Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Response to Snowflake Comment

Options
  • 15-07-2017 9:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Zaph claimed last night:

You are the living embodiment of a snowflake who takes offence at every little thing

Because I called him out on his approach on the thread, Is AH Homophobic and transphobic?

He locked the thread before I could respond. If you could add my response please, in the interest of fairness.

I knew I’d be called a "Snowflake", just not by someone representing Boards.ie I should be a allowed respond to that.

Snowflake is a term of the alt right movement. So it's usage in a thread about Homophobic, Transphobic abuse is particularly loaded.

The left having grown on university campuses, critical and analytical, now easily dismantle any argument from the alt-right. The alt-right, unable to respond in such a comprehensive manner can only retort with "Snowflake". Unable to debate, they respond with a loaded insult, Trying to switch the tables on the oppressed and the oppressor by feigning victimhood.

Snowflake, first used in Fight Club, is a term with sexist, homophobic and misogynistic undertones, mostly used against people who fight against Homophobia, Racism, Transphobia and Misogyny. Mostly online usage.

The fact you fight against racism, sexism, transphobia, homophobia and so on makes you 'fragile' to the alt-right.

You are on the right side when someone resorts to calling you a “Snowflake”, they have nothing else and they are afraid to use the real meanings behind the word.

George Take put it best:

The Thing about “Snowflakes” is this: They are beautiful and unique, but in large numbers became and unstoppable avalanche that will bury you.

References:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/23/alt-right-movement-white-identity-breitbart-donald-trump

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol-alt-right-terminology-20161115-story.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

To quote a song from a well known movie that incorporated snowflakes of a different kind, let it go.

Final warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement