Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC FN113 - Glasgow: Nelson -v- Ponzinibbio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

Gutted for Gunni.

I would like to see him train at a proper gym. For me SBG is the Conor McGregor gym. His success has been a double edged sword. Conor put them on the map and his association brings in a lot of membership fees from soccer moms and weekend warriors.

But the flip side is that the whole gym is centered around Conor, including Kavanagh. If Conor has a fight then everybody drops everything to travel with him to LA/Vegas and is on his beck and call for however many weeks. The guys who are left behind, who are they training with? Who is their coach?

And you have to ask whether Conor is then 'giving back' to these guys who drop everything for him. When was the last time you saw him in a teammates corner? (or even attend their fight). How often does his attend group training sessions and pass his knowledge to the younger guys? In the 8 months since the Alvarez fight, how much time did he spend in SBG acting purely as training parter for guys who previously gave up their time for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

John didn't go on the MayMac world tour though and he was there tonight and indeed with him all week.

John didn't go on the MayMac world tour though and he was there tonight and indeed with him all week.
    Yeah he was with him for the last week of probably an 8-12 week camp. Skyping or whatever the rest of the time. That's not a good arrangement. Maybe he should have been in the MMA camp where he knows a few things instead of the boxing camp where he knows absolutely nothing.

Where was he when Artem fought? Blowing his own trumpet in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Nelson by Decision
    The guys who are left behind, who are they training with? Who is their coach?

And you have to ask whether Conor is then 'giving back' to these guys who drop everything for him. When was the last time you saw him in a teammates corner? (or even attend their fight). How often does his attend group training sessions and pass his knowledge to the younger guys? In the 8 months since the Alvarez fight, how much time did he spend in SBG acting purely as training parter for guys who previously gave up their time for him?

You'd get better answers from Tazz, Clive or one of the SBG'ers but just from social media I can tell you Conor taught at least 2 classes this year in the gym, both boxing/striking. Last fight he was at Octagon side was with Artem in Belfast last November.

I get your point but you need to be very selfish in the fight game. He was having a kid and a $100 million fight upcoming, there's only so many ways he can split his focus.

I'll tell you what sort of worried me about Gunni this week - when he was on The MMA Hour last week, he was in his parents attic and saying his kid was jumping into a big pile of pillows behind him.

I remember Chris Weidman saying he got too comfortable and was considering moving out of his gaf for training camp because it's so difficult at the highest level to try be a fighter and a daddy and be going home to do this, that and the other with the kids.

I suppose everyone has their own way of doing things but you can definitely see how it might be difficult to juggle them both. Maybe he could do with his next camp being in Dublin, just to isolate himself from distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nelson by Decision
    He was having a kid and a $100 million fight upcoming, there's only so many ways he can split his focus.

Made time to spend the guts of a month in Liverpool on the laughing gas and marching powder. Seems he had plenty of time to split.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ponzinibbio by Sub
    Wonder your really stretching. 2 classes in a year? Probably spent more time in that tree house.

As for win or learn. They can learn all they want but they are average (ufc average, so good but average in the grand scheme of things) at best and what they learn never seems to be applied so win or learn is a little cath phrase for when they inevitably lose.

You'd get better answers from Tazz, Clive or one of the SBG'ers
    Nobody is going to trash him on the record. We can just go by what we see which is that everybody drops everything to be part of Conor's training camp...and then he is not part of theirs. He's busy trashing hotel rooms with lads from Crumlin.

Compare to fighters from other gyms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nelson by Decision
    Gunni will bounce back, he's a legit top 10 fighter and could still challenge for a title. I do think he needs to go somewhere and get a new look though. There's only so much you can learn in a limited environment and sadly Dublin and Iceland are limited environments.

Even if he just went somewhere like Tri-Star or JacksonWink for a little while to train with a different type of fighter it will benefit him, he could still do his fight camp in Dublin or Iceland.

I think he's part owner in Mjolnir though, so maybe commitments there and the fact that he has a young family limit his ability to travel to train.

• Advertisement

Nelson by Decision
    Made time to spend the guts of a month in Liverpool on the laughing gas and marching powder. Seems he had plenty of time to split.

Well you obviously know I was highly critical of the nitrous oxide stuff and being legless in a treehouse partying with Dublin "gangsters" for 4 days in the back-arse of Liverpool.

Whatever about that situation, I always felt it was a bit strange he flew 7 hours to NY to be in Mick Conlan's corner but didn't head to Artem v Cub.

If we're being realistic, is there much he could have done to help Charlie or Gunni tonight? Conor isn't very similar stylistically to either Bofando or Ponzinibbio so I'm not convinced it'd have made much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nelson by Decision
    Team SBG are looking very one hit wonder. A fantastic hit though but god the rest of the gym are looking like a pack of jabronis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nelson by Sub
    No idea how Conor has been brought into the conversation here its his fault Gunni got caught its mma in 4oz gloves **** happens, cant expect JK to head over to Iceland for 3 months either if Gunni didnt wanna train here for it then its his own decision he made his bed tonight he sleeps in it,

SBG is nothing like a one hit wonder if were honest the likes of Pendred exceeded their potential in winning fights in the UFC, they are from an old generation where hard work got them that far, the games changed too many good fighters at that high level now, as much as I like his his act Gallagher is a product of SBG from the start basically and is the hottest prospect in Bellator I think you'd do well to find a better 20 year old fighter in mma.

Nelson by Decision
    ricero wrote: »
    Team SBG are looking very one hit wonder. A fantastic hit though but god the rest of the gym are looking like a pack of jabronis

Well, at UFC level if you take Conor out it's not a pretty picture...SBG's record in the last 2 years is 8-12... but on the other hand it's far too early to judge things.

Gunni 2-2
    Holohan 2-1
    Artem 2-3
    Pendred 0-2
    Daly 1-1
    Makwan 1-1
    Charlie 0-2

You'd have to imagine Charlie will be joining Paddy, Ais and Pendred in retirement, Makwan and Artem who knows what way that goes...so that only leaves Conor (boxer??!), John Phillips (debut), and Gunni.

Even Gunni... most UFC fighters are only really 2 or 3 consecutive defeats away from being in danger. Look what happened with Tumenov. He was the next big thing, 2 defeats later he gets cut. Obviously Conor has a lot of power now so he could probably keep both Artem and Gunni around indefinitely if he wanted to...

They've only really become very professional in terms of nutrition, equipment, cardio etc in the last couple of years. It's easy to forget but they didn't have replica Octagon's and all that jazz even 3 years ago and Conor was still cutting weight in ridiculous risky ways.

James Gallagher, for all the abuse he takes, does seem a legitimate prospect. I actually think John Phillips is capable of putting in a good run of performances if they don't feed him to the dogs like they did with Charlie. Blaine O' Driscoll looks a perfect Bellator type of fighter as well with another win or 2, I'm pretty keen on his chances and Smullen has the potential too.

Sure we'll see. At the end of the day if it does come down to it... if the history books in 40 years show SBG was basically just a Conor McGregor supernova... that wouldn't be so bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Nelson by Decision
    Even Gunni... most UFC fighters are only really 2 or 3 consecutive defeats away from being in danger. Look what happened with Tumenov. He was the next big thing, 2 defeats later he gets cut.

Tbf Gunni has headlined a few events I'd gather he needs a severe amount of losses (Travis Browne style) to be in danger, Tumenov is a great fighter but not noteworthy enough to have around clearly, terrible showing in Manchester too by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Nelson by Decision
    tinpib wrote: »
    Your best bet would always be Sinnotts at Stephens Green shopping centre main entrance, if you ask the staff at the very least they will stick it on one telly in a corner.

Sound, Bruxelles stuck it on for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Lads let's be honest we have been absolutely spoiled with mcgregor, once in a lifetime.

When he goes reality will hit again as it's already starting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Gunnar says he was poked in the eye and should have stopped the fight at that point.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/07/gunnar-nelson-complains-of-eye-poke-during-ufc-fight-night-113-ko-loss-to-ponzinibbio

From what people say on here Charlie Ward is a thug so the sooner he is retired the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Gunnar says he was poked in the eye and should have stopped the fight at that point.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/07/gunnar-nelson-complains-of-eye-poke-during-ufc-fight-night-113-ko-loss-to-ponzinibbio

From what people say on here Charlie Ward is a thug so the sooner he is retired the better.

i wouldnt call charlie a thug , he was only brought in because of conors pulling power. he is just not ufc level, simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

cloudatlas wrote: »

Saw this on reddit:

uisoDxP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

maximoose wrote: »
    Saw this on reddit:

uisoDxP.jpg

That's nasty and malicious.

Gunner did try run off for a bit after it to compose himself.

Seems very unfair now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Seems very unfair now.

Not sure how you can say it's nasty and malicious from a screen grab with no context?

