Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weed?

Options
  • 15-07-2017 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi, is this a weed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hi, is this a weed?

It is Prunella Vulgaris, also called "Self-heal" - a common grassland plant which makes attractive pools of dark green and purple flower among low-growing grasses. It is particularly valuable to gardeners in hot dry summers where lawn grasses dry out and bleach. Supposed medicinal properties have not been verified, as far as I know.

It's only a weed if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Hello Day Lewin,
    you have a great knowledge on plants. You describe it so beautifully I nearly forgot it was a weed. Thank you for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hello Day Lewin,
    you have a great knowledge on plants. You describe it so beautifully I nearly forgot it was a weed. Thank you for replying.

Thank you very much!
    I don't call things "weeds" unless they are truly a menace.
    Self-heal is a favourite...I love spotting the little deep-purple flowers in short grass.

Advertisement