Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Cycling

Options
  • 15-07-2017 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Just back from town, come across a bunch of cyclist 15 or so from <snip> approaching a roundabout as I was half way round.

Indicated for my turn off, not 1 but 4 cyclists decided to chance their arm and go for it, had to brake and a blast of the horn, luckily no car behind me.

Wouldn't be the first time i have come across members from this club cycling without due care.

With all the fatalities of recent and cyclists getting a hard time from certain media you would think that clubs are informing members to be more vigilant on the roads.

As a fellow cyclist, actions like these give the majority a bad name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Tifosi wrote: »
    Just back from town, come across a bunch of cyclist 15 or so from <snip> approaching a roundabout as I was half way round.

Indicated for my turn off, not 1 but 4 cyclists decided to chance their arm and go for it, had to brake and a blast of the horn, luckily no car behind me.

Wouldn't be the first time i have come across members from this club cycling without due care.

With all the fatalities of recent and cyclists getting a hard time from certain media you would think that clubs are informing members to be more vigilant on the roads.

As a fellow cyclist, muppets like these give the majority a bad name.

You might be better posting on their Facebook page. Most clubs would take constructive criticism well. Maybe leave out the muppets bit!!

The probably have a member or two on here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Complain to the club and hopefully they'll cop on. I think they are quite active on the social media channels too so could contact them there. I'm assuming you mean <snip> as they have a very recognisable kit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Since when has the Cycling forum become the "I have a complaint about people on bicycles forum?"

Should I go over to the Beer forum to complain about drunks outside pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Since when has the Cycling forum become the "I have a complaint about people on bicycles forum?"

Where else would you comment about a issue of safety!, about a particular sport this forum is about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

No but one would go to the pub forum for that..

• Advertisement

Tifosi wrote: »
    Where else would you comment about a issue of safety!, about a particular sport this forum is about

I think you blowing them out of it with the car horn was enough, no need to come on here and complain about cyclists..

I think you blowing them out of it with the car horn was enough, no need to come on here and complain about cyclists..

This to me is another siege mentality, do no wrong thing, all motorists are d!cks, that seems to be cropping up. When valid criticism comes up, it should be allowed. It perhaps belongs in the buffalo and doozerie or near misses thread however.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Send a mail to the club sec, if your not happy with the reponse, try CI.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In fairness to the OP, their comments and unername would indicate that they are not the usual random motorist ranting about cyclists.

Weepsie wrote: »
    When valid criticism comes up, it should be allowed..

Yea, you're missing the point, the Motors forum for example, wasn't set up as a place you can go to complain about the van driver who cut you up on the M50... Or the Bus enthusiasts forum to complain about the driver of the 46A who braked too hard while you were standing downstairs...

• Advertisement

Yea, you're missing the point, the Motors forum for example, wasn't set up as a place you can go to complain about the van driver who cut you up on the M50... Or the Bus enthusiasts forum to complain about the driver of the 46A who braked too hard while you were standing downstairs...

There are plenty of threads in the motoring forum about bad driving and plenty of threads the same.

There are plenty of threads in here about behaviour, etiquette, styles, bad driving, dangerous situations. It's not a fairly all encompassing thread. Except for MTB etc, they still get little about them.

The OPs post is valid. Does it require a dedicated thread, no you're probably correct there, but the post is valid.

The risk is of course, someone else pops in and starts a rant of course.

Well anyways, the OP can contact the club secretary via CI to resolve their issue..

Large/Roundabouts in Ireland are terrible for cyclist safety and are designed for motor vehicles to traverse them at a good speed... Thinking your vehicles indicator gives you right of way on the roundabout and blasting other road users with the car horn... well, I don't bother with that kinda road rage.. unless of course someone drives into ya..

He is already on the round about by the sound of it, they were not. He had right of way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Large/Roundabouts in Ireland are terrible for cyclist safety and are designed for motor vehicles to traverse them at a good speed... Thinking your vehicles indicator gives you right of way on the roundabout and blasting other road users with the car horn... well, I don't bother with that kinda road rage.. unless of course someone drives into ya..

Right of way on a roundabout is very clear,you give way to traffic traveling to the right.

If you cannot accept this without ranting you shouldn't be using the roads.

Weepsie wrote: »
    He is already on the round about by the sound of it, they were not. He had right of way.

Man if I had €1 for every car/truck/bus/van that I encountered in my path whilst driving on a roundabout i'd be rich...! I used to give them an oul blast of the horn, but what's the point, it's just road rage, ease off on your speed and just keep moving..

Besides, as mentioned, Irish roundabout design is dangerous for cyclists, so those in motor vehicles should show more consideration for vulnerable road users...!

This is what more advanced countries have:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Similar happened myself a couple of weeks back a group approx 40 entered a round about first 10 or so no issue the rest failed to yield to myself and another car (2 lane rabout) forcing us n others to stop on the roundabout despite having right of way.

Thought at the time it was a bit of a dick thing to do but then later found out it was a junior group flanked by senior members. What chance to these riders stand if they're being thought wrong from the out set.

Report it to the club OP send a pm on FB if you're on it. That's what I did and got the 1.5 reply until I explained the issue I had more clearly. I doubt it made any impact though to be honest.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    If you cannot accept this without ranting you shouldn't be using the roads.

Who cannot accept what and who is ranting?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, as already advised you can complain to the club or their affiliation

Naming and shaming on a public website when we only have one side of the story is not on and I'm deleting references to the club and closing the thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement