Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashed windscreen at soccer. Who's responsible?

Options
  • 15-07-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Was at a junior club soccer match and a very stray ball smashed my windscreen. Just wondering if this has happened before. I was told the insurance of the club I was at should cover the cost. And input would be a help.
    Thanks
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It should go under the club's insurance. They probably have something for accidental damage.
    What did the club say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Never mind the insurance sign that kid up if he has the power to put a soccer ball through a windscreen :pac:

See can you get the club insurance to cover it although they might be covered by it a risk you take parking next to pitch. If not it shouldn't affect your own insurance to claim for it, windscreen cover normally doesn't count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If you knowingly park your vehicle in an area where stray footballs are a regular occurance, you are deemed to run the risk yourself. I would not see the club liable

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Geezy

You probaly have windscreen cover on your policy nyway which shouldn't affect your no claims bonus if you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

BTW if you are a member of the club and it is an unincorporated association you will not be able to claim from them.

Generally, you would have to prove fault on the parts of the child who kicked the ball or the club. Those prospects seem remote on the facts.

I have seen a similar problem over the years at cricket clubs where a hit for 6 is signified by the dull thud of the windscreen and a look of amazement on the batsman's face that he actually hit a 6 and that he also hit a car in the process. Parking at a sports club is often deemed to be an acceptance of the risk of this event even though it is very remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Geezy wrote: »
    You probaly have windscreen cover on your policy nyway which shouldn't affect your no claims bonus if you use it.

DON'T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

grogi wrote: »
    DON'T.

Care to expand on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Care to expand on that?

Yeah, I'm curious too as it's often the case that windscreen cover is one of the best features, as in you call out the repair company who fix it on the spot and you simply give them your insurance details. No hassle.

Maybe it's one of those things you have to notify potential insurers and they jack up your quote?

The way the insurance market is going the government will have to step in because it will be affecting the economy badly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Allinall

Absolutely no problem claiming if you have windscreen cover.

That's what it's theee for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd be inclined to use my included windscreen cover, even if the club's insurance would cover it. My policy wouldn't be affected, but the club's would, and it's hard enough raising funds to run clubs as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just be careful claiming off the club. It doesn't tend to go down well if you have kids involved in soccer with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

If you knowingly park your vehicle in an area where stray footballs are a regular occurance, you are deemed to run the risk yourself. I would not see the club liable

So there is no spots lined out to park cars there i gather.. What are they for then.. Public liability and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

jimmynokia wrote:
    So there is no spots lined out to park cars there i gather.. What are they for then.. Public liability and all that.

The principle is 'volenti non fit injuria', which means, if you consent, you have no right of action. Therefore, if you park at the side of a pitch to watch a game, you know stray balls can leave the field of play, so you run the risk.

If a motorist is passing the same pitch and the same ball damages his car, he does have a right of action. He was just driving lawfully on the public highway.

Hope it makes sense

Care to expand on that?

Because you would have a claim on your policy that will drag behind you for years.

Because you would have a claim on your policy that will drag behind you for years.
    Is this fact or opinion?

Is this fact or opinion?

Are you contesting the statement that if you claim from your insurance you have a claim?

I'm curious as to whether what you say is correct or not

I would like to see it corroborated by other posters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

1 windscreen claim wont effect your policy.

@Sue Pa Key Pa will tell that 'this is absolutely not the case, the insurers are always fair'.

Reality is that even if it does not affect your NCB, you have to disclose it for future quotation - typically for next five years - and it WILL affect many of the quotes you get. Very often you will not be quoted at all, because of the recent claim.

• Advertisement

@Sue Pa Key Pa will tell that 'this is absolutely not the case, the insurers are always fair'.

Reality is that even if it does not affect your NCB, you have to disclose it for future quotation - typically for next five years - and it WILL affect many of the quotes you get. Very often you will not be quoted at all, because of the recent claim.

Maybe, but I was paying €600/year in the year I claimed for a windscreen. The following year I got my insurance down to €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

What we ask word for word is, Have you had an accident or claim regardless of blame, excluding one windscreen claim in the last five years.

So to the op youll be fine with the majority of companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Just to add, a few years ago my mother got her windscreen replaced. All was fine until she went to switch insurers two years later and had 'a claim' made. Just read the small print I suppose.

ASOT wrote: »
    What we ask word for word is, Have you had an accident or claim regardless of blame, excluding one windscreen claim in the last five years.

So to the op youll be fine with the majority of companies.

Yes, you represent majority of companies ;)

Basil3 wrote: »
    Maybe, but I was paying €600/year in the year I claimed for a windscreen. The following year I got my insurance down to €350.

The sole mention of yearly premium of €350 makes this history hard to believe at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Geezy wrote: »
    While the insurer you are with might not consider the no claims bonus unaffected, other insurers will.

Victor wrote: »
    While the insurer you are with might not consider the no claims bonus unaffected, other insurers will.

You're mixing two things:
    - NCB - it will not be affected. This is the discount you have earned with your current policy. It will be recognised by other insurers.

For example, at the renewal you earned 60% discount which represents 5 years claim free driving with your insurer. Any other insurer will offer you a corresponding 5 year bonus malus discount. I haven't seen a policy where a windscreen claim would affect your NCB.

- base premium - this MIGHT be affected. Hell, people are reporting their premium go up because they were NOT AT FAULT, but now represent 'higher risk' Hard to imagine the claim when the proposer is at fault, would not increase the base premium...

I've claimed for two windscreens in the last ten years or so. Hasn't dented my premiu at all.

endacl wrote: »
    I've claimed for two windscreens in the last ten years or so. Hasn't dented my premiu at all.

Have you switched insurers in that time

I'd be wary of claiming now until this issue is clarified one way or the other

I always presumed a windscreen was a free claim,so to speak

• Advertisement

Have you switched insurers in that time
    Yep. No issue. Windscreen is one of the things (possibly the only thing...) that Irish insurance companies do properly.

Advertisement