Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    How people can leave the house in the morning after a night in bed without a shower is beyond me. Waft of bed head and BO off them.

Slide down the drainpipe, or rappel down the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

This is whinging of the highest order. If you're ever part of a cohabiting couple will you ask your partner who gets up earlier than 8 to shower the night before and sleep in their clothes so they can slink out the door and not wake you?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kraft.l wrote: »
    If I pay rent I think Im entitled to a decent nights sleep, dont you
    If he pays rent, he's entitled to have a shower in the morning, don't you think?
    Well I'll guess we'll have to go our separate ways then.
    Yeah. You don't like it, you move out. Or you goto bed earlier. Or you get earbuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

If getting used to the sound/getting up earlier/using earplugs is not possible, it's probably easier and cheaper to pay for a new quieter shower pump and its installation than to look for a place in your own. Also I can't imagine any landlord would want to know about a new pump otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

8.00 am

Leo Varadkar is going to do nothing for you; unlike your flat mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

red ears wrote: »
    If you shower every night and change your bedclothes regularly nobody would manky.
    I would be

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Kraft.l wrote:
    Surely he could use the shower in work, and show consideration for me who pays rent to live there and is entitled to my sleep.

Have you actually talked to your flatmate about it? Perhaps he'd be willing to take showers the night before or at work.

I don't understand why talking to him isn't the first pretty of call instead of brooding over it and moaning online..

Does he even know it is affecting you?
    Yeah, I'm asking for options yours doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Kraft.l wrote:

So when you spoke to the flatmate what did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No you're not. You're venting, in the hope people will agree with you. They aren't, so you're having a go at them instead of raising your non-issue with your housemate.

Like a grownup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dogcatcher

One thought is he is paying rent also so should he not be free to shower when he chooses or swap rooms if his is anyway from shower.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    How people can leave the house in the morning after a night in bed without a shower is beyond me. Waft of bed head and BO off them.

How people can put themselves through the effort of a shower in the morning is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

8.00 am

Get him a cushy number in the Public Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is it an electric shower with the pump in the unit in the shower or a pump located somewhere else? If it's seperate it might be possible to put a rubber mat or foam under it and some sound insulation on the wall next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kraft.l wrote:

The option of basically talking to your flatmate about it to see if he would be willing to compromise or change his routine?

There's no helping you.

You want opinions that agree with you, unfortunately for you most people think you are being petty.
    What would you do if you lived with someone working shifts? Would you change your shower habits to suit their changing shifts?
    If he was playing loud music or just making noise himself you may have a point, he is just having a shower.
    You either get used to it, or pay for a place on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

Get him a cushy number in the Public Service.

Publicjobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

So when you spoke to the flatmate what did they say?

It seems apparent to me that the OP may have been told exactly what's what and where to go by his flat mate.

He has then posted here looking for some validation or affirmation and found little and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mucho_puko14

have you told him? tell him its feckin annoying and having an impact on your whole day... ask him what would he do in your situation... is his room further from the shower? could ye swap? failing all other suggestions, taser him every time he wakes you! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ZeroCool17

I live alone in a 1 bed apartment and m neighbours are parents and 1 child, The father starts work every night i reckon at 3am because between 2am and 2.20am religiously he goes for a shower 5 nights a week. That is his right, He pays for that and there is no way i could knock on his door and ask him to shower before 12am to suit me.

I know it is not the same as living in the same house but we might as well be tbh. My bedroom like yours is right opposite his bathroom. I get up at 8am every moring too as i live close to work and my day starts at 9 and finishes at 6. Believe me i dream of someday living in a 1 off house in the country with silence as my music...

P.S. I could NOT go to work without a shower. I wouldn't feel right or the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I reckon that possibly, the OP is the person who rises at 06:30 and the 08:00 flatmate has used the arguments (and tone) which the OP has demonstrated throughout the thread to suggest the 06:30 riser is being unreasonable.

The OP will now send the 08:00 flatmate a link to this thread with a P.S. of "everyone on the internet thinks you're being a knob" to drive home their position.

If I am correct, well played OP. If I'm wrong (highly likely) I hope you've seen the light at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My OH gets up 2 hours before me twice a week. When we first moved in together, I used to also wake, and the noise of him having breakfast/showering/puttering around would stop me from falling back to sleep.
    That was 6 months ago, these days I barely rouse when his alarm goes off and I sleep through him pottering around the house.
    You will adjust to it if you give yourself a chance.

Also, we live a few doors down from a business that starts receiving stock deliveries at around 4am on a Wednesday morning.
    Imagine the sound of truck reversal alarms, crates banging off each other, heavy loads being dumped on the pavement and delivery drivers having chats at the top of their voices as if it's 12pm in the afternoon.
    It's infuriating and I can't sleep through it (yet) but the shop has been there a lot longer than the house I've been renting has so what can I do. I'd take a flatmate having a 10 minute shower any day over that noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    My OH gets up 2 hours before me twice a week. When we first moved in together, I used to also wake, and the noise of him having breakfast/showering/puttering around would stop me from falling back to sleep.
    That was 6 months ago, these days I barely rouse when his alarm goes off and I sleep through him pottering around the house.
    You will adjust to it if you give yourself a chance.

Also, we live a few doors down from a business that starts receiving stock deliveries at around 4am on a Wednesday morning.
    Imagine the sound of truck reversal alarms, crates banging off each other, heavy loads being dumped on the pavement and delivery drivers having chats at the top of their voices as if it's 12pm in the afternoon.
    It's infuriating and I can't sleep through it (yet) but the shop has been there a lot longer than the house I've been renting has so what can I do. I'd take a flatmate having a 10 minute shower any day over that noise!
    All right I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

It's a power shower, noisy yokes alright, ask the landlord to install a non pumped shower, far quieter & cheaper to run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pterosaur

Buy some noise cancelling earphones. 630am? Thats a lie in for many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

This post has been deleted.

Ding ding ding - the heart of the matter right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

How people can put themselves through the effort of a shower in the morning is beyond me.

Not much effort at all. Especially when it prevents people talking about the waft coming off you in work behind your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hey just a quick question here, flatmate started a job and he's waking me up at 6.30 am average every morning, I don't need to get up at that time, have trouble getting back to sleep, exhausted and can't focus all day, surely he could have a shower the night before and still be fresh, because I would do that to show consideration if our position was reversed , any thoughts?

looks like you've outgrown the flat share life..

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

We get on well, going to bed earlier is not so bad.

You mention your not getting enough sleep. What time were you going to bed at normally.? Now, what time is early.?

How long has this issue going on?

If you get on well, talk to your flatmate.

I'm up at 5:10am, have a shower and go leave for work by 6am. Granted, it's not a shared accommodation. But is a family home and its a pumped shower. So the noise could wake others in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Don't want to do ear plugs ?

If you are the key tenant ask him to leave and next time find someone who works the same hours as you and explain that showering before x and y is a deal breaker

If you are not consider key tenant get a 2 bed gaff and be the key tenant

Or get your own place

sleep is sssential

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭enterprise2017

Hey just a quick question here, flatmate started a job and he's waking me up at 6.30 am average every morning, I don't need to get up at that time, have trouble getting back to sleep, exhausted and can't focus all day, surely he could have a shower the night before and still be fresh, because I would do that to show consideration if our position was reversed , any thoughts?

1. Really? grow some balls

2. Just go out and tell him to keep it down

3. play loud music the night before

4. buy ear plugs

5. come on to him and make him always late for work?

6. Kill Him??

Advertisement