Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avengers Infinity War **spoilers from post 572**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Were they funny, most of the humour felt forced and fell flat? When I go see a film I pay attention but clearly, you know more about my viewing habits than I do given that you seem on a mission to prove me wrong. I get it, you like the film and need to point out why those who have issues with it are wrong so as to validate yourself. That's cool and all but some people just like different things.

I'm on a mission now? I'm trying to understand your position and I'm questioning your experiences because they don't seem to gel with my experiences (or anyone elses, from has been posted). A persecution complex doesn't really do anything to dispel the notion that you are just railing against the movie because it's popular and you just want to stand out by not liking it.
    Consider this:
    Infinty War is the 19th movie in the series and a good few of the jokes reference things which happened in those previous movies. Maybe someone who admits that they don't remember most of what happens in these movies simply isn't going to get these jokes?
    Not really when it's that fake laughing but I did forget that you know more about the screening I was at than I do.

Going by others who have posted about their experiences at their viewings, you must have been the only person at a viewing with fake laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Thousands of films don't have any death and nobody thinks anything of it.

But do you know what films receive criticism for having deaths be meaningless? Films that make those deaths a central plot point, thats what.

Why do loads of people have to die to make it worthwhile? They don't, not at all. But if you do have loads of people die then its a very valid and rational criticism to point out that those deaths were completely meaningless and devoid of tension.

Only.if the sole reason for that death is to provoke the audience in a rather cheap manner. I wouldn't put IWs ending in that bracket. It arises naturally from Thanos' goal and will affect the other characters in the next movie and give them a goal.

But it seems audiences view deaths not as story elements but as some kind of goal in itself to force them to feel something. I think there's something wrong with elements of an audience when a big discussion revolves around WHOS GONNA DIE???

Take walking dead as the prime example of this (and leaving aside whether the show is terrible now or not or if it has too many characters or not). There basically became an obsession among the fan base about who was going to die and whether they were going to be a big character or not.

Sure the writers fed into this a bit but in fairness it's pretty natural for a show like that to have a lot.of death in it. I just wonder why the fans become so obsessed with character deaths.

I think it's a fairly negative trend in genre (because it does seem to be limited to genre) audiences.

I'm on a mission now? I'm trying to understand your position and I'm questioning your experiences because they don't seem to gel with my experiences (or anyone elses, from has been posted). A persecution complex doesn't really do anything to dispel the notion that you are just railing against the movie because it's popular and you just want to stand out by not liking it.
    Consider this:
    Infinty War is the 19th movie in the series and a good few of the jokes reference things which happened in those previous movies. Maybe someone who admits that they don't remember most of what happens in these movies simply isn't going to get these jokes?

Going by others who have posted about their experiences at their viewings, you must have been the only person at a viewing with fake laughing.

Give it a rest, it's tiresome at this stage. I get it, anyone who doesn't love the film as much as you did just wants attention and is secretly lying to themselves and pretending that they didn't enjoy it. I take it that you are a huge fan given that you can remember all 19 previous entries and pick up on the clearly deep and knowing jokes that only those with an intricate knowledge of the films will get.

Welcome to the cancer of modern fandom, someone finds a film average and the fanboy circles the wagons to pick everything apart and prove just how right they are for loving the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Penn wrote: »

Deaths in TV shows and films serve a purpose. As great as it would be to see Chris Evans or Robert Downey Jr. in more Avengers films after the next Avengers movie, maybe the death of one or both of them would serve a greater purpose to the story and characters.

Why death though? Why not just retire, or any other plot device you can think of? I think there's more going on with audiences than a need for a long standing character to make way for fresh blood. I think it's odd that the death of characters is actively craved so fans can feel something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd have to add that the reaction of the audience shouldn't be a factor in whether or not a film was enjoyable or not.

It's unfortunate, Darko, that you went to see the film with an audience who by your description sound like the audience from Jerry Springer and would be completely atypical based on all the Marvel movies I've seen, some of which numerous times, in the cinema. But that doesn't make the film itself guilty by association (not implying you're saying that, just pointing it out).

