Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ Gas question

Options
  • 15-07-2017 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We got a Gas grill. Weber 4 burner. A few months ago.

Propane gas and the cylinder is about knee height.

Anyway, it has already run out after maybe 12 barbecues.

Is that normal? We had a spare and switched over etc but I'm just worried we may have a leak or a fault, or do they only last that long generally?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How long did you have it on for? some people go totally by the book of what the manufacturer says, and will heat up for ages before and after to burn any remaining food/fat off -which I often think is very excessively long. They often put it up full blast during this time too.

If there was a significant leak I would expect to be able to smell it. There is usually a flip switch on the thing that goes on the canister, I would flip this to on and not fire up the BBQ, I would leave the canister and BBQ under its cover if you have one, this way the gas will not just dissipate into the air and the smell would be more noticeable.

I can't remember how long we got out of ours as I did not buy it, it was pre & post heated though and 12 goes does not strike me as strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Fair play, thanks for that!

Yeah to be honest we'd have it on full tilt for a while heating up before each one. And I'd be fairly lazy about leaving it up quite high in between cooking different things etc.

I dont mind the few bob for refilling and stuff, it was just a case of not having the foggiest notion how long they're meant to last.

You put my mind at ease there saying 12 goes doesn't strike you as strange. Thanks Dub!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

With no experience of a gas barbeque I'd say it's way to quick. I have a small gas bottle and use it for a 2 ring camping cooker and I always think it's going to run out but never does. It's been used to cook meals dozens and dozens of times. Think about a flame from a lighter and how little gas that uses to get an idea of how much is needed for a burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Did you turn the main valve off on the gas bottle after use?
    If the main valve is not turned off then gas can leak out and empty the bottle.
    Make it part of the routine to turn off the bottle after cooking.
    If you want to check for leaks use some fairy liquid in a diluted solution and pour it on the connections and regulator, if there is a leak it will bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Cheers. Yep we always turn it off at the bottle after use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Did you turn the main valve off on the gas bottle after use?
    If the main valve is not turned off then gas can leak out and empty the bottle.
    We used to take the adaptor completely off the cylinder. I remember as a kid going to get the gas and think we got gas at least once a year, and might have had about 12 per year at a guess.

A camp stove would be far more efficient, not need to preheat or postheat, you are directly heating a pan with minimised wasted heat.

Maybe worth asking in the BBQ forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542022

Advertisement