Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmate waking me up, am I being petty?

Options

Comments

Workers who have flexi-time are in the overwhelming minority. I used to have flexi-time but if anything, it meant I was actually in work earlier.

So not only are flexi-time workers in the minority to begin with, I would say a significant amount of flexi-time workers prefer to be in work early to boot.

I'm not so sure I agree with that, flexitime or no strict start/finish times is fairly common in my circle of friends particularity those in highly skilled roles where emphasis is more on getting the work done than what hours you choose to do it in. I can't see many choosing to come in early either rather than sleep more and avoid the traffic, I know if you get into my office before 9am you will be turning on the lights, sometimes you could be turning them on at 9.30am.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    i wonder if your workmates feel just as fine as you about you not showering in the morning?? do you even brush your teeth or comb your hair??
    and when exactly do you shower, you don't late at night, so you don't disturb people and you don't in the morning because your too late getting up!!

They have no issue with it, in fact I know its quite common for others to do it also. Of course I gel my hair and wash my teeth. As for when I shower, every second evening usually.

Having houseshares quite a few people more than half of the random selection of people I lived with were evening showers rather then morning, especially ones who tended to get up a little on the earlier side. I think in a housesharing situation there has to be give and take like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

It's fairly irrelevant really, its not uncommon either I know people working in multinationals, public jobs and small companies all with similar flexibility towards start/finish times.

Fixed hours, clocking in and all that lark is archaic and should be done away with in many jobs where it is totally unnecessary it would do more to reducing peak traffic too than anything else. Obviously not all jobs can have this flexibility but far more could than currently do. When looking for a job being able to work from home at least some of the time and flexible hours are high on my priority list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I do and I do! Makes a long commute easier to get home earlier in the evening.

Worth the 6.10 wake up!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Showering the night before isn't a option especially not in this weather. Also many people sweat like crazy in their sleep. (including myself) meaning Shower is essential in the morning.

Also I live at the point Village where there is LOUD construction on every side of the Building starting 7am every day but Sunday. I don't get up until 8:15. Should I tell the construction workers to work the night before?

As for when I shower, every second evening usually.

I'm sorry but for a grown man, that really is not acceptable !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 The Red m

Actually anyone that sweats it's best that anti perspirant is applied at night before bed. Obviously you're going to shower before applying it, so sometimes a shower at nighttime is the best thing.

I shower at night and in this weather some mornings I'm in the shower again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bubblypop wrote:
    I'm sorry but for a grown man, that really is not acceptable !!!

Why? Is there a rule that it should be exactly in 24 hours what if you shower this morning but will next shower tomorrow evening. That's a daily shower - does that work for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Different thing are accepted/expected in work places regarding grooming and personal hygiene!

Oh yeah if I had my choice Id do 7-3 and miss all the traffic.

Yup, I'd do even earlier if I could. I get up at 5am most mornings, even if I don't have to leave until 6:30 or even later. Favourite time of the day, peace and quiet and nobody annoying me :)

Getting to work from 9:15am onwards and leaving at 6pm or after means I miss most of the traffic too without the torture of early starts.

Some people are night people and others are morning people unfortunately as is evidenced in this threat the morning people think they are more important and their routine must be the one respected. Its no wonder housesharing is such a chore as give and take is hard to come by.

At the end of the day there isn't much the op can do aside from put up with it, move out or hope the housemate moves out (having a word with him is unlikely to work). I made it my business to avoid the housemate who used to wake me up if at all possible as even seeing him annoyed me, I'm not sure if this contributed to his moving out or not but possibly it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Getting to work from 9:15am onwards and leaving at 6pm or after means I miss most of the traffic too without the torture of early starts.

Some people are night people and others are morning people unfortunately as is evidenced in this threat the morning people think they are more important and their routine must be the one respected. Its no wonder housesharing is such a chore as give and take is hard to come by.

At the end of the day there isn't much the op can do aside from put up with it, move out or hope the housemate moves out (having a word with him is unlikely to work). I made it my business to avoid the housemate who used to wake me up if at all possible as even seeing him annoyed me, I'm not sure if this contributed to his moving out or not but possibly it did.

That's not really flex you are just working 9-6 and just live close to work and aren't that strict on personal hygiene

As for your mate that keeps their child up until 1 so that they can sleep that deserves a whole other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'd love to work 7-3 or 7.30-3.30. I wouldn't mind the early start, and I don't have a partner or kids to factor into the equation. It would be great to get home at 4pm or even earlier with a full days work done, and not that much of an earlier start to boot. However I appreciate that it wouldn't work for everyone.

Anybody hiring someone for those hours? Decent wage? :D:D

Why? Is there a rule that it should be exactly in 24 hours what if you shower this morning but will next shower tomorrow evening. That's a daily shower - does that work for you?

no, no rules but once every two days is not acceptable to most people I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You are trying very hard.

But they aren't the same thing.

