Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter afraid to go to camp

Options
  • 15-07-2017 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I have a 7 year old daughter who for the past three years had done ballet classes and really enjoyed it.

Every Summer the dance school holds a week long camp so I signed her up for it. She is an only child so I thought it would be good entertainment and company for the week as she is bored at home. One of her good friends is also going to the camp.

The problem is that at the end of year show a girl in her ballet group passed a mean comment to her saying that my daughter couldn't read or something to that effect.

My daughter is very sensitive and this comment really upset her. Because of this she does not want to go to the camp anymore.

I don't want to force her to go but at the same time I want her to learn to toughen up a bit and not to let silly comments put her off something she enjoys. I can bet that if she goes she will enjoy it and it will help her get over the upset, which she seems to really have taken to heart and has now blown out of proportion.

Any ideas how I can encourage her to go or to help her get over her fear? Or would canceling the camp be the best thing? I'd hate for her to give up her ballet over something so silly!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

It would probably be best to acknowledge her hurt and maintain that she still needs to go to camp. She might benefit from some problem solving tips around what to do if she's hurt by something someone has said e.g. Tell a camp leader, move away from the person etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

It would probably be best to acknowledge her hurt and maintain that she still needs to go to camp. She might benefit from some problem solving tips around what to do if she's hurt by something someone has said e.g. Tell a camp leader, move away from the person etc.

I've chatted to her about it and told her that I can understand why she's upset. I've tried to explain that sometimes people can say mean things but just to ignore it and tell the teacher.

She's so sensitive and gets upset easily. She's very kind hearted and just can't understand why someone would be mean. I think by going she would get over the fear of the situation. I hate to see her upset but I really would like her to toughen up a bit and not let things get to her so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

I've chatted to her about it and told her that I can understand why she's upset. I've tried to explain that sometimes people can say mean things but just to ignore it and tell the teacher.

She's so sensitive and gets upset easily. She's very kind hearted and just can't understand why someone would be mean. I think by going she would get over the fear of the situation. I hate to see her upset but I really would like her to toughen up a bit and not let things get to her so easily.

i wonder is there a bit more to it. maybe she doesn't want to go for some other reason and is using this. if she is seven she has at least 2 years done in school so she should be used to the cut and thrust of seven year old behavior and the kind of comment the other girl made seems to be on the mild end of things.

perhaps this other girl did more then your one is letting on, or perhaps she is doesn't like ballet as much as she used to can't face a week of it but doesn't want to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Is it an overnight camp or just a day time camp? If it is overnight maybe she does not want to go away for so long?

Advertisement