The issue with overpopulation isn't about space but rather reseources. The Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations is predicting that by 2025, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity. Oil is similarly running out and if our habits don't change and our oil usage remains at the same level then unless huge reserves are found oil will run out in 40 or so years. The same story with gas, there's plenty of it but known reserves will be empty in less than 50 years.

A problem with resource allocation is not the same as a problem with resource amounts (if 1.8billion living with scarce water then that means 6+billion living with enough or more than enough water). Most of the actual problems with drinking water is having enough clean water, which is an issue with treatment, not absolute quantity of water.
    The issues with oil and gas can be overcome by, as you said yourself, changing habits because they are not resource problems, they are habit problems.
    Maybe Thanos wanted to make the point that actions have consequence, simply creating more of everything means that people won't change and in years to come the same issues will arise again.

And all the changes they do so that they wont have the same issues again in the future can be achieved before killing half the population.
    As for people crying, by all means, get emotional but snotting up over Agent Coulson a supporting character who up to that point had been an afterthought is a bit of an overreaction.

He clearly wasn't an afterthought to the fans. Isn't that great? People having different opinions and liking different things? Bit weird to be so hung up on it.
    A lot of the posts in this thread today are people telling me why I'm wrong for not liking The Avengers

No, they have been people questioning your reasons because they seem to amount to "I don't like this movie because other people like it too much".
    Many of the posts are less concerned with talking about the film as they are in having a go at people simply because they didn't like a work of fiction as much as another person did. It's the cancer of modern fandom, no longer do people discuss the art but attack those who don't love it as much as they themselves do.

:confused: Really? It's everyone else doing this, not you, the poster whose main arguments seem to be mocking people crying at characters deaths or laughing too much at jokes?
    My 10-year-old brother loved Infinity War and much as I had issue with it if he continues to like them then long may it continue. I won't lie about my thoughts on it here or when discussing cinema but when he asks I will happily tell him that it's hard to pick a favourite film or moment. In fact, listening to him talk about how much he loves the films does a better job at selling the film than anything on here. He genuinely loves the film and told someone who disliked it that it didn't matter if they liked it because there were other films they like. He's 10 and his first thought wasn't to tell them they were wrong for not liking the same things as him.

I hope he never cries at a marvel characters death in front of you.

Penn wrote: »
    I'd have to add that the reaction of the audience shouldn't be a factor in whether or not a film was enjoyable or not.

It's unfortunate, Darko, that you went to see the film with an audience who by your description sound like the audience from Jerry Springer and would be completely atypical based on all the Marvel movies I've seen, some of which numerous times, in the cinema. But that doesn't make the film itself guilty by association (not implying you're saying that, just pointing it out).

I never said that was my experience at IW, I said that part of the reason that I waited 2-3 weeks to see the film was to ensure that I didn't have to listen to opening weekend fanboys. Also, I have sat through films with American audiences and still loved the film, the fake laughing and clapping you get at film festivals and at certain films would never colour my opinion toward a film in any way. It's the same way that I didn't let the groups of people talking over Elbow's last gig stop me enjoying it, I just ignored them and concentrated on the gig once it was clear that shushing and then telling people to shut up doesn't work.

I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt because I didn't enjoy the 300 million dollar CGI spectacle as much as you did. You've clearly put a lot of thought into trying to validate your opinion of the film and you are welcome to think that OMG IT IS THE BEST but just because someone doesn't get as emotionally involved in superhero as you does not mean that they are wrong. When you grow up and can have an adult discussion without throwing your toys out of the pram and attacking any differing opinions you may see just how wonderful discussion can be.

Give it a rest, it's tiresome at this stage. I get it, anyone who doesn't love the film as much as you did just wants attention and is secretly lying to themselves and pretending that they didn't enjoy it. I take it that you are a huge fan given that you can remember all 19 previous entries and pick up on the clearly deep and knowing jokes that only those with an intricate knowledge of the films will get.

Welcome to the cancer of modern fandom, someone finds a film average and the fanboy circles the wagons to pick everything apart and prove just how right they are for loving the film.

:rolleyes:
    I am not a fanboy, Infinity War is far from perfect and I don't think you enjoyed it. I completely believe you when you said that it is cookie cutter, middle of the road and forgettable for you. However you have spent mostly of your posts not criticising the movie, but criticising other peoples reactions to it, so don't expect to not get called on that.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt because I didn't enjoy the 300 million dollar CGI spectacle as much as you did. You've clearly put a lot of thought into trying to validate your opinion of the film and you are welcome to think that OMG IT IS THE BEST but just because someone doesn't get as emotionally involved in superhero as you does not mean that they are wrong. When you grow up and can have an adult discussion without throwing your toys out of the pram and attacking any differing opinions you may see just how wonderful discussion can be.

If you think I am attacking you then by all means report me.

:rolleyes:
    I am not a fanboy, Infinity War is far from perfect and I don't think you enjoyed it. I completely believe you when you said that it is cookie cutter, middle of the road and forgettable for you. However you have spent mostly of your posts not criticising the movie, but criticising other peoples reactions to it, so don't expect to not get called on that.

Have I, well that is news to me. Are you referring to the post where I said that I didn't go see it for so long as I don't like opening weekend audiences? Or the post where I called modern fandom and the reaction to every film such as this as cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aw, did I hurt your feelings by not enjoying the same things you did?

If you think they're all crap though, why do you still spend money going to see them?

If you think they're all crap though, why do you still spend money going to see them?

I have a 10-year-old brother who loves Marvel. Also, I don't hate the films, well bar the obvious ones I just find them very average.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

With the Gauntlet full?
    Yes

Then again, fully developed Wanda is also

Thanks. I just want to say that your signature is at once touching and inspiring.
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Not really when it's that fake laughing but I did forget that you know more about the screening I was at than I do.

Fake laugh hiding real pain...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks. I just want to say that your signature is at once touching and inspiring.
    :D

Well, ya got me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If all you remember about a film is that you enjoyed well then was it really a good film, there are films I have not seen in over a decade but can still recall entire scenes. Hell, I've deliberately not rewatched Seven Samurai in years in the hopes of forgetting it so that I can rewatch it again and experience it anew but so far that's not worked as I can close my eyes and watch the film play out beat by beat.

I never said that it wasn't well made or unenjoyable, just that at the end of the day it is a nothing film that is quickly forgotten. Nothing wrong with that but that does not make it a good film.

By nature of the pacing of an action film like this, I'm not sure how much you can expect to remain in your head in detail. It'd be the same sort of feeling I had watching Mad Max Fury Road.

Slow dramatic moments in film are easier to fix in the mind. Even so, it's not like I can quote scenes from Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now or whatever either, despite having seen them numerous times.
    In the real world overpopulation is a huge concern for the future, population growth has exploded and it's not slowing down anytime soon. The fact that famine is still an issue in 2017 considering resources is quite telling, it may not even be resources that are the biggest problem but rather the hoarding of them.

Growth has halved in the past 60 years and is trending towards a population plateau in around 2100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Just caught up on the last couple of pages.. Jesus!!!

My opinion on Thanos is quite simple; he committed mass genocide. And however noble one thinks he may be in his reasoning, he did not have the right to take that decision upon himself.

He's a nutjob who had delusions about destiny. It's disturbing to me that someone would argue in favour of what he did. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's disturbing to me that someone would argue in favour of what he did. :eek:

You really have to wonder about some people. Not in a moral sense, just in terms of the lack of logic or critical thinking evident.

Thanos' plan would be similar to helping an alcoholic by pouring some of his beer down the sink and then walking away thinking that you had solved the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Just caught up on the last couple of pages.. Jesus!!!

My opinion on Thanos is quite simple; he committed mass genocide. And however noble one thinks he may be in his reasoning, he did not have the right to take that decision upon himself.

He's a nutjob who had delusions about destiny. It's disturbing to me that someone would argue in favour of what he did. :eek:

Not sure if I'd call it genocide as he wasn't aiming to wipe out any ethnic group or race, just half the population of everything.

In a way, it kinda reminded me Ozymandias plan in Watchmen, as in his end game is to try and save the universe from itself. Ya can't make an egg without cracking an omelette and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Enough with the 'fanboy' accusations. Something about that word that reliably sends threads down the gutter. Just to reiterate this part of the charter:
    The 'attack the post, not the poster' rule extends to more generalised posts. Condescending comments or generalised insults aimed at everyone and anyone who disagrees with you are just as bad as attacking an individual.

Several of the posts here are unnecessarily aggressive and condescending, so final warning to just take a step back and focus on the film rather than individuals or groups who like/dislike it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

kerplun k wrote: »
    Not sure if I'd call it genocide as he wasn't aiming to wipe out any ethnic group or race, just half the population of everything.

In a way, it kinda reminded me Ozymandias plan in Watchmen, as in his end game is to try and save the universe from itself. Ya can't make an egg without cracking an omelette and all that.
    I googled genocide beforehand to make sure I was covered by the definition, apparently it can indeed just apply to a large group of people. :pac: :pac: :pac:

Either way it is insane. For someone to have the kind of complex that they think a decision like that can be made by them on their own.....has to be a bad egg.

Thanos' plan would be similar to helping an alcoholic by pouring some of his beer down the sink and then walking away thinking that you had solved the problem.

It's actually more like an alcoholic waking from a days long binge in a hospital being told if you drink again the next time you won't wake up. Thanos plan isn't perfect bit its better than most.

So far in the Avengers films there has been evidence that normal people have benefited from all this amazing alien technology. Just a billionaire and his friends, hell Black Panther and his people have been hoarding life saving tech for years and while life is all well and dandy for Stark it's amazing how little human life is valued. How often do we see an event in these films where the human cost is incredibly high but not a second is spent on it, but a man in a suit gets hurt and suddenly there are no limits to how far the Avengers will go. There's that bit where Vision is happy to die to stop Thanks and Cap is horrified at the thought but no one has any issue with hundreds of black people dying so as to give them time to save Vision. I would love to see a Marvel film about the aftermath of one if these battles, Spiderman: Homecoming touched upon it and asked a couple of interesting questions but they were quickly forgotten. Why should Tony Stark benefit from all this advanced technology and then from what we've seen not shared it with the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's actually more like an alcoholic waking from a days long binge in a hospital being told if you drink again the next time you won't wake up. Thanos plan isn't perfect bit its better than most.

No, it really isn't.

Unless you think Thanos is spending his free time on the farm sending out pamphlets to all of the hundreds of thousands of civilisations in the universe that out of nowhere had half their populations dissolve into thin air. Do you think he is going to go on a book tour and explain to all of the remaining people exactly why he did what he did and the implications for the future. :rolleyes:

The claim that his plan is better than most shows a staggering ignorance, more fool me for responding to such posts I guess.

The claim that his plan is better than most shows a staggering ignorance, more fool me for responding to such posts I guess.

The thing is, it's fiction no one saying that Thanos' plan isn't the worst idea is actually saying let's start genocide I'm real life. Thanos has seen an issue, over population and finite resources, he even says that Gamera's world is now a paradise as a result. Is it, well we'll never know as it's a work if fiction bit maybe a lesson such as that which Thanos taught is needed. After all his intentions are purer than most, he actually seems to care about more than himself whereas say Stark seems to care about nothing outside his own world. Thanos, once he thinks his job is done just wants to sit back and watch the sun set, he's not a dictator or conqueror but sees himself as a savior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So far in the Avengers films there has been evidence that normal people have benefited from all this amazing alien technology. Just a billionaire and his friends, hell Black Panther and his people have been hoarding life saving tech for years and while life is all well and dandy for Stark it's amazing how little human life is valued. How often do we see an event in these films where the human cost is incredibly high but not a second is spent on it, but a man in a suit gets hurt and suddenly there are no limits to how far the Avengers will go. There's that bit where Vision is happy to die to stop Thanks and Cap is horrified at the thought but no one has any issue with hundreds of black people dying so as to give them time to save Vision. I would love to see a Marvel film about the aftermath of one if these battles, Spiderman: Homecoming touched upon it and asked a couple of interesting questions but they were quickly forgotten. Why should Tony Stark benefit from all this advanced technology and then from what we've seen not shared it with the world.

Captain Americs civil war reflected on the aftermath of Age of Ultron. The bad boy even said that the avengers just went home while people died in the aftermath which led him on his path.
    Also I was at the premiere and I didn’t see any people clapping or fake laughter. Everyone genuinely enjoyed it.
    The only time I’ve seen that behavior was in the goddawful Star War prequels. So far in the Avengers films there has been evidence that normal people have benefited from all this amazing alien technology.
    You sound like you really don’t enjoy going to the pictures so maybe not bother and save us all a bit of time reading your posts.
    You might be happier , for sure I know a lot of us in here would be :)

Blazer wrote:
    Captain Americs civil war reflected on the aftermath of Age of Ultron. The bad boy even said that the avengers just went home while people died in the aftermath which led him on his path. Also I was at the premiere and I didn’t see any people clapping or fake laughter. Everyone genuinely enjoyed it. The only time I’ve seen that behavior was in the goddawful Star War prequels. So far in the Avengers films there has been evidence that normal people have benefited from all this amazing alien technology. You sound like you really don’t enjoy going to the pictures so maybe not bother and save us all a bit of time reading your posts. You might be happier , for sure I know a lot of us in here would be

Why not use the ignore button if you are unable to discuss the film in an adult manner. Save you getting upset when someone isn't as in awe of a film as you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Now that dick measuring contest is over lets have a bit of humour? Unless that triggers anyone?

32759912_1138100156329014_9059632739476570112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=da41ba8d16c6c757594b2a5b7cd55338&oe=5B51002A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭nix

Anyway..

Went to see it again with the bro, we went to the odeon in Blanch, and when that scene came around where it shows Cap holding dead vision and the Banner/iron hulk graphical monstrosity is in the background.. It actually didnt look anywhere near as bad as when i seen it in Cineworld/Rathmines, Banner looked a lil odd but nowhere near the level of jaw dropping shock awfulness as the prior two times :confused:

So i think I'll go to blanch from now on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

You are just getting used to it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There was a whole film about the repercussions of the Avenger's actions it was called Civil War

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw it yesterday I really enjoyed it for the most part.
    Thanos is an excellent villian.
    It is a pretty amazing feat to have that many characters and keep you engaged.
    I am glad I waited a few weeks so the screening wasnt totally rammed.
    I went with a friend who hasnt seen Black Panther or Thor Ragnarok so was a little bit confused by a few things but just asked after rather than asking during the film.

My only real criticism is
    it all felt a bit lightweight for me when it came to people dying off, i.e. when someone gets the time stone they can just seemingly undo everything....so if no one can ever really be killed off possibly what is the point? I think its time to kill off a few characters - maybe Iron Man....I hate to say it...but RDJ is kind of annoying me in the role, although I do like his relationship with Spiderman
    Probably in my top 5 of the marvel films, but my favourite is still probably Captain America Civil War, along with black panther and the original Iron Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I went through T1 security in Dublin airport on Monday afternoon, Thanos plan is perfect , and exactly what we need !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I went through T1 security in Dublin airport on Monday afternoon, Thanos plan is perfect , and exactly what we need !
    Air travel can do that to a person. On Monday, a 1 hour delay on one flight led to me being stuck at Frankfurt Airport for 8 hours and being awake for something like 30 hours.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just saw this today (finally). I found myself strangely affected at the end, as it did create quite an emotional impact.

Thanos was an excellent character, far more nuanced than the usual CGI villain.

I’m genuinely very intrigued to see how the next film will complete the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Watched this again. Any criticisms I had didn't really hold up second time around.

Even after having sat and thought about it a bit after the first viewing I was still sold on the horror the characters felt after the snap.

Looking forward to the digital release. I want to play Thor arriving in Wakanda on a loop for six hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRY6J6lD7k

30 second in we see Thanos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I suppose my problem is that we know that the sequel has already been filmed and is in post-production with a cast list
    that includes some of the "disappeared"
    . We know that time has to be rolled back, and we know who has the power to do that. So some of the mystery and suspense is absent, I suppose. :o

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

bnt wrote: »
    I suppose my problem is that we know that the sequel has already been filmed and is in post-production with a cast list
    that includes some of the "disappeared"
    . We know that time has to be rolled back, and we know who has the power to do that. So some of the mystery and suspense is absent, I suppose. :o

Who has the power to do that though? Dr. Strange is one of the "disappeared", and Thanos has the time stone.

