Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muileann (Kinsealy)- New Development

Options
  • 15-07-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Has anyone put down a deposit for Phase 1 of the Muileann development in Kinsealy?

Think the houses have nearly all gone in this round and seems are on track for an Autumn move in. Thought they were lovely.

Seems the brochure/floor plans has a few errors and different from the showhouse though?

Would love to know what the area is like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I started a thread about hisnin the Dublin county north forum when construction started. A few people have posted on that.

We live in one of the older estates nearby. We've been here nearly 10 years and really like it. Our eldest is in the gaelscoil and we're really happy with it. The rest of the kids will be following her in years to come. The new educate together school in Holywell has a very good reputation too from what I've heard. You have to go a bit further for secondary schools though.

The swords express from Holywell to town is brilliant. You'll get to O'Connell street from your door in half an hour which is brilliant for how far out it is. Swords pretty much has everything you need as well.

We know of one family who've sold a smaller house in the original drynam hall and have paid a deposit on one of the new four beds. We're looking for a four bed too but we're hoping to get an extra reception room tooo which no new houses seem to have anywhere unless you spend over 700k!

Are you new to the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pinto123

Thanks for that detailed overview, really useful! Appreciate the reply. Ill check the other thread too.

I'm currently living in Portmarnock but Kinsealy seems lovely with a nice community. The houses seem to be making great progress with power even going in this week.

Someone mentioned the 43 bus goes past this area as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

The 43 bus stops close to the junction of Kettles Lane and Drynam Road.
    Have a look at the timetable to decide if it's frequency is good enough for you.
    The Swords Express stops in Holywell which has easy access from Muileann via the path/cycle way built a few years ago off Russell's Terrace.
    Google Maps has a fairly recent update of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lazyexcuse

Buyer beware - is anybody buying in Muileann and are you aware these are leasehold properties meaning you never own the land on which you've paid your hard earned cash on a mortgage.

I've done some research on leaseholds and its quite scary whats been going on in the uk. Ground rents introduced at a nominal rate so they are slipped in under the radar and then unbeknowns to the house owner their freehold is sold to an investment fund (vulture fund) and only available to the unsuspecting house owner at extortionate rate of many 10's of thousands.
    See link below..

Why is this throwback from colonial days still permitted in Ireland. Why are agents only divulging this information to perspective buyers at contract stage when the emotional bond between the property and buyer is established. Seems like subterfuge to me

Google this new-builds-house-buyers-leasehold-property-trap

Would appreciate peoples views on this particularly if you have reserved a property in Muileann

Mod Note:

Do not cross-post in multiple forums.

I had deleted this post but on reflection that may cause others buying a leasehold property unnecessary concern.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It would be wise to discuss any potential consequences of a leasehold with your solicitor rather than relying on google searches for examples from a completely different legal jurisdiction.

UK laws do not apply in Ireland even though there may be some similarities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sweeneed

any more info on this? strongly considering phase 2 in a few weeks and this appears worrying. will have to do some more research! also unsure about potential management fees as we will not own the small garden areas outside the houses.

Have you asked the agent?

In another thread discussing this development another poster stated they had checked with their solicitor and confirmed the properties are freehold.

sweened, I have a solicitor looking at this currently so will know more in a few weeks but it appears they are freehold with covenants attached to the transfer of the sale of the houses which include both the sold lands and retained lands that the buyers agree to abide by. There is a management fee attached to the estate, estimated at 400e-600e p.a. based on property size, but slightly higher for apartments. I would prefer for the estate to be Local Authority managed but I'm not adverse to an Owners Management Company (OMC) provided costs are controlled and value for money is evident.

Lazyexcuse wrote: »
    I have a solicitor looking at this currently so will know more in a few weeks

That's probably wise given you appear to have been mislead in the past.

Considering your concerns I am surprised you've gone sale agreed in this development to say that your solicitor has the necessary documents to review.

Thanks Graham, The Hill Billy & I thank you for your input, however you should not assume I would go sale agreed until my enquiries are entirely satisfied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dubliner9

Thanks for the info Lazyexcuse. Could you let me know is there any condition on extending the house?We are planning to go for a 4bed and the kitchens appeared to be small. Appreciate your help on this.

dubliner9 - wording is as follows;

Not to alter or decorate the exterior of the sold land otherwise than with the prior consent in writing of the vendor or the OMC (including windows and front door thereof)

Not make any alterations in or to the sold land (to include extensions or attic conversions) without prior approval in writing of the vendor or the OMC of the plans and specifications submitted to the vendor or the OMC for approval and to make those alterations only in accordance with the said plans and specifications when so approved and to obtain at purchasers own expense all licences planning permissions and other things necessary for the lawful carrying out of such alterations and to comply with all regulations applicable generally or to the works undertaken.

Not to carry any alterations or development to the sold land of a structural nature without having first consulted a structural engineer who will take into account the location and design of the house including but not limited to the structural timber used in its initial construction and not to carry out or permit any works to be carried out otherwise than by a building contractor with experience of timber frame structures.

I guess the short answer is yes you can extend, but you must comply with the above. I cant comment on whether it would be difficult to get the written approval for your extension as outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 heritz

The only problem I have seen so far with Muileann is that their solicitors would not accept a "subject to loan" clause in their contracts. Even if you already have a letter of offer, they could take a year to finish the properties, and no bank will give you a letter of offer for 1 year. So you are basically in risk of losing your deposit if they take too long to complete the construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Katie1_14

AIB give mortgage approval for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FIA5T

Does anyone know of the completion date for Phase 1 of the development? Savills had said the end of September, but the builders on site think it will be October some time?

