Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options

Comments

To be fair he is getting up at a normal time and you are getting up late. No one sharing a house could be asked to be quiet for someone only getting up at 8am. That is lie in territory.

I'd be consider 6:30 am very early for getting up and I reckon a lot of others would too, most people don't get up that early.. I never get up before 8am for work and it's usually closer to 9am I'd consider earlier than 8am an early start and wouldn't want to be doing it regularly, even getting up at the time I always shower the night before as it's gives me a few extra mins in bed.

I had a similar issue with a housemate I lived with but it wasn't the shower, he showers the night before always but used to run his blender at 6am every single morning and the kitchen was right under my bed it was infuriating being woken so early every morning more than 2 hours before the time I wanted to wake, the worst thing is he didn't even need to go to work so early as he had flexitime but was choosing to start early a thing I could never understand as a night person. I wouldn't mind but I went to bed far later (usually 1am or so) and he went to bed early and I went out of my way to be quiet when I was up.

Anyway I tried ear plugs which helped but I found them uncomfortable and I didn't nip it in the bud so never brought it up in the hope he might move out which he did thank god and we got in a house mate operating on more normal hours instead. Thankfully most of my housmates over the years got up after 8am and the majority showed the night before but when you live with a noisy earlier riser it's torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

If be consider 6:30 am very early for getting up and I reckon a lot of others would too, most people don't get up that early.. I never get up before 8am for work and it's usually closer to 9am I'd consider earlier than 8am an early start and wouldn't want to be doing it regularly, even getting up at the time I always shower the night before as it's gives me a few extra mins in bed.

I had a similar issue with a housemate I lived with but it wasn't the show l, he showers the night before always but used to run his blender at 6am every single morning and the kitchen was right under my bed it was infuriating being woken so early every morning more than 2 hours before the time I wanted to wake, the worst thing is he didn't even need to go to work so early as he had flexitime but was choosing to start early a thing I could never understand as a night person. I wouldn't mind but I went to bed far later (usually 1am or so) and he went to bed early and I went out of my way to be quiet when I was up.

Anyway I tried ear plugs which helped but I found them uncomfortable and I didn't nip it in the bud so never brought it up in the hope he might move out which he did thank god and we got in a house mate operating on more normal hours instead. Thankfully most of my housmates over the years got up after 8am and the majority showed the night before but when you live with a noisy earlier riser it's torture.

Leo wont like you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭dubrov

RustyNut wrote: »
    Leo wont like you

Well done to you.
    You have somehow managed to work politics into a thread with absolutely nothing to do with it.

On to the next thread I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Kraft, out of curiosity what time do you normally go to bed at?

As others have mentioned you could try to rejig your sleeping pattern so that you're not losing as much/any sleep. Are there things you normally do after work that you could do before (the gym for instance)?
    Sorry I was sleeping, 8 am

• Advertisement

To be fair he is getting up at a normal time and you are getting up late. No one sharing a house could be asked to be quiet for someone only getting up at 8am. That is lie in territory.

If be consider 6:30 am very early for getting up and I reckon a lot of others would too, most people don't get up that early.. I never get up before 8am for work and it's usually closer to 9am I'd consider earlier than 8am an early start and wouldn't want to be doing it regularly, even getting up at the time I always shower the night before as it's gives me a few extra mins in bed.

I had a similar issue with a housemate I lived with but it wasn't the shower, he showers the night before always but used to run his blender at 6am every single morning and the kitchen was right under my bed it was infuriating being woken so early every morning more than 2 hours before the time I wanted to wake, the worst thing is he didn't even need to go to work so early as he had flexitime but was choosing to start early a thing I could never understand as a night person. I wouldn't mind but I went to bed far later (usually 1am or so) and he went to bed early and I went out of my way to be quiet when I was up.

You seem to be the one of the few speaking sense sounds like you've had a rough time of it as well.

Jesus you think thats bad,wait till you have kids.I consider that a lie in.
    I'm never having kids I value my sleep more.

Kraft, out of curiosity what time do you normally go to bed at?

As others have mentioned you could try to rejig your sleeping pattern so that you're not losing as much/any sleep. Are there things you normally do after work that you could do before (the gym for instance)?
    Yeah, Its looking like I have to do that isn' it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

If you could get one of the new triton showers fitted ,that may help

If you could get one of the new triton showers fitted ,that may help
    Thanks, dontvthink the landlord would fork out for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What hours do you work?

What hours do you work?

