Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Zealand Suffolk

• 16-07-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Have any of you bought or already have lambs from the New Zealand SF. Thinking of investing. I presume they are not comparable to Irish SF so how do you choose a good one ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

brownswiss wrote: »
    Have any of you bought or already have lambs from the New Zealand SF. Thinking of investing. I presume they are not comparable to Irish SF so how do you choose a good one ?

No experience with them look good stock from what ive seen at events if i was sheep farming id be chancing them

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Afaik, there are only half bred NZ suffolks for general sale as yet, I haven't seen any PB ones for sale but I would definitely be looking at them as a crossing option on my ewes.

My impression was the head shape is much softer then the Irish bred Suffolks and they did look cleaner around the hind quarters than the last few Suffolks I had on the farm but I will be waiting a few more years until some PBs come on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭brownswiss

If they are only first cross the €600 seems pricey as the likelihood of any NZ genetics passing on to the lambs is slim

If they are only first cross the €600 seems pricey as the likelihood of any NZ genetics passing on to the lambs is slim
    Yeah, on average the lambs off the halfbred Suffolk ram will have 25% NZ Suffolk blood. Saying that, though, their ease of lambing and ability to take care of themselves would be a nice improvement and ease the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Yeah, on average the lambs off the halfbred Suffolk ram will have 25% NZ Suffolk blood. Saying that, though, their ease of lambing and ability to take care of themselves would be a nice improvement and ease the workload.

Is there not a fella in the midlands somewhere breedin them? Niall Walsh or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Is there not a fella in the midlands somewhere breedin them? Niall Walsh or something like that?

And l was following him on twitter without copping he had NZ rams. Might go for a drive up there fairly soon for a better look.

razor8 wrote: »

Where is this guy based ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

Afaik, there are only half bred NZ suffolks for general sale as yet, I haven't seen any PB ones for sale but I would definitely be looking at them as a crossing option on my ewes.

Most lads here bought in NZ rams to put on Irish suffolk ewes so at best they would be 3/4 or 7/8 Nz suffolk which I would reckon would be better than going pedigree of either Irish or NZ.

I looked into getting in NZ ewes form England but proving very hard to get breeders to part with females

What criteria would you use for choosing one NZ over another if they are so different to Irish suffolks?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link. I suppose if we are always complaining about the Irish suffolk that is certainly an extreme alternative. They seem to have the conformation of an Irish SF ewe. Hard to believe they can compete in days to factory

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

at the end of the day it is how many kg are sold for the least cost and effort.

but these lads remind me of yolks that would be tied up round the mart 30-40 years ago.

the nz model is extreme think alot could be achieved if pedigree breeders adopted more severe culling and less mollycodling.there are flocks particularly in the uk leading the way but they are not in the big money ponzi scheme so they dont make the headlines.

Have any of you priced NZ Suffolk rams this year? Are the prices based on quality and genetics or just the NZ brand ?

Advertisement