Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of making headstones, whats involved?

Options
  • 16-07-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi there, I have a CNC router and was thinking of making headstones. The actual act of engraving the headstone is no problem, however I'm wondering what else I need to consider.

I mean without actually doing it, I really have no other way of finding out, so any and all advice or opinions appreciated.

Is this a dumb idea, for some reason that i cannot see?

regards,
    ned .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Redd4 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have a CNC router and was thinking of making headstones. The actual act of engraving the headstone is no problem, however I'm wondering what else I need to consider.

I mean without actually doing it, I really have no other way of finding out, so any and all advice or opinions appreciated.

regards,
    ned .

People buy a full end to end service usually... Headstone, dig and pour foundations. Concrete the grave and provide the correct stone chippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

regards,
    ned .

Headstones are made from limestone marble and granite
    All granite stones are made in China and India and shipped here
    They are normally made in factory as it's one of the hardest stones available

Limestone and marble are soft stones which would be better but not as popular as

lots of gear needed to shape them so it will be costly for you
    Are you thinking of starting a new business selling headstones to the public?

realrebel wrote: »
    Headstones are made from limestone marble and granite
    All granite stones are made in China and India and shipped here
    They are normally made in factory as it's one of the hardest stones available

Limestone and marble are soft stones which would be better but not as popular as

lots of gear needed to shape them so it will be costly for you
    Are you thinking of starting a new business selling headstones to the public?

China.... Or wicklow... The wicklow stuff is slightly dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

yes I was thinking buying the blank headstones and then carving out the letters with my machine.

Since I posted this I've been asking on the CNC forums about it an apparently granite is a hard one to machine, so I was kinda disheartened by that.

I know that there is a version of my machine sold specifically to work with softer stones.

I think I could sell them quite a bit cheaper than they are currently and still make a profit. So Joe public wins and so do I.

yes I was thinking buying the blank headstones and then carving out the letters with my machine.

Since I posted this I've been asking on the CNC forums about it an apparently granite is a hard one to machine, so I was kinda disheartened by that.

I know that there is a version of my machine sold specifically to work with softer stones.

I think I could sell them quite a bit cheaper than they are currently and still make a profit. So Joe public wins and so do I.

Not necessarily... If you botch a job up Joe public will be in floods of tears. Also you'll need some experience with foundations and you'll have to do the kerbing too.

• Advertisement

no. I'm not getting involved in that. If my machine is capable of  the work, I'Il just make the headstones. 
    I don't see any reason people cannot source some stones and get someone to set the headstone themselves.

I know I would figure it out, if I was going to save a grand in the process.

I'll just make it clear from the outset that this is the case.

All I'm doing is what they cannot do, carve the words in the headstone. Everything else they can sort out themselves.

Not necessarily... If you botch a job up Joe public will be in floods of tears. Also you'll need some experience with foundations and you'll have to do the kerbing too.

Not to mention all the health and safety stuff u need and insurance before council will let you even inside the gate

China.... Or wicklow... The wicklow stuff is slightly dearer

Wicklow granite I never dealt with it but have got prices and it was always dearer than g603 grey

Where are you based in Ireland?
    Are there many other monumental suppliers near
    I can give you names of wholesalers if you need them if you want to buy in the stone
    Some of them will also make the headstone specially for you if you can't make it yourself
    All you do is letter it then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

no. I'm not getting involved in that. If my machine is capable of  the work, I'Il just make the headstones. 
    I don't see any reason people cannot source some stones and get someone to set the headstone themselves.

All I'm doing is what they cannot do, carve the words in the headstone. Everything else they can sort out themselves.

Tell me why I would come to you at a stressful time knowing I would then have to organise someone else to prep the rest of the grave and then pick up and fit a headstone supplied by you.

I don't think your business model works.

What might be better would be customs stone signs for houses and businesses etc. That I would come to you for.

• Advertisement

realrebel wrote: »
    Wicklow granite I never dealt with it but have got prices and it was always dearer than g603 grey

it has more quartz then chinese i believe. Looks well,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Having organised a headstone for my son's grave in the past and adding his father's name recently I can assure you that I was grateful for a complete service. I wouldn't have wanted to mess about with more than one trades person. The service they provide is exceptional and the range of stones and styles is comprehensive. I don't think you could compete.

i think you should avoid grieving families at all costs.

i think you should avoid grieving families at all costs.

That will never work people won't want to be runninhbaround to a few different people to try and get the job done
    Either go into properly or do what ash said about house names etc
    It would be easier and less stressful

That may well be, I guess ill have to suck it and see.

That may well be, I guess ill have to suck it and see.

Where are you based?
    Are u in one of the bigger cities

Advertisement