Obviously we know the snap will be reversed so that does diminish the impact of the snap a bit, but it will still be interesting to see how exactly they get to that in the sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm thinking in relation to one of the disappeared.
    Spiderman will make an appearance after credits on Captain Marvel, in an out of context scene similar to what we got after Thor Ragnarok, this will free up the marketing team to hype up the next Spiderman film with trailers, teaser posters etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They could always use Vulture, Scorpion (and others) taking advantage of Spidey's absence and breaking out/attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Maybe Cap just runs anti-clockwise around the world like superman did and reverse time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I know it's still a year away, and Ant-Man & The Wasp and Captain Marvel lined up beforehand, but the AVENGERS 4 synopsis has been released.

Figured this can be split from the Infinity War thread.
    A culmination of 22 interconnected films the fourth installment of the Avengers saga will draw audiences to witness the turning point of this epic journey. Our beloved heroes will truly understand how fragile this reality is and the sacrifices that must be made to uphold it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well, that's
    Cap Dead
    then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Slydice wrote: »
    Well, that's
    Cap Dead
    then!

Or
    Tony
    , cause I'm thinking he'll throw this back at Cap
    The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make
    the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"I'd just cut the wire..."

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

Bacchus wrote: »
    Who has the power to do that though? Dr. Strange is one of the "disappeared", and Thanos has the time stone.

Obviously we know the snap will be reversed so that does diminish the impact of the snap a bit, but it will still be interesting to see how exactly they get to that in the sequel.

Antman.
    The first film made a big deal of him using his suit to morph to such a small size that he entered “the quantum realm” where time & reality has no meaning. But in that film he couldn’t control it. The sequel will probably be him expanding on that and figuring out how to control his quantum realm activities (Pym’s wife is down there since the 80’s so if time doesn’t exist, Antman could save her and bring her back? Then yada yada yada, he finds out Thanos’s thing might be fixed by time-shenanigans or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Antman.
    The first film made a big deal of him using his suit to morph to such a small size that he entered “the quantum realm” where time & reality has no meaning. But in that film he couldn’t control it. The sequel will probably be him expanding on that and figuring out how to control his quantum realm activities (Pym’s wife is down there since the 80’s so if time doesn’t exist, Antman could save her and bring her back? Then yada yada yada, he finds out Thanos’s thing might be fixed by time-shenanigans or whatever.

I don't think spoilers are necessary as it's just speculation based on already released movies.... so I'm not using spoiler tags below.

Personally, I think that's a stretch too far. Just because time has no meaning the quantum realm doesn't mean it can be used to turn back time. Sure, there's the "but it's a comic, they can just make up the rules" argument but for me it's too much of a convenient plot device. The MCU is already threading the line with the miracle element Vibranium that can do pretty much anything the plot requires. At least with the infinity stones themselves, they were well bounded/defined in their power and how they can be wielded/used.

Following your train of thought though, maybe it would be possible for someone to enter the QR in present day and exit it at another point in time? Again, a convenient plot device but I'd buy into that sooner than the QR being used to turn back time itself.

Weren't their rumours (possibly completely unfounded rumours) that the attack on Xandar wasn't shown because we'll get to see in Avengers 4? Maybe some of the heros are sent back via the QR to stop Thanos getting the power stone in the first place? They die in the process but the click doesn't happen... ugh then there's a paradox that the heroes that were sent back are now never sent back to stop Thanos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Or
    Tony
    , cause I'm thinking he'll throw this back at Cap
    The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make
    the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you.

He already threw that back at Cap in Avengers 1, by carrying the nuke through the wormhole. He didn't know he'd make it back to Earth or that he'd survive it.

That's what their arc in A1 was about. We know Cap would sacrifice himself to save others. But he got frozen in a time when someone like him was treated as a hero, and woke up where someone like Tony was treated as a hero, and Cap doesn't see that in Tony. Tony's two main conflicts before A1 were largely personal, or trying to correct mistakes he had made. Fighting for himself, like Cap said. He didn't see Tony as a hero who would sacrifice himself to save others. I don't think Tony did either, until he knew what had to be done with the nuke and just did it even though he thought he'd likely die because of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement