Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a combi boiler

Options
  • 16-07-2017 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I am looking into replacing my old D rated Ideal boiler with a combi-boiler.

I have read through a few posts here to get me started, but there appears to be a lot of conflicting opinions...

Do I absolutely need to know my water pressure - and if yes, how can I find out? (seems there are plenty of fixes if it's not good enough?)
    Do I need to get my water tested for hardness?
    Can you connect to the mains, or is this still illegal?

Would appreciate help with all these questions, but also am looking for recommendations on what boiler to get - a friend recommended wolf or viessman - and am also looking for recommendation of a good and reliable installer. I am based in Dublin 12.

I'm in a typical ex council 2 bedroom house. The shower is a power shower, and I'd be happy to leave as is (in case the boiler ever fails to work...)

Many thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

cltt97 wrote: »
    I am looking into replacing my old D rated Ideal boiler with a combi-boiler.

A.
    Do I absolutely need to know my water pressure - and if yes, how can I find out? (seems there are plenty of fixes if it's not good enough?)
    B.
    Do I need to get my water tested for hardness?
    C.
    Can you connect to the mains, or is this still illegal?

Many thanks for any advice!

A.
    Yes, insufficient water pressure and flow rate can impede the correct operation of the appliance when heating the water.
    This is why a tank and pump set up is favoured to provide consistent pressure and flow.
    B.
    Always advisable if in doubt, especially if you already have scaling issues in kettles etc.
    C.
    Technically in Dublin it is still illegal under water bylaws** to connect anything other than the cold kitchen sink and water tank to an incoming mains supply. Hence the use of a tank and pump set up.
    **A bylaw that is ignored daily by many when plumbing in combi boilers, washing machines, dishwashers, mains showers etc etc

Advertisement