go out of my way to show consideration by making absolutely no noise at all, because it's selfish, immature and unbelievably inconsiderate to just wake people up that don't need to get up at that time, you see it's a thing that adults develop as they get older whereas to see it from the other persons point of view, children just make noise and wake people up with no consideration.

The only noise issue is a shower so presumably the housemate is going out of their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Kraft.l wrote: »

You never know, you may actually enjoy getting up earlier and having more time to do stuff in the morning, I found that I was a lot more relaxed through out the day as I was not in any panic at the start of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Would swapping bedrooms help? Is your bedroom particularly close to the bathroom.

We get on well, going to bed earlier is not so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Tigger wrote: »
    And go to work manky?

If you shower every night and change your bedclothes regularly nobody would manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Kraft.l wrote:

But he's not doing it deliberately. As someone mentioned he's not back on your door, he's doing his own thing and consideration for other people can only go so far. You yourself are not being very considerate of the fact that you get an extra hour and half in bed while he has to go to work, it's not his fault you can't back to sleep, nor are you considering how important other people's hygiene routines are to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Millions of people don't shower at all.

Yeah every morning on the train there are smelly fockers. Personal hygiene is pretty poor out there. More noticeable at this time of year. And no folks you're not fooling anyone with lynx.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

myshirt wrote: »
    This would piss me off aswell. I lived with a chap who woke at 5.30ish and got home at 11.30ish, a solicitor working the bollix off himself. He only took a break on a Sunday, though Saturday he'd get home early so it was only the morning that was a problem. He'd shower in the morning, shower in the night, cook, throw on his washing, put on the dryer, turn on all the lights, stomp all over the place, and have the TV on through all this.

I let him off because I said there's no way he can keep this up. My god was I wrong.

Nip it in the bud op, tell him straight out. In shared accommodation you can't be behaving like that. If that's the lifestyle he wants he will have to pay for it and get single occupancy.

It seems like you're confusing the OP's situation with the one you had.
    Nip it in the bud?
    In shared accommodation you can't be behaving like that?

The chap is getting up for work and having a shower.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Kraft.l wrote:

The only noise issue is a shower so presumably the housemate is going out of their way.
    Fair enough.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Millions of people don't shower at all.

Yeah every morning on the train there are smelly fockers. Personal hygiene is pretty poor out there. More noticeable at this time of year. And no folks you're not fooling anyone with lynx.
    Yeah I definitely agree with that, I can't stand Bo on people.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Kraft.l wrote:

But he's not doing it deliberately. As someone mentioned he's not back on your door, he's doing his own thing and consideration for other people can only go so far. You yourself are not being very considerate of the fact that you get an extra hour and half in bed while he has to go to work, it's not his fault you can't back to sleep, nor are you considering how important other people's hygiene routines are to them.
    True he is considerate and I'll start to look for my own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Is it one of those poxy noisy electric showers loved by the Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Go to sleep 90 mins earlier op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I sympathize with your situation, OPer. The problem is that these modern electric power showers are really noisy. I rent rooms out in my house, and I have a rule whereby, within reason, nobody takes showers while other people are sleeping (generally between 23:00 and 8:00 is prohibited).

If you want to be diplomatic, I suggest that you use earplugs. You can get a few weeks use out of a pair (by washing them with warm soapy water now and then). These 3M™ E-A-R™ E-A-Rsoft FX Earplugs seem to be the best (highest rating of noise reduction).

You could probably buy a 2- or 5-pack to see if they're effective enough, before splashing out on a 200-pack (the above link is for 200, I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Leo would love this early riser ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I have my own place and the neighbours pumped shower wakes me up every morning at 6.45.
    Can you try soundproofing the pump?
    I just get up early now and go to gym before work instead of cracking up being woken too early.

• Advertisement

I think it is, Its loud alright feels like it's gonna take off or something.

I think it is, Its loud alright feels like it's gonna take off or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

OP, as mentioned before 6.30 am is not that early to be getting up for work for most people. I'm starting work when you're just getting up at 8 am, and many other people are mid-commute! Therefore I think your perspective is a bit skewed on that.

However the main issue seems to be the noisy shower. I really don't think it's fair to ask someone to change their regular personal habits to suit your more than adequate sleep routine and I think you're seeing that based on your responses here. This is what they call The Joys Of Shared Accommodation. The only reason I could see for you asking him to shower at night would be if you worked very late shifts and were only getting in at say, 6 am. Then it might be appropriate to ask him to move his shower schedule around so as not to wake you after only a couple of hours sleep. Unless you go to bed very late, 6.30 am, while inconvenient if it's not the time YOU get up at, is hardly middle of the night territory.

I know you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of your landlord changing the shower to one of the quieter models available now (I believe Mira do an electric shower that's 75% quieter than others, for instance) but it might be worth considering for when you get your own place and may have the same issues with a partner or potential lodgers, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I presume the majority of people like to shower in the morning. I shower at night during the week but I go for a run late morning or lunchtime Mon - Thursday and shower in work afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Jaysus, what the hell do you do at that hour.

Wake up my housemates and then go back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Kraft, out of curiosity what time do you normally go to bed at?

As others have mentioned you could try to rejig your sleeping pattern so that you're not losing as much/any sleep. Are there things you normally do after work that you could do before (the gym for instance)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

So did you at all speak with your fm yet about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could always approach your landlord and ask them if they didn't mind fitting something like a triton SR shower. Much quieter than what you have and will only cost you around €500 to fit. Much cheaper than renting on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Kraft.l wrote:
    Millions of people have a shower the night before.

Millions of dirty freaks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 unclealbert

Jesus you think thats bad,wait till you have kids.I consider that a lie in.

Advertisement