Savills had initially said between August and November when they launched the first phase in June. They are now estimating October-November, which is still between the initial timeframe. The builders on site have also estimated October, November the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pinto123

Hoping they can clarify if it October or November soon, especially since Phase 2 launching this weekend and they urging everyone to sign the contracts. Solicitor indicating it will be soon but would be more inclined to believe the builders!
    The OMC charge for the 3 beds is around €350 I think- keen to talk to residents down the line on this as obviously it will be a building site for the next year!

is there any breakdown on what the OMC charge includes? landscaping, painting,bins? also, do these charges typically increase over the years? put a deposit down at the weekend but dont have any details yet......

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Little123

The list below is a sample of what is included as per the agent.

Public Liability insurance

Directors & Officers insurance

Electricity

General repairs

Electrical repairs

Landscaping

Pest Control

Managing Agents Fees

Audit and Accountancy

Sinking Fund

Communal bins charge (Only units with no rear entrance)

Each year the various jobs would be put out to tender to ensure value for money with charges agreed by directors of the OMC and voted on by the members at the annual meeting.

Each household is required to be a member of the OMC as part if their purchase, with 1 vote per household.

Anyone purchasing in an estate with an OMC should be prepared to attend any meetings and vote to ensure that value is being obtained and to avoid unnecessary charges or increases.

Charges may increase but must be voted on by the members. According to the Multi Unit Development Act , for a proposed increase not to be applied, it must be rejected (dis-approved) by not less than 75% of people in attendance at the meeting who are eligible to vote , further highlighting the importance of participation and attendance by residents. (citizens advice site states increase needs 75% approval but this is incorrect it's only 26% approval or 75% rejection)

As already mentioned by Pinto123, the development will be a building site for a good while so gaining a clear understanding of what up front annual fees for 17/18 will be spent on is also important.

The best OMC's are ones with active and engaged residents, obviously a lack of participation could result in avoidable charges or increases being applied.

My understanding is that the local authority will step in at some point in the future and take on the roads/lights and footpaths with communal areas remaining the responsibility of the OMC , however there is a possibility that this will also be voted on at a later date.

Thanks for the info! I'm all for participation - as you say, it'll keep the OMC doing what it is supposed to do and avoid unnecessary increases. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 KingInTheNorth

Hey Guys,

I have created a group for all the new Muileann Residents.

Please join the group on facebook for discussions, etc. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/737145683136267/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BDUB13

Hello,

I have contracts signed and sent to the devlopers solicitor but they have not returned them yet to my solicitor is this the same for everyone else in Phase 1 ?

Also does anybody know the square yard measurements for downstairs in the Type C 3 bed, excluding the Utility room and downstairs Toilet. im looking to get floors priced ?

Thanks.

We are in the same position , pressure was applied 2 weeks ago to get contracts signed and back to the developer, but to date nothing has been recieved back by our solicitor.

I have emailed the agent to enquire as to expected timelines but no word back yet. Also waiting on a snagging date.

Would be interested to know if anyone has progressed to snagging yet.

If you are looking to measure up , you could contact the agent and ask if the property could be opened up for you. They might give you the foremans number to arrange a time. It probably depends on the build stage of the house.

Thanks for the reply

I phoned the estate agent earlier today and they advised my property is now ready for snag so I presume there is a number ready now
    I queried why I was not notified and the agent said they are very busy at the moment and don't have the time !

Same here. Contracts signed about 2 weeks ago. Nothing has been returned yet. No word from their solicitors either.

Just wondering if anyone has had signed contracts back or completed thier snagging.
    Completion is looking quite far away at this point.

Has anyone been given a completion date yet ?

Any specific issue to be aware of on snagging ?

Also curious on the people who have had their properties snagged this week. Any issues? something we should be aware of or pay extra attention to while having it snagged?

My snag will be carried out on Monday, If any issues arise i will post,
    still waiting on my signed contract to be returned. My property is one of the first 20 properties so im hoping it wont be too long now until i move in !!

Thanks for the replies, glad to hear about snagging next week and that the absence of contracts isn't holding things up. Hopefully ours won't be too far behind.

Good luck for the snagging next week.

• Advertisement

Hi
    the snag was completed yesterday cost 175 euro I have attached the details below of the snagger I used

<snip>

Nothing major came up here below is an example of one of the rooms to give you an idea of what he spotted

Also Stephanie told me to expect contracts to be returned this week from ardstone

Kitchen
    • Door is rattling
    • Fridge freezer switch and socket in splash back-seal with grout and tidy up any existing messy finishes around same.
    • Socket in splash back is off level
    • Check kitchen doors for level and flush fitting
    • Touch up wall paint work where blemished
    • Settlement crack in floor at patio door
    • Rhs patio door glass is scratched
    • Patio door /reveal joint is uneven
    • Seal gap between splash back and wall cupboard
    • Window frame /reveal joint is uneven
    • Under sink doors don’t line up
    • Top drawer front is chipped
    • Door front to rhs of oven is chipped
    • Under oven filler panel is chipped