Definite poke and I'm sure it affected him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Nelson by Decision
    ricero wrote: »

I have no loyalty or affiliation to SBG but I have no hesitation in saying that is absolute b0llocks.

The vast majority of teams in this country and thousands of teams across the world will NEVER have a single fighter in the UFC, never mind getting to the same level as SBG where they have 7 or 8. Team Ryano have 2 and even that is a phenomonal achievement.

And thats not to mention their (SBG's) MMA success at regional level and in Jiu Jitsu competition. If they are a one hit wonder thanks to having McGregor in their stable then pretty much every other team in the world is a no-hit wonder. And if the rest of the team besides McGregor are ''jabroni's'', you must have impossibly high standards.

SBG are in the top 1% of MMA teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Seems very unfair now.

It happens the whole time, one of the big issues which MMA is trying to sort out at the moment. Unless a fighter has history of doing it all the time it's unfair to say it's nasty and malicious.

Definitely very unfortunate thing to happen. But loads of fighters risk doing it by the way they control distance, with hands strechted out as far as possible. Even in the Felder fight the ref told both fighters to stop leading with the fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Sad to see Gunner make excuses like that.

Eye pokes are part and parcel. Look at Gustafson and Jones.

Jiu jitsu is his strong point but he tried fighting standing up. Bad mistake.

John_D80 wrote: »
    The vast majority of teams in this country and thousands of teams across the world will NEVER have a single fighter in the UFC, never mind getting to the same level as SBG where they have 7 or 8. Team Ryano have 2 and even that is a phenomonal achievement.
    In fairness I don't think simply having fighters "in the UFC" is a good judge of gym quality.

UFC are a business and we know they sign many fighters for commercial reasons...to break into new markets etc.

Most people will agree that a lot of those SBG guys did not get signed purely on merit. They got signed due to Conor's influence and UFC wanting to have a few token Irish guys on Conor's undercards. We saw the shenanigans with Artem on TUF. In the case of Charlie I suspect Conor requested his signing and subsequent second fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well you obviously know I was highly critical of the nitrous oxide stuff and being legless in a treehouse partying with Dublin "gangsters" for 4 days in the back-arse of Liverpool.

Whatever about that situation, I always felt it was a bit strange he flew 7 hours to NY to be in Mick Conlan's corner but didn't head to Artem v Cub.

If we're being realistic, is there much he could have done to help Charlie or Gunni tonight? Conor isn't very similar stylistically to either Bofando or Ponzinibbio so I'm not convinced it'd have made much difference.

I did think of this myself, and I honestly think he went to NY not just to support Conlon, but he knew the boxing press would be there, it was a prime opportunity to make a bit of noise.

As for Charlie, when I saw that last night i thought he broke his neck, it was terrifying. No harm in retiring now though, no shame in it.

Nelson by Decision
    In fairness I don't think simply having fighters "in the UFC" is a good judge of gym quality.

UFC are a business and we know they sign many fighters for commercial reasons...to break into new markets etc.

Most people will agree that a lot of those SBG guys did not get signed purely on merit. They got signed due to Conor's influence and UFC wanting to have a few token Irish guys on Conor's undercards. We saw the shenanigans with Artem on TUF. In the case of Charlie I suspect Conor arranged requested his signing and subsequent second fight.

2 of them (Lobov and Ward) got their shot thanks to Mcgregor and I'm sure they wont be the last either, but in fairness to Lobov he proved on the show that he was more than good enough to be there. The rest of them IMO earned their own way in and had varying degree's of success. Nevertheless its a huge achievement for the gym and the individuals themselves

I agree with you by the way that there is a lot more to determining the quality of a gym by how many fighters it has in the UFC but I was responding to another poster who was calling the gym a one-hit wonder and was merely using that as a jumping off point.

As an MMA gym there is so much more to SBG's success than just the UFC but it seems some people dont see it if they are calling a gym like SBG a one-hit wonder.

Nelson by Decision
    Gintonious wrote: »
    I did think of this myself, and I honestly think he went to NY not just to support Conlon, but he knew the boxing press would be there, it was a prime opportunity to make a bit of noise.

As for Charlie, when I saw that last night i thought he broke his neck, it was terrifying. No harm in retiring now though, no shame in it.

True but I reckon whoever represents him will be getting a phonecall from the likes of BAMMA or CW pretty soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

John_D80 wrote: »
    True but I reckon whoever represents him will be getting a phonecall from the likes of BAMMA or CW pretty soon.

A few easy fights might not be a bad idea, just don't put him in there with animals like last night.

Advertisement