Cyrus wrote: »
    That's not really flex you are just working 9-6 and just live close to work and aren't that strict on personal hygiene

As for your mate that keeps their child up until 1 so that they can sleep that deserves a whole other thread

Well it is really flex, I said once I'm arriving in after 9:15 I've missed the traffic. I can be at 10 if I want and if things are quiet go home at 3pm. On the other hand if I'm busy I might have to work till 8 or 9pm. 20 min drive to work with no traffic, longer with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

I'm not so sure I agree with that, flexitime or no strict start/finish times is fairly common in my circle of friends particularity those in highly skilled roles where emphasis is more on getting the work done than what hours you choose to do it in. I can't see many choosing to come in early either rather than sleep more and avoid the traffic, I know if you get into my office before 9am you will be turning on the lights, sometimes you could be turning them on at 9.30am.

I'd say no more than 50% of people have flexitime jobs. I'm in my 30s and have never had one.

From my experience most people use flexitime to come in earlier rather than later. From a traffic point of view, that makes sense too. There will be less traffic at 07:00 or 07:30 than from 09:00 onwards. It makes no sense to go in later to try and beat the traffic. Once the world is fully awake, traffic is never that light in cities.
    Kids can be put into suitable routine too. I have work colleague who doesn't do early mornings either like myself so they don't put their toddler to bed until 12 or 1am. The child is usually still asleep when he gets up for work around 9am.

Something about this greatly unsettles me...

Something about this greatly unsettles me...

What's wrong with aside form not conforming to how you do things?

My experience of working in a work place with a few hundred people and where start/finish time is flexible is that the overwhelming majority of people use it to come in late rather than early.

Only a handfull of people come in before 9am, less than 10%. On the other hand there will be plenty of people still around at 7pm or even 9pm you will find more people around than 8:30am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

What time does the child get up?

My experience of working in a work place with a few hundred people and where start/finish time is flexible is that the overwhelming majority of people use it to come in late rather than early.

Only a handfull of people come in before 9am, less than 10%. On the other hand there will be plenty of people still around at 7pm or even 9pm you will find more people around than 8:30am.

That's one workplace. Pretty much everyone I know uses flexitime to come in early. So it varies. And if the OP's housemate wants to use his (if he has it) to go in early, that's his call and all that matters here. What happens in other workplaces and what works for other people is irrelevant. And he might not have flexitime, he might just have to start early. Not a thing can be done about that. My husband starts work at 08:15 and to get there on time, he needs to rise at 06:45. He will not go to work without showering first, it just wouldn't happen. And a lot of people have to travel a lot farther than him to work. Rising before 7 is not remotely unusual. A housemate cannot dictate another housemate's work hours and schedule and would rightfully be told where to go if they tried. End of story.

When the guy leaves the house at 9, the childer is still sleeping according to the post on the subject. Babies need about 12 hours sleep at night though so it's hard to imagine the baby sleeping to noon or 1pm! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What's wrong with aside form not conforming to how you do things

What's wrong is that children thrive on routine and if that child is in the habit of going to bed at that hour, then they're gonna be in for a massive shock in a couple of years when they start preschool/primary school. It'll be a very hard habit to break.
    Kids of that age need a minimum of 10 - 12 hours sleep, if they're staying awake till 12-1am they mustn't be waking till at least 10am-11am which will not be compatible with a good school routine when they're older. And also not enough sleep for a toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There is absolutely no reason to be putting your child to bed at 1am. The only reason being it facilitates the parents sleeping in later which is the most lazy, selfish and idiotic form of parenting.

anna080 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason to be putting your child to bed at 1am. The only reason being it facilitates the parents sleeping in later which is the most lazy, selfish and idiotic form of parenting.

People who chose to operate different hours are not lazy, I hate the way people think that, it's noting more than social conditioning. Who cares if people chose to wait up late and get up later it's a perfectly legitimate way of doing things. The morning is for sleeping and late at night is for being up imo, this is the natural body clock for many people.

People who chose to operate different hours are not lazy, I hate the people think that. Who a res if people chose to wait up late and get up later it's a perfectly legitimate way of doing things. The morning is for sleeping and late at night is for being up imo.

Varies I'm sure, but I know it's usually 11pm for bed at least as otherwise he wakes too early so I'd imagine it's after 9am anyway for waking as that's the time my colleague generally gets up to be in for around 10am or so.

Varies I'm sure, but I go it's usually 11pm for bed at least as otherwise he wakes too early so I'd imagine it's after 9am anyway for waking as that's the time my colleague generally gets up to be in for around 10am or so.

So earlier you said he goes to bed around 12 or 1am.

And he gets up about 9 or 10am.

That's about 9 hours sleep average.

A toddler should have at least 12 hours sleep at night and a 2 hour nap during the day.

So yeh. They're not being very nice to their child just to suit their own "needs".

Not a great argument to be fair Nox.

• Advertisement

So earlier you said he goes to bed around 12 or 1am.

And he gets up about 9 or 10am.

That's about 9 hours sleep average.

A toddler should have at least 12 hours sleep at night and a 2 hour nap during the day.

So yeh. They're not being very nice to their child just to suit their own "needs".

Well the child can sleep as late as he wants and as far as I know sleeps quite a bit during the day. Also has nap sometime in the late afternoon evening too I think but I don't know the ins and outs. All I know is that like all parents they have a routine that suits them and nobody can say it's wrong just because it's different to what they do.

I really don't see the issue, some people want to get up early and home early others prefer getting up late and working late so obviously they will get their family into the routine that suits them.

Advertisement