Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Resigning

Options
  • 15-07-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

i,
    I currently work in a retail/hospitality industry, but possess a masters in a specific field. I have signed a contract to begin a new job (in my field of qualifications) in August, yet I've found myself in a tricky situation regarding resigning.
    My manager is away on vacation at the moment and will not be back for 10 days. From what I understand about handing in notice, it's important that your manager is the first person to hear about your intentions, but his absence is making this tricky.
    I could wait until he returns, but employee hours have been cut and I'm worried that two individuals may leave within the next week or so (as a result of their reduced hours), meaning that it could potentially be a triple whammy of resignations upon my manager's return.

Should I just wait until he returns from vacation and tell him in person, risking the possibility that two other employees resign before me and thus exacerbating the impact of my resignation. Or should I hand my notice in now to the person left in charge, running the risk that I put a dampener on my manager's vacation (I assume she will be phoned to sort out replacements), and also meaning my manager is not the first person to be informed of my intentions.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Other people resigning isn't your responsibility. The sooner you give notice, the sooner they can start the process of replacing you. Resign asap to the person who's covering your manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Look after yourself first. Hand in the notice to the person left in charge, as that is why they are left in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Other people resigning isn't your responsibility. The sooner you give notice, the sooner they can start the process of replacing you. Resign asap to the person who's covering your manager.

Absolutely this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

From what I understand about handing in notice, it's important that your manager is the first person to hear about your intentions, but his absence is making this tricky.

To reassure you, this unwritten rule just means that you shouldn't go discussing your intention to resign with coworkers, customers, other teams' managers, your boss's boss's boss, etc. before you've informed your direct manager. It would likely leave an unfavorable impression if they first hear about you leaving from the rumor mill or from their boss asking them why they haven't sorted your replacement yet before you've even discussed it with them. Presenting your resignation to their stand-in if they are out on leave and won't be back for a while is perfectly reasonable, however, and is exactly what you should be doing.

Advertisement