Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

8am is a sleep in during the week. It's your problem not your flatmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

lawred2 wrote: »
    8am is a sleep in during the week. It's your problem not your flatmates.
    For you maybe, not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

TheChizler wrote: »
    For you maybe, not for everyone.

But isn't this the key overall, not just what suits you?

Nobody in a house share has the right to gripe about reasonable time schedules.

Just adapt, get your own place or specifically look to live with people on the same schedule.

I get up earlier than my wife most days but she gets up early on my day off. If either of us wake, we deal with it. If the sleep becomes a real issue, go to bed earlier. You live with people with unavoidable schedules, you adapt or deal with it, not whinge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Just move out and get your own place if it bothers you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

snowflaker wrote: »
    How many working people get up after 8? Very few I'd say. (except shift workers)

Absolutely.

Even those availing of flexitime are often doing so for children related reasons such as breakfasts, school runs etc and this requires getting up earlier than 8 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Exactly. You can't say any of these times are early or late universally. Everyone's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You're not using the right ear plugs if you can still hear him showering. I wear ear plugs every night and I wouldn't hear it if a plane landed outside the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

anna080 wrote: »
    You're not using the right ear plugs if you can still hear him showering. I wear ear plugs every night and I wouldn't hear it if a plane landed outside the window.

How do you wake up? Naturally? I need my alarm clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

snowflaker wrote: »
    How do you wake up? Naturally? I need my alarm clock!

Vibrating alarm clock usually but i tend to wake naturally at 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

6.5 hours sleep is more than enough for most people. Are up all night playing x box OP? Perhaps waking and getting up early would be a healthier approach for you instead of playing computer games at this stage of your life.

Early To Bed, Early To Rise, Makes A Man Healthy, Wealthy And Wise.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Maybe you could do an Oscar Pistorius on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I can't hear you, I'm wearing a towel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 The Red m

If it's not the shower it'll be something else. 6.30 in the morning is not an unreasonable time to be up to get ready for work at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

06:30 is in no way an unreasonable time to be up and about. Granted, I wouldn't go making unnecessary noise at that hour of the morning out of consideration to other housemates, but washing yourself before work would definitely come in under the category of a necessity, and I wouldn't feel bad about the noise, in your flatmate's position. After all (unless they're an owner-occupier, and they're not, by the sounds of it) it's not their fault or problem that the pump is so loud.

If you give it a few weeks and can't get used to ignoring it and/or going back to sleep, why not rearrange your own routine so that you go to bed 1.5 hours earlier the night before. Then, use the extra "awake" time in the mornings to do something you would ordinarily have done in the evenings. E.g. if you usually go for a run in the evenings, or watch some Netflix, or read, or whatever, do that in the morning instead. Or maybe use the time in the morning to prepare that evening's dinner, buy yourself some extra time that way. So you'll still get the same number of hours of sleep, and shouldn't be tired in work.

It might sound extreme to rearrange your routine/lifestyle around a new earlier-than-usual start, but the fact is that it's your problem - not his. So if one of you has to make changes, it should be you. Asking him to shower the night before, or at work, are totally unreasonable suggestions.

In my opinion your options are to (a) get used to it (as others have suggested, earplugs etc might help); (b) start getting up at the same time and using the time wisely and then going to bed earlier; (c) move out.

That's if you actually want to resolve the problem, rather than just whinge about it. Because you are being completely unrealistic and unreasonable here.

I find it funny people are suggesting the op change his schedule rather than then his housemate. Why should he have to go to bed earlier? I'm a night person and my favourite hours are between 9pm and about 1am, I wouldn't go to bed early for anything as I simply wouldn't sleep and sleep far better betten say 1am and 8:30 am than if I tried to go to bed earlier. The op may be similar.

I get up in the morning at the last possible second and am out the door in 5 to 10 mins after getting up I have nor never will have an interest in "doing stuff" in the morning.

This macho nonsense of "8am is a lie in" is exceptionally annoying too, 8 or 9am are perfectly normal times for working people to get up too and these people are as entitled to peaceful sleep as the person who goes to bed at 11pm and would expect people to be quiet who are still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I find it funny people are suggesting the op change his schedule rather than then his housemate. Why should he have to go to bed earlier? I'm a night person and my favourite hours are between 9pm and about 1am, I wouldn't go to bed early for anything as I simply wouldn't sleep and sleep far better betten say 1am and 8:30 am than if I tried to go to bed earlier. The op may be similar.

I get up in the morning at the last possible second and am out the door in 5 to 10 mins after getting up I have nor never will have an interest in "doing stuff" in the morning.

This macho nonsense of "8am is a lie in" is exceptionally annoying too, 8 or 9am are perfectly normal times for working people to get up too and these people are as entitled to peaceful sleep as the person who goes to bed at 11pm and would expect people to be quiet who are still up.

8am is a lie in for most people over 25 to suggest otherwise is churlish

Sounds like only one of the has a choice, the other lad has to be up for work, the op chooses to stay up late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

Nobody in a house share has the right to gripe about reasonable time schedules.

