Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.6% Mortgages with Ulster Bank

• 15-07-2017 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Ulster Bank, on 25 July 2017, will announce new mortgages rates.

New rates include a market leading 2.60% fixed for 4 years. Currently the cheapest mortgage rate on the market for new customers.

Worth noting:
    - Ulster Bank given 1,500 EUR cashback ('legal fee contribution') which, in most, cases, is not as high as the 2-3% cashback offered by BoI, PTSB and EBS but rates are obviously much lower with Ulster Bank.
    - If you think rates will decrease further, due to competition, over the coming period, then locking for 4 years may not be wise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Just starting a mortgage with them, we're 8k below threshold, wonder will they be nice and give us this rate, will save us €60 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I got my yearly statement from them on Friday and it included a letter advising their different rates for existing customers. A 3 minute phone call later I was on a 3.3% variable down from a 3.7% variable with their loyalty programme. If your mortgage was over 200k you were eligible for an even lower rate. Fantastic bank to deal with I must say. 3.19% if I had gone for a fixed rate, glad I didn't now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Dave147 wrote: »
    Just starting a mortgage with them, we're 8k below threshold, wonder will they be nice and give us this rate, will save us €60 a month.

You will, most likely, need to get inside the LTV treshold first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Currently in a fix d with AIB 11 down 14 to go. Could/should I switch to Ulster bank?

Currently in a fix d with AIB 11 down 14 to go. Could/should I switch to Ulster bank?

You will need to finish your fixed term with AIB first or pay an exit penalty to get out of your fixed rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I'm with Ulster Bank. They are great. They're inefficient but I think many banks seem to have mortgage depts that don't seem to have much of a clue. When getting mine last year, I was beginning to question if my mortgage was the first one they'd ever done.

I'm on one of their loyalty rates. I was going to fix for 3 years at 2.9% and asked what would the rate be at the end of the term. I was on 3.2% when I asked this. I was told I wouldn't go back to the loyalty rate. I'd be put back at the SVR. If that was today it'd be 4.3%. But I could fix again at the end of the term if there was another good rate.

So just ask that question before agreeing to it. It doesn't make sense to me but the guy on the phone was sure and its what it says in the small print. The savings id make in the 3 years would be wiped out after a couple of months if I didn't fix again or switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭thebackbar

I'm with Ulster Bank. They are great. They're inefficient but I think many banks seem to have mortgage depts that don't seem to have much of a clue. When getting mine last year, I was beginning to question if my mortgage was the first one they'd ever done.

I'm on one of their loyalty rates. I was going to fix for 3 years at 2.9% and asked what would the rate be at the end of the term. I was on 3.2% when I asked this. I was told I wouldn't go back to the loyalty rate. I'd be put back at the SVR. If that was today it'd be 4.3%. But I could fix again at the end of the term if there was another good rate.

So just ask that question before agreeing to it. It doesn't make sense to me but the guy on the phone was sure and its what it says in the small print. The savings id make in the 3 years would be wiped out after a couple of months if I didn't fix again or switch.

100% agree with these sentiments in relation to Ulster bank.

They need to clarify what interest you will be offered when you come off the the fixed rate ! If someone finished the fixed part of their mortgage with Ulster bank now are they forbidden from applying for the loyalty rate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just switched to 3% fixed with BOI for next three years so slightly miffed! Still was on 3.6% before that so still knocking some time off the mortgage (kept payments at same level)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

You shouldn't be charged a penalty if your repaying the entire mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

I can see ulster bank eventually pulling out of the irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

JTMan wrote:
    You will, most likely, need to get inside the LTV treshold first.

I wasn't able to read the end of the article without signing up, we're 80% LTV and haven't drawn down fully yet and haven't started our repayments but we did sign on for 3 year fixed at 2.99% so is it a case of tough **** for us or would they be able to give us the better rate. Bank manager is on holidays for another week and a half otherwise I'd drop him an email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,140 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

every bank will tell you you go onto sv after a fixed rate, you need to renegotiate at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Wohoo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

How does this compare to ufirst gold discount?

Dave147 wrote: »
    I wasn't able to read the end of the article without signing up, we're 80% LTV and haven't drawn down fully yet and haven't started our repayments but we did sign on for 3 year fixed at 2.99% so is it a case of tough **** for us or would they be able to give us the better rate. Bank manager is on holidays for another week and a half otherwise I'd drop him an email.

You should have a 30 day cooling off period. Act fast. If the manager is not around speak to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It is a fixed rate mortgage, they are doing this because they expect the other vendors will drop there rates. They hope people sign up before everyone else drops there rates.

There flexible rates are still just matching KBC if you borrow over 200k.

There saving accounts etc don't seem to offer anything better than KBC, 3% on a saver account from KBC seems a lot better than anything Ulster are offering

I would expect other banks to drop rates so I would not be signing up to any fixed rate mortgages at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Cheers op
    just ordered 5 houses. Hopefully they'll honour the deal:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Banks are pushing customers to fix, as they are seeing competition heating up in the market. There are two other firms wanting on a license to give out mortgages. CUs are pushing to give out mortgages. Banks want you to fix, as they are seeing that rates will drop further. The ECB is showing no sign of hiking rates for years to come. It makes no sense to lock in fixed rates to protect yourself from rate hikes that are not coming for 2/3 years

In a few weeks, KBC, BOI and AIB will have slashed their rates on par with UB

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭thebackbar

Banks are pushing customers to fix, as they are seeing competition heating up in the market. There are two other firms wanting on a license to give out mortgages. CUs are pushing to give out mortgages. Banks want you to fix, as they are seeing that rates will drop further. The ECB is showing no sign of hiking rates for years to come. It makes no sense to lock in fixed rates to protect yourself from rate hikes that are not coming for 2/3 years

I thought that an ECB rate rise was expected in 2018 ?
    The Irish Central Bank seems to be very slow to allow new entrants into the market, when is it expected that those banks will get their licensees ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The ECB rate didn't affect non tracker mortgages on the way down surely shouldn't affect it on the way back up, however this is Ireland isn't it.

• Advertisement

Just switched variable rates with UB on the back of this thread. Saved 0.45% on my rate. Every little helps!

Looking into switching to EBS in the coming weeks/months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just switched variable rates with UB on the back of this thread. Saved 0.45% on my rate. Every little helps!

Looking into switching to EBS in the coming weeks/months.

2 switches , is that not costly ?

listermint wrote: »
    2 switches , is that not costly ?

In not aware of any cost to switch rates with Ulster. I'm not changing bank.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

thebackbar wrote: »
    I thought that an ECB rate rise was expected in 2018 ?

It is always possible, but very unlikely. Brexit is having a big negative impact on rates.

Even if they do go up, you are only likely to see a .25% increase. The long term outlook is very low rates.

The thing is, even if ECB rates go up, it is likely to be cancelled out by increased competition. Compared to the rest of Europe, Irish rates are still extremely high. With the economy doing so well, the banks here are starting to make fat margins on those high rates and other companies are looking at entering the market.

So while ECB rates might slightly increase, the reality is increased competition in the Irish mortgage market is likely to drive down rates here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

0.45% on a mortgage rate of perhaps a multiple of 7 is a lot, not a little :)

An Ri rua wrote: »
    0.45% on a mortgage rate of perhaps a multiple of 7 is a lot, not a little :)
    True, 3.65% to 3.2%. Just shy of 12.5% discount.

Now I have to decide if I give up my uFirst Gold A/C. It costs €14 per month. Main benefit was a 0.5% discount on mortgage. We also get family travel insurance and 25% ticketmaster cashback.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sounds interesting. What two firms are looking for a licence?

It makes no sense to lock in fixed rates to protect yourself from rate hikes that are not coming for 2/3 years

A Bloomberg survey of economists and analysts think that the ECB will increase rates in Q4 2018.

No guarantee that KBC nor BoI nor AIB will price match the 2.6% Ulster Bank offer. It would require a large drop from their existing rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

JTMan wrote:
    think that the ECB will increase rates in Q4 2018.

They wish, with Trump and Brexit, ECB rate will still be below 1% in 10 years time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Just changed to a 5 yr fixed with kbc last week...is there any cooling off period for this !?

Advertisement