Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbaaly incident?

• 15-07-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what's going on i think every guard in limerick just went in there follwed by 2 ambulances?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Where in Corbally? Car accident possibly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

In the Abbeylock estate

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I did a Twitter search and found this.

Apparently a husband and wife from the area were walking by the canal path ( it passes by beside abbeylock/abbeyvale) , and the man was attacked by a small group as they left the canal path near Abbeylock, the woman ran to one of the nearest houses and the Gardai were called

Was it a random attack?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Nothing new for that area.

Will be interesting to see was it random if so that's a major issue for that canal walk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

kilburn wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see was it random if so that's a major issue for that canal walk.

According to the news, it could be as a result of an incident earlier in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

kilburn wrote: »

Yeah, it would stop a lot from using it, particularly those who use it alone or in the evenings (even though this attack was on two people and in broad daylight)

What was particularly notable about this was the fact that three peoplle were assaulted - the perpetrators crossed the green from the canal and smashed the windows of a van ( with some kind of metal bar?) , the driver of whom had seen the original incident happening and tried to intervene to stop it. This happened in the middle of the day also, in an area that's busy , and overlooked by a lot of houses. Bizarre stuff. I walk the canal bank very often, all over Corbally, and while I've often seen people drinking etc, I've never had cause to feel I was about to be assaulted by some gowl.

I gather the gardai came very quickly, so hopefully they may be able to apprehend whoever was responsible - they ran back down the canal banak afterwards - I know there are cameras on part of the bank ( over by the back of Clare Street park) but not sure if they are active.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

I know a young man who was walking alone on the UL to the white bridge stretch of the walk yesterday when a group of gurriers tried to force him into the river but luckily passersby came on the scene and they scarpered. There really needs to be patrols along that stretch.

I saw a lad getting arrested on saturday evening at the canal slipway to the Pa Healy rd beside st marys so maybe he was one of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Dangerous area with the good weather lots of scum sunshine drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

3 of them there this morning at the end of Lelia St by the Canal. Must have been a Breakfast meeting, it was 9:30 ;).
    Not in any way dangerous, but still asking every passerby for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ah jaysus what's Ireland coming to if you can't enjoy the hours of 6am to 11am free from scummers.
    I blame Leo and all his "gettin up early" talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Two marked cars just flew down there again. Could see two lads about 14/15 trying to warn their cohorts to run followed by two women who could be their mothers all shouting unintelligibly towards the canal area from the coke bikes.

Seems so the canal bank is an area to avoid unless you join in further out away from this "type"

I'm reasonably sure that, not so long ago, the usual crew here were poo-pooing the idea of these walks being anything but safe for anyone, anytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Where exactly are these incidents happening? I don't usually find myself on the stretch towards Corbally so can't really comment on it, but I'm regularly on the canal path and the path towards Plassey and while there'd be the odd dodgy character hanging around I've never seen much untoward happening.

A real problem will occur if people shy away from using these paths because of the fear of something happening, and of course that will only make the problem worse. The more people using these amenities the safer they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

The pathway is getting a fairly bad reputation already which is such a pity after all the money that was spent on it.

I know of a good few retired couples who had used it fairly regularly since it was upgraded who don't use it anymore due to these incidents.

Do the guards patrol the path either on foot or on bikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

L.T.P. wrote: »

How often do you see the Gardi patrolling anywhere anymore?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

davo2001 wrote: »
    How often do you see the Gardi patrolling anywhere anymore?!

I work just down from the Garda Station and rarely see any foot patrols.

I've seen gardai on bikes on the canal path once or twice, but not in the last year. But then again, you rarely see Gardai (on foot )anywhere in the city - even prime shopping areas. Gardai in cars, yes, but foot patrols? They dont have the resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

L.T.P. wrote: »
    The pathway is getting a fairly bad reputation already which is such a pity after all the money that was spent on it.

I know of a good few retired couples who had used it fairly regularly since it was upgraded who don't use it anymore due to these incidents.

Are we talking about the UL pathway here? I don't know anyone who believes it's getting a bad reputation :confused:

I cycle and run on it most days, wether its in early morning or cycling home from the pool late in the evening. Its always crowded with happy path users and I rarely see any anti-social behaviour. Only once on the road section of the path near the city were stones thrown at me by a gang of youths. It was quite dangerous and I got off my bike and gave them a right bollocking for it and threatened to call the gardai, so they apologised.

panda100 wrote: »
    I got off my bike and gave them a right bollocking for it and threatened to call the gardai, so they apologised.

Amateurs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Amateurs :rolleyes:
    :pac:

In fairness, two of the taller, older kids just laughed at me but the younger ones looked somewhat sheepish and apologetic when I confronted them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

topcat72 wrote: »
    Gardai in cars, yes, but foot patrols? They dont have the resources.
    what feet! you often ,not always, see a garda car with 4 in it ! it wouldnt be terrible to see 2 of them patroling or cycling around these river walking areas to try and deter antisocial activity ...even have some garda reserves(if they are still a thing ) on these routes would be better than nothing especially in the summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Just saw two guards on foot patrol on the canal so not an urban myth :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

panda100 wrote: »
    Are we talking about the UL pathway here? I don't know anyone who believes it's getting a bad reputation :confused:

I cycle and run on it most days, wether its in early morning or cycling home from the pool late in the evening. Its always crowded with happy path users and I rarely see any anti-social behaviour. Only once on the road section of the path near the city were stones thrown at me by a gang of youths. It was quite dangerous and I got off my bike and gave them a right bollocking for it and threatened to call the gardai, so they apologised.

The path from the Irish Estates to UL..

Path from city out

• Advertisement
Advertisement