Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

anna080 wrote: »
    You're not using the right ear plugs if you can still hear him showering. I wear ear plugs every night and I wouldn't hear it if a plane landed outside the window.
    What kind of earplugs do you use.

I would consider 7 am to be a normal hour to get up . anything before is early and should be a quiet time . obviously he can get washed or anything else of his choosing if it doesn't interfere with any other housemate.
    your housemate doesn't see it that way so probably wont adjust their routine. you have 2 choices. pay to get a cheaper shower or leave.

you could get washed at 12 pm and see how he like it. it might point out what you are dealing with and he might be a bit more considerate
    7 is ok,

xzanti wrote: »
    I use foam earplugs as there's a main road right outside my window and the noise comes through the vent. Once the earplugs go in, I can't hear a thing, I'd be lost without them. Find a pair that suits you and make sure you're using them properly.

I'm a very light sleeper.
    Yar I'm using foam earplugs I'm deffo gonna have a look on amazon at those noise cancelling headphones and combine it with the foam foam earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Kraft.l wrote: »
    What kind of earplugs do you use.

My boyfriend works in aviation so he gets me ones at work but Amazon sell really good ones.
    I find it best to fall asleep naturally, have the ear plugs under my pillow and then put them in if I wake during the night. Seagulls and bin men wake me up and I can never get back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I agree with others that feel its not reasonable to expect your flatmate to change his morning routine. 6:30 is not early.

Most of us getting on the road to drive across the M50 and the likes will be up at that hour to get showered or breakfast or both and get going.

Having said that, a genuine suggestion I would make if the noise is the issue is have you ever listened to some of them nature sounds?

seriously some great apps with all sorts of sounds from listening to a campfire to sounds of whales crying in the ocean.

When i was in college library trying the study, there would always be constant chatter and others listing to loud music.

Id bang on the sounds of crickets by a campfire and just plow on with my studies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You seem to be the one of the few speaking sense sounds like you've had a rough time of it as well.

Only those who agree with you make sense? This is really mature OP.
    Thanks, dontvthink the landlord would fork out for that.

Is your housemate keeping the landlord awake? Why would the landlord fork out for it? Buy it yourself maybe?
    Surely a shower the night before or a shower in work, if the roles were reversed I'd do this.

"surely", anytime this is used, the opposite is correctly. You wouldn't shower in work to satisfy your housemate, stop making things up. It's a very unreasonable request.
    Get him a cushy number in the Public Service.

Early starts in the PS too you know.
    I find it funny people are suggesting the op change his schedule rather than then his housemate. Why should he have to go to bed earlier?

OP is the one with the issue, OP needs to adjust, not his housemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JAHnathan

I do sympathise OP, having been in that situation before. But unfortunately that just goes with the territory when living with housemates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Hope the OP wasn't disturbed too much this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My Husband gets up at 6am Weekdays and showers in the Ensuite. He needs to be gone by 6.45am. Totally normal. He would hate it if he was asked to shower at night.
    Imo 6am onwards is normal getting up time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I thought about this thread when I got up this morning. I badly needed a shower and wouldn't have stepped outside the front door without one. It's really warm at night this weather, and having a shower before bed would be an exercise in futility. As I type, I still smell nice and fresh from the shower gel. I'd be smelling a bit funky if I'd just got up and pulled on my clothes.

• Advertisement

I thought about the tread too when I got up at 8:40, dressed straight away and out the door to work. I feel just fine as always without showering in the morning.

I wouldn't see it as being an issue at all for the ops housemate to shower the night before.

If the thread was about a person complaining that their housemate was showering at 1am and waking them I wonder what people's opinion would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I do sympathize, but agree with others that it is the unfortunate fact of houseshares that something will likely be a pain for you and you just have to put up with it.

I was living in a house until recently with 2 postgrad students (lads), a professional (guy) and another fella who we never actually saw so I dunno what he did. I was the only girl. House was disgusting, absolutely disgusting (I took what I could get when I was required to move out of previous house). The lad in the room adjacent to mine always let his door slam. Always. Fire doors, so it really slammed. They also slammed the front door. And I guarantee, they didn't even realise they did it. I've met plenty of people over the years like that, they just don't realise how loud they are, and I'm very, very sensitive to loud noises. I got ear plugs and got used to it, until I fortunately found a better situation.

I would have had a case with the above, to ask for at least a little more quietness, at least late at night. But even then, odds were it wouldn't change. In the case of someone just having a shower in the morning, you haven't a hope of a case there really.

Though to me, 6:30 is early. I don't get up until 7:20 for a job at 9:00.

Maybe you just don't sweat much at night. Lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

6.30 is by no means an unusually early time to get up and be on time for a 9am job if you are talking about a Dublin commute and traffic uncertainty, for instance.

If you are 'exhausted' by a 6.30am disturbance then I'd suggest you head off to bed 30 mins or an hour earlier, your flatmate's morning activity is far from unreasonable.

And like the others, i tried the showering the night before plan myself, I felt neither fresh or awake leaving for work in the AM, so I stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

i rise at 6 and hit shower straight away, in work for 8 though and own my own house.

i would have thought most people would rise around 6.30 even if start at 9, especially living in dublin as commute is horrendous after certain time.

OP, sounds like you should get a one bed..

One thing I have to say after reading this thread - I'm glad I don't have a major commute. I would not want to get up earlier than 7:20. Some days I don't get up until 7:45, tear through shower, clothes, hair drying and then out the door for the bus.

I'm also glad I never rented somewhere with paper-thin walls. I shared with someone who used to rise at 7 and take a shower. The only time I ever heard them was when I was awake anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

The OP would hate me ... up every morning at 5.15am! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Think of it as a life lesson for what it's like to have kids!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

For those getting up at 6am, what sort of time do you go to bed? It must be about 9pm??

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

For those getting up at 6am, what sort of time do you go to bed? It must be about 9pm??

11 bell for me. 7 hours sleep, brand new shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I go to bed around 12:30 each night and my alarm goes of at 6:15.to be out of bed by 6.30am .

rafatoni wrote: »
    i rise at 6 and hit shower straight away, in work for 8 though and own my own house.

i would have thought most people would rise around 6.30 even if start at 9, especially living in dublin as commute is horrendous after certain time.

OP, sounds like you should get a one bed..

Surely a lot of people have flexitime at this stage though, I know loads of people who have it in various different companies? Having a strict 9am start time would be an absolute killer for me as it means you have to go out in the worst of the traffic and just having a strict start time in itself would be a pain for the Monday you feel like an extra 20 mins in bed etc. We can basically get to work when we want though the majority get in between 9am and 10am, you won't see me out of bed before 8am any morning and usually later.

To be honest the odd time I've something work related at 9am its usually a conf call and I take it from home and go to the office after rather than have to get up early to be in the office at 9 sharp or before it.
    trigger26 wrote: »
    Think of it as a life lesson for what it's like to have kids!

Kids can be put into suitable routine too. I have work colleague who doesn't do early mornings either like myself so they don't put their toddler to bed until 12 or 1am. The child is usually still asleep when he gets up for work around 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lazer002

6.30 is very early to get up, I have always worked 9 to 5 and the earliest I get up is about 7.30 and I have a 40 minute commute (longer in traffic) - I know very few that get up at 6.30 - in fact some Monday mornings I have a near 2 hour commute and get up at about 6.50 and shower, eat and leave the house all in 10 mins.
    OP - talk to your flatmate, see if he can shower slightly later, and you to bed slightly earlier, both of you compromise.

If the flatmate is getting up for work and has to be in 8am or whatever then its just one of those things, however, if he gets up showers, eats breakfast, watches TV etc, and leaves an hour later - then maybe he could leave the shower to closer to when he leaves?

I have flexi which is useful when you're relying on Bus Eireann to bring you to work - you never know when you're gonna get there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Surely a lot of people have flexitime at this stage though, I know loads of people who have it in various different companies?

Workers who have flexi-time are in the overwhelming minority. I used to have flexi-time but if anything, it meant I was actually in work earlier.

So not only are flexi-time workers in the minority to begin with, I would say a significant amount of flexi-time workers prefer to be in work early to boot.
    If the flatmate is getting up for work and has to be in 8am or whatever then its just one of those things, however, if he gets up showers, eats breakfast, watches TV etc, and leaves an hour later - then maybe he could leave the shower to closer to when he leaves?

This is the only reasonable thing to do. I personally shower some mornings at 6.15 or so but I'm out the door at 6.40.

Bed around 10.30, asleep by 11.30 to be up at 6.10.

• Advertisement

I thought about the tread too when I got up at 8:40, dressed straight away and out the door to work. I feel just fine as always without showering in the morning.

I wouldn't see it as being an issue at all for the ops housemate to shower the night before.

If the thread was about a person complaining that their housemate was showering at 1am and waking them I wonder what people's opinion would be?

i wonder if your workmates feel just as fine as you about you not showering in the morning?? do you even brush your teeth or comb your hair??
    and when exactly do you shower, you don't late at night, so you don't disturb people and you don't in the morning because your too late getting up!!

Advertisement