9-5.30

Personally I don't see the issue with having a shower at 6:30. Plenty of jobs start at 8 and with breakfast time, commuting time having a shower at 6:30 would seem to be about right.

Seems to be me that when you were looking for someone to take the room that you didn't ask the pertinent questions. Nothing you can do now really unless you make them feel uncomfortable enough that they will move out.

Personally I don't see the issue with having a shower at 6:30. Plenty of jobs start at 8 and with breakfast time, commuting time having a shower at 6:30 would seem to be about right.

Seems to be me that when you were looking for someone to take the room that you didn't ask the pertinent questions. Nothing you can do now really unless you make them feel uncomfortable enough that they will move out.
    I'll probably get a bedsit if I haven't gotten a decent nights sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Get a grip!

6:30 isn't that early, and if your flatmate chooses to shower in the morning he is perfectly entitled to.

You have no right to dictate when he does what, because it doesn't suit you.

Yes you are being petty

Your flatmate is doing nothing wrong. Pays rent, is entitled to have a shower before work. 6:30 is complete reasonable

The only way to resolve this would be to live on your own

When I lived abroad my alarm went off at 5:50 each weekday morning. Had to be in work for 7:10. No way anyone was telling me that I wasn't allowed have a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Kraft.l wrote: »
    I'm never having kids I value my sleep more.

Damn right... what woman would put up with a whinger like you...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

Get a grip!

6:30 isn't that early, and if your flatmate chooses to shower in the morning he is perfectly entitled to.

You have no right to dictate when he does what, because it doesn't suit you.

it is early to the OP

and why is his shower more important then Ops proper night of sleep

FYI, sleep is more important (which most people have lack of) than showers (which nowadays people mostly even overdo...not saying you should skip though)

but it's just strange how everyone is like no he has the right bla bla....what if he showered at 4:30 would it still be the same???

anyway. I am a light sleeper and I know all to well how it feels like to not have proper sleep days on end.
    I wish if all of you would have the same reasoning if someone woke you up an hour to two every day somehow??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

it is early to the OP

FYI, sleep is more important (which most people have lack of) than showers (which nowadays people mostly even overdo...not saying you should skip though)

but it's just strange how everyone is like no he has the right bla bla....what if he showered at 4:30 would it still be the same???

anyway. I am a light sleeper and I know all to well how it feels like to not have proper sleep days on end.
    I wish if all of you would have the same reasoning if someone woke you up an hour to two every day somehow??

Because it is a necessity. He isn't taking the piss. He's having a shower before work.

Either live by yourself or suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's not more important but the OP still has an extra hour and a half in bed, he doesn't have to get up when he's woken so it makes sense that he should be the one to compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

How people can leave the house in the morning after a night in bed without a shower is beyond me. Waft of bed head and BO off them.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    How people can leave the house in the morning after a night in bed without a shower is beyond me. Waft of bed head and BO off them.
    Surely a shower the night before or a shower in work, if the roles were reversed I'd do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Surely a shower the night before or a shower in work, if the roles were reversed I'd do this.

Have you actually discussed this issue with him or are you hoping he's just going to figure it out for himself?

If you have discussed it, what did he say.

Mr.S wrote: »

6:30 is not early and in this case, you are being petty asking him to shower the night before.

6:30 is a normal time to wake up for anyone working a typical 9-5.

Compromise, ask them to be as quiet as possible when getting ready in the morning.

What exactly is waking you up? Banging doors? the pump from the shower? Fix those issues + get ear plugs.
    Yeah if you bothered to read previous posts you'd know that I have earplugs, Its the pump by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The good news is you will get used to it and if you allow it, your mind will soon ignore that particular noise and you will find you will sleep through it.

I get up similar time, wife gets up about 8 - the shower pump is next to bedroom and she sleeps through it most days.

Ear plugs can help, but most of all you just need to train your mind into being used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kraft.l wrote:
    Surely he could use the shower in work, and show consideration for me who pays rent to live there and is entitled to my sleep.

Have you actually talked to your flatmate about it? Perhaps he'd be willing to take showers the night before or at work.

I don't understand why talking to him isn't the first pretty of call instead of brooding over it and moaning online..

Does he even know it is affecting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Through the door ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I shower at 6.30. I'm leaving house at 7.30 to get in for 8.30.

Could never shower night before...I'm a girl and my hair would be a mess next day. And as for work should I bring an entire beauty regime with me?

I live on my own.
    Just get used to it. I have a street light right outside my window. Doesn't bother me at all

Advertisement