Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dip in decking collecting water, drill or fill?

• 16-07-2017 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi, I powered hosed our decking before treating it. I must have knocked out a chip (or filler) and now have a shallow drop collecting water. It's in the shade so won't quickly evaporate. I'm worried if I leave it collecting water that it'll rot. Should I drill a hole through it to let the water drain or get polyfiller to recreate the ridge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Any filler is going to stick out a mile and probably won't last. Drill a hole as a temporary solution. The best option is to let in a piece of wood of the same species. Just a mallet and chisel job and glue in a piece with waterproof glue. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 David delaney

Change the board

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Changing the board would make it completely different due to age appearance? If you want to revarnish the whole thing again then replace the board this is the only long term solution. Else chip another replacement board (spare one if you have it) and use wood glue to put the little chip in but this would be a pain to do and get right. You can google stuff on

Short term drill a hole with your smallest countersink drill bit which would nearly be invisible to the eye as suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Cool, thanks guys!

Advertisement