This is it. What others do is of no relevance. The OP's housemate gets up at 06:30 and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have you ever rented? Shared?

Your posts sound naive in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Kraft.l wrote: »
    Hey just a quick question here, flatmate started a job and he's waking me up at 6.30 am average every morning,...

Maybe you should switch to a 5.30am start. Since whomever starts first sets the schedule for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Of course 8am is a normal time to get up if you start at 9 and have a short commute.
    I'm sure some posters here think that the housemate is getting up at 6am, thrashing around the house getting ready for 2 hours before leaving the house at 8:30am.
    I'm sure the housemate would much rather sleep in till 8am himself but due to either his commute or his start time he finds himself up and in the shower for 6:30am. It's clearly out of necessity and not choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

OP, you will get used to it. When we first got a power shower in my family home when I was about 16, I was furious because it was against my bedroom wall and one of the others got up at 5:30am. It woke me up constantly and no-one in the house realised just how f*cking loud it was in my room compared to the rest.

But after a while, I stopped hearing it. You get used to it and it becomes background noise, only waking you up if you're already having a bad night's sleep. If you stop being angry about it and accept that it's unavoidable, you will subconciously block it out after a while. Until then, get ear plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

I find it funny people are suggesting the op change his schedule rather than then his housemate.

Why would his housemate change his routine? The OP is the one with the (unreasonable) problem. Doesn't matter if only 10% of the population get up at 06:30, the OP's housemate is one of them. I'm sure he's not getting up at 06:30 for no reason. That's clearly the time he needs to get up at. And he is entitled to wash himself.

To be fair he is getting up at a normal time and you are getting up late. No one sharing a house could be asked to be quiet for someone only getting up at 8am. That is lie in territory.

I'd feel very hard done by if I had to get up at 8am. I usually hit the shower around 8:45 to be at my desk by 9am. One of the few joys of being self employed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I would consider 7 am to be a normal hour to get up . anything before is early and should be a quiet time . obviously he can get washed or anything else of his choosing if it doesn't interfere with any other housemate.
    your housemate doesn't see it that way so probably wont adjust their routine. you have 2 choices. pay to get a cheaper shower or leave.

you could get washed at 12 pm and see how he like it. it might point out what you are dealing with and he might be a bit more considerate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I would consider 7 am to be a normal hour to get up . anything before is early and should be a quiet time . obviously he can get washed or anything else of his choosing if it doesn't interfere with any other housemate.
    your housemate doesn't see it that way so probably wont adjust their routine. you have 2 choices. pay to get a cheaper shower or leave.

you could get washed at 12 pm and see how he like it. it might point out what you are dealing with and he might be a bit more considerate

What would you do if you started work at 7am?

noodler wrote: »
    Have you ever rented? Shared?

Your posts sound naive in the extreme.

Yes, I lived in a number of houseshares with a lot of different people. As I said in my earlier post I had one housemate in all that time that used to get up early (by choice he had flexitime) and used a blender at 6 or 6:30 am every morning waking me up 2 or 3 hours before I would normally wake up for work.

Other than him all the other housemates I've lived with (most late 20's or early 30's and in fairly good jobs) got up at 8am or later for work like myself I get up after 9 even sometimes.

I also went to bed late compared to housemates and I always made sure to keep noise down so as not to wake others which made it even more annoying when that housemate woke me every morning while I always made sure to be quiet when he was asleep at 1am.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    What would you do if you started work at 7am?

I'm self employed so it is a decision if I want to start at that time or not.

either way I would get up , make as little noise as possible then leave for work.

the only things that would make noise are the alarm of the toilet or van starting.

Yes, I lived in a number of houseshares with a lot of different people. As I said in my earlier post I had one housemate in all that time that used to get up early (by choice he had flexitime) and used a blender at 6 or 6:30 am every morning waking me up 2 or 3 hours before I would normally wake up for work.

Other than him all the other housemates I've lived with (most late 20's or early 30's and in fairly good jobs) got up at 8am or later for work like myself I get up after 9 even sometimes.

I also went to bed late compared to housemates and I always made sure to keep noise down so as not to wake others which made it even more annoying when that housemate woke me every morning while I always made sure to be quiet when he was asleep at 1am.

only an asshole would use a blender at that time of the morning. at least a shower is some way needed. I think his blender would either break down of disappear if he did that to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sorry OP but that's a pretty normal time to get up for a lot of people.

Its not his fault that the walls are paper thin.

You can ask him to shower the night before but if he says no then tough luck.

Either put up with it or rent your own place.

I get up at 6am for work and have a shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Have you mentioned it to him at all? Perhaps he doesn't realise it's a problem and he might offer to shower the night before or to eat and get ready first which might delay the shower running til 7.
    If you mention it nicely he might be up for compromise. Be prepared though for any counter complaint about noise you are making at night that you didn't think was annoying.

Advertisement