Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From reading this thread and looking at the Thanks. The OP comes across as one of these people who looks for advice and only accepts the advice that says he/she is right.
    In all honestly I don't think he's getting up to early. If he's going around the house/apartment slamming doors it would be a different story.
    You can talk about the matter with him and he might agree to have his shower the night before but he mightn't feel fresh/comfortable going into work that way.
    Would you consider talking to your GP about your sleeping issue?
    I'd try a good pair of ear plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Noise before 7am is well out of order.
    Ask him to have a shower the night before. If he does not, then you have a shower about 0:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

This is a bullsh1t thread OP needs to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pterosaur

Ask him to have a shower the night before. If he does not, then you have a shower about 0:30.

This is ridiculous. Having a shower anytime after 5 seems perfectly reasonable to me; granted this is apparently a loud shower. So long as they are making an effort to be quiet otherwise. Buy some good earphones, listen to static noise and don't be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

lensman wrote: »
    It's a power shower, noisy yokes alright, ask the landlord to install a non pumped shower, far quieter & cheaper to run too.

maybe the water pressure isn't good enough for that, and why would the time a tenant has a shower be the problem of the landlord?!!

• Advertisement

7am, what a sheltered life you must have had

Where did you pluck the number from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

6.30 is not early at all, most people are up about that time or shortly after. Sometimes I'm up at 6am, sometimes not up till 8am but my housemate is always up at 6am for a shower, but that's just life and totally within normal working hours as far as I'm concerned.

He showers every morning and so do I. For a lot of people it's the only option, the night before isn't a runner.

The OP also says they work 9 to 5 so why can't they go to sleep a bit earlier? Says they're exhausted and can't focus all day? What time are they going to bed?

Comes across as an immature, entitled twit to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Op just make a habit of having a shower 4.30am and see how your flat mate reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can you ask him to have breakfast first? So that it wakes you up ya bit later?

Really though, 6:30 is standard. I'd be getting up every morning thinking that lazy ****er is lucky as hell he doesn't have to get up til 8.

I'd laugh if someone demanded I shower at night, politely decline if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Where do you people work?

Lots of people start work at 8 FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I get up at 3am so I always shower the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    My OH gets up 2 hours before me twice a week. When we first moved in together, I used to also wake, and the noise of him having breakfast/showering/puttering around would stop me from falling back to sleep.
    That was 6 months ago, these days I barely rouse when his alarm goes off and I sleep through him pottering around the house.
    You will adjust to it if you give yourself a chance.

Also, we live a few doors down from a business that starts receiving stock deliveries at around 4am on a Wednesday morning.
    Imagine the sound of truck reversal alarms, crates banging off each other, heavy loads being dumped on the pavement and delivery drivers having chats at the top of their voices as if it's 12pm in the afternoon.
    It's infuriating and I can't sleep through it (yet) but the shop has been there a lot longer than the house I've been renting has so what can I do. I'd take a flatmate having a 10 minute shower any day over that noise!

In law, if not in practice, you have the same rights, even if only a week in your property, as someone who has been there for 45 years.
    Don't know what help it will be to you in your situation.
    I just thought you should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

noodler wrote: »
    Can you ask him to have breakfast first? So that it wakes you up ya bit later?

Really though, 6:30 is standard. I'd be getting up every morning thinking that lazy ****er is lucky as hell he doesn't have to get up til 8.

I'd laugh if someone demanded I shower at night, politely decline if asked.
    Maybe if he got up when his flatmate is having the shower and turn on a few taps and scald the fcuker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Not much effort at all. Especially when it prevents people talking about the waft coming off you in work behind your back.

Ah shhhtop, I'm surrounded by non-smelly people who only shower alternate days.

On topic, 06:30 is not very early for a lot of people. If the commute is long, you exercise before work or work starts at 08:00, it's a normal time to rise. Lots of people like a morning shower because it invigorates them for the day ahead. You can't expect someone to give that up. I think morning activites should be restricted to essentials. Someone mentioned a housemate using a blender - that's unacceptable obviously. But morning ablutions are a normal, acceptable activity.

My OH gets up an hour before me. The shower used drive me potty too until I stared putting the radio on low. It cuts out after an hour. Now OH flicks radio on as he's getting out of bed and I sleep on - until the radio turns off! Might be worth a try. It's a clock radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Truckermal wrote: »
    I get up at 3am so I always shower the night before!

3am is the night before. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

3am is the night before. :P

I know really need to get a job with normal hours!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I use foam earplugs as there's a main road right outside my window and the noise comes through the vent. Once the earplugs go in, I can't hear a thing, I'd be lost without them. Find a pair that suits you and make sure you're using them properly.

I'm a very light sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

xzanti wrote:
    I use foam earplugs as there's a main road right outside my window and the noise comes through the vent. Once the earplugs go in, I can't hear a thing, I'd be lost without them. Find a pair that suits you and make sure you're using them properly.

Feckin hate them things, God sent at times though

noodler wrote: »
    Where do you people work?

Lots of people start work at 8 FFS.

Most people don't start work until 9am or often later with flexitime being more common.

I would strongly disagree that most people get up at 6:30am. 7:30 onwards would be far more normal and plenty don't get up until after 8am.

In a houseshare I think anything before about 7:30am should be treated like those who go to bed early would expect someone who stays up till 1am or 2am to behave. Noise should be kept to an absolute minimum and noisey things like showers should be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Most people don't start work until 9am or often later with flexitime being more common.

I would strongly disagree that most people get up at 6:30am. 7:30 onwards would be far more normal and plenty don't get up until after 8am.

I think anything before about 7:30am should be treated like those who go to bed early would expect someone who stays up till 1am or 2am to behave. Noise should be kept to an absolute minimum and noises things like showers should be avoided.

How many working people get up after 8? Very few I'd say. (except shift workers)

snowflaker wrote: »
    How many working people get up after 8? Very few I'd say. (except shift workers)

What makes you think very few, I would say there are a large amount of working people don't get up until 8 or after.

I've lived in a few houseshare a with many people working in many different areas and the majority would get up around 8 or after. There are 400 people working where I do and the vast majority get into work anytime between 9 and 10 so you can be sure most aren't getting up until at least 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I lived with my sister and her boyfriend for six months years ago. They drove me demented. I used to get up at half six to have a shower before work (in my en suite) and they were really pissed off about it, my sister works part time so she didn't get up until 12pm on her days off and so she expected me to shower the night before. I also only work part time by the way but I have a reason, I have a health problem so it was only three days a week I was getting up that early to shower. Her boyfriend works full time but didn't have to get up until 8 so he was resentful too. So basically I wasn't allowed to make any noise from about 11pm at night to 12pm the next day, even being on the phone to my now wife at those times would cause hassle. Needless to say I moved out after six months, couldn't be dealing with them. That wasn't the only issue too, apparently I cooked too much (once a day I made dinner) and they refused to pay for bins, nightmare, they still insist to this day that I was unreasonable, some people can't be reasoned with.

Get earplugs OP, you're being unreasonable. If you have a problem then you change something, don't expect someone else to alter their lifestyle for you, especially not a housemate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

What makes you think very few, I would say there are a large amount of working people who don't get up until after 8.

the logistics of it, you would have to live quite close to work. Those who come in later are usually dropping their kids to school so they are all up before 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

To be fair to the OP, Leo did say 7am, and not 6.30am.

Still, if someone having a shower, regardless of the time, is this much of a problem for you, then the problem is you. Move elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

snowflaker wrote: »
    the logistics of it, you would have to live quite close to work. Those who come in later are usually dropping their kids to school so they are all up before 8.

Not in my experience. If you are on shift or flexi you can wait till after the traffic is gone a commute that takes 60 mins at peak only takes 30 off peak. If you are getting the train you get a seat. Lots of reasons to start late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

OP; you are ignoring plenty of helpful suggestions made by other people. The good news is that you seem to have taken on board the fact that 630 is a reasonable time for a flatmate to take a shower, and hopefully you will be friendly when you talk to your flatmate.

The root cause is the noise of the pump. Focus on that. You need to talk to your flatmate, and then your landlord.

There may be a quick fix; as someone else suggested, how about swapping bedrooms. Maybe the pump is in the hot press directly next to your bed and if you swap rooms maybe the pump won't be as loud from your new bedroom.

Hopefully that makes some kind of improvement, but you still need to talk to the landlord. The current pump can be made quieter by either mounting it on rubber/foam; total cost including labour probably less than €150. Any landlord would do that to keep good tenants, but they won't do it if you don't notify them (by email/letter), and remind them.

Ultimately replacing the pump with a quieter model would be costly and may not work; the cause of the sound might be vibration. Try those options above and let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Many office workers are on flexitime.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ella108

IS your room near the shower? Is it possible to switch to different room. This is hard. I get it. I need my sleep. Even 8 am would be too early for me because somedays I would like to sleep till 9 ( I am not lazy and I am not writing details, what shift I work etc ) IF I don't get good night sleep I feel my whole day wasted tired and loose focus. Loosing 1.5 hours sleep every single day adds up in morning for you, by end of week about 6-7 hours you have lost.

People asking you to sleep early etc are being bit unreasonable, altering your sleep schedule is not easy. Is it noisy at night? Is your roommate generally quiet? Is there another shower[bath in house he could use that wont make that much noise ? Also, sometimes in bath there is alternative you can consider, I figured in our bathroom the shower is very annoyingly noisy but there is another faucet that does not make that much noise.

About Earplugs, I am struggling to find a good one too. I heard about some noise cancelling devices maybe something to consider? Although to wear at night sleep could be uncomfortable. Definitely ask and talk to flatmate, bring it up and who knows will agree to change shower time!Also, do you have sleep issues? Slight noises wake up? Excercise during day might help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ella108 wrote: »
    IS your room near the shower? Is it possible to switch to different room. ...

Noise of those showers goes through most houses to every room.

Advertisement