Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashed windscreen at soccer. Who's responsible?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Victor wrote: »
    While the insurer you are with might not consider the no claims bonus unaffected, other insurers will.

And there is the point - read the policy as insurers do vary in their terms and their interpreatations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    And there is the point - read the policy as insurers do vary in their terms and their interpreatations.

but is it the point?

surely you will carry the full NCD forward if the windscreen cover is an extra on your existing policy

how can it be misinterpreted by a new insurer if you still have it?

Just to add, a few years ago my mother got her windscreen replaced. All was fine until she went to switch insurers two years later and had 'a claim' made. Just read the small print I suppose.

When I switched insurer, the new insurer tried the same thing with me. I showed them with my renewal quote that my NCB was unaffected and was still at its maximum. They requoted me with a lower price.

I reckon insurers just try to get away with it if they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

surely you will carry the full NCD forward if the windscreen cover is an extra on your existing policy

Just generally speaking and I've said this before, the whole process of NCBs is a marketing tool by insurers and have no legal basis. Any insurer can ignore your bonus, even if you never had a claim in 50 years. Just be concerned about the premium & terms of the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Just generally speaking and I've said this before, the whole process of NCBs is a marketing tool by insurers and have no legal basis. Any insurer can ignore your bonus, even if you never had a claim in 50 years. Just be concerned about the premium & terms of the policy.

It is not just marketing tool. It is used to qualify risk as well.

A driver with 5 years NCB is considered lower risk than otherwise identical driver without any NCB. The one without NCB very often will not be even quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Basil3 wrote: »
    Maybe, but I was paying €600/year in the year I claimed for a windscreen. The following year I got my insurance down to €350.

Who were you with and who did you move to! any other details/circumstances which affected the quote?

1874 wrote: »
    Who were you with and who did you move to! any other details/circumstances which affected the quote?

Sorry, had to double check. Actually went from €600 to €415. ~€350 must have been when we paid the balance after initial deposit.

Went from 123.ie (quote for renewal was over 1k) to its4women. Unfortunately, not gonna be the same this year, as the Mrs has had an 'incident' :D

Oh, and also used a €35 discount code found online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

grogi wrote: »
    It is not just marketing tool. It is used to qualify risk as well.

A driver with 5 years NCB is considered lower risk than otherwise identical driver without any NCB. The one without NCB very often will not be even quoted.

It has fallen into casual use as a risk assessment feature. My point is that it is not a legal document and does not have to be considered by a potential insurer

As for your example, a driver of 20 years (claim free) under an open fleet policy would be considered a lower risk, but he has no paper to back it up.

Both drivers have an equal prospect of having a serious accident today, a NCB does not make you immune.

Advertisement