Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will house prices ever stop growing?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

frefrefre wrote: »
    thank goodness he's off to foreign affairs now.

Hopefully he's better at foreign policies than housing policies though ... if he messes-up our diplomatic ties and trade relations as badly as what he did with the housing market, I won't be saying "thank goodness" as it could have an even worse impact on the country! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭frefrefre

Bob24 wrote: »
    thank goodness he's off to foreign affairs now.

Hopefully he's better at foreign policies than housing policies though ... if he messes-up or diplomatic ties and trade relations as badly as what he did with the housing market, I won't be saying "thank goodness" as it could have an even worse impact on the country! ;-)
    He doesn't see what he's done as having messed up though. According to him and FG, developers/builders couldn't make a profit at current price levels so the 20k sweeetener to them indirectly had to happen to get construction up and running!
    A lot of natural FG types would be the middle class voters in our urban areas and they'll b delighted with the house price growth. They've played to their constituency and their benefactors with this one and it's worked. The under 35's don't vote in enough numbers to punish them either, they'll have known the risk factor wasn't very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

He doesn't see what he's done as having messed up though. According to him and FG, developers/builders couldn't make a profit at current price levels so the 20k sweeetener to them indirectly had to happen to get construction up and running!
    A lot of natural FG types would be the middle class voters in our urban areas and they'll b delighted with the house price growth. They've played to their constituency and their benefactors with this one and it's worked. The under 35's don't vote in enough numbers to punish them either, they'll have known the risk factor wasn't very strong.

On this yes purely from a political point of view (but not in the general public's interest) he has achieved something. Not sure who's happy about rent freeze rules and the RPZ thing though. I'm hearing complaints both from landlords and tenants about this as it basically bothers landlords without delivering the protection it is supposed to give to tenants (quite the opposite as they get evicted when LLs want to review he rent).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Zenify wrote: »
    Is it wealthier? any back up statistics?

Not in wages it isn't. They stagnated for the last decade.

And of course taxes are higher. For this reason I can't see us getting anywhere near 2007.

The recent panic is entirely produced by Coveney.
    Very true and he knew the FTB grant would have this exact effect, thank goodness he's off to foreign affairs now.

A classic example of a politician having to be seen to be doing something even though it makes things worse and he has been told that it will be the case.

Now walked away with a promotiin. Total incompetent.

And of course taxes are higher. For this reason I can't see us getting anywhere near 2007.

Very true and he knew the FTB grant would have this exact effect, thank goodness he's off to foreign affairs now.

A classic example of a politician having to be seen to be doing something even though it makes things worse and he has been told that it will be the case.

Now walked away with a promotion. Total incompetent.

• Advertisement

I think it was that graduate wages are back up to 2007 levels which would be a drop in real terms I guess, but wages in Ireland are generally higher than UK and most of Europe.

I think it was that graduate wages are back up to 2007 levels which would be a drop in real terms I guess, but wages in Ireland are generally higher than UK and most of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

maninasia wrote: »

Not a very big drop, though, necessarily; there hasn't been very much inflation over the last decade.

Advertisement