Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certificate of Discharge of NPPR - how hard is it to get?

Options
  • 16-07-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

So, we went sale agreed on a house at the start of April. Paid and signed the contacts at the end of April. Only received the contacts back (signed) from the vendor (Permanent TSB) at the end of May.

We thought "Oh brilliant! Now we're finally getting the keys of the house". Wrong. We're waiting for the vendor's solicitors to receive a Certificate of Discharge of NPPR.

What is this and how long does it take to get one?

Ellie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Once they have all the relevant paperwork, you can get the cert scanned back to you same day if you push (I was able to do this for Wicklow CoCo) the problem or delay can be from getting a utility bill from 7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Qwer

EllieVH wrote: »
    So, we went sale agreed on a house at the start of April. Paid and signed the contacts at the end of April. Only received the contacts back (signed) from the vendor (Permanent TSB) at the end of May.

We thought "Oh brilliant! Now we're finally getting the keys of the house". Wrong. We're waiting for the vendor's solicitors to receive a Certificate of Discharge of NPPR.,

What is this and how long does it take to get one?

Ellie
    Its a certificate to say, that it was a primary residence and not liable for second home tax from 2009-2013. Depending on council require household bills or sworn avidivat as evidence, how long it takes depends on the Council, ours took two weeks (we were not under time pressure) but i know of friends were it was rushed through on request from property owner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Ours took a few weeks from DLRCoCo but they were very helpful when it was urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Dublin City Council took me about 2-3 weeks, said they were busy as a lot of buy to sells being sold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 EllieVH

The owner is the bank after the house got repossessed. Is that what might be delaying the issuing of the cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

How does one go about this with Dublin City Council? The application for exemption isn't on their website, but I can find it for other councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

EllieVH wrote: »
    The owner is the bank after the house got repossessed. Is that what might be delaying the issuing of the cert?

I gave it a quick Google (so blame them, not me) but it was answered on askaboutmoney a few years ago, it looks like the bank has to stump up the money for it, otherwise, the house can't be sold. Now, I'm not sure what your experience has been so far, have they been on the ball with regard to accepting the offer and processing the legals, but this could determine roughly how long you are waiting.

I'm in waterford.... And no they haven't been the most proactive to close up this matter but everything else is done. That's the only thing that's missing before we get the keys.

Do ye know how much they need to pay for that cert?

Thanks
    E.

Also, where do we stand in terms of whose house it is? If it's my house, can I change the lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

hairyslug wrote: »
    Once they have all the relevant paperwork, you can get the cert scanned back to you same day if you push (I was able to do this for Wicklow CoCo) the problem or delay can be from getting a utility bill from 7 years ago.

That can actually be quite difficult. I was selling a place recently and it was partially let out during those year. It took me over a month to get all the required docs and I was even lucky at that as I scraped by trying to get docs for 09/10. Of the vendor is well organised and has everything they require you can get it done within 15mins. But if they don't. That's where the hassle comes from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Qwer

Fol20 wrote: »
    That can actually be quite difficult. I was selling a place recently and it was partially let out during those year. It took me over a month to get all the required docs and I was even lucky at that as I scraped by trying to get docs for 09/10. Of the vendor is well organised and has everything they require you can get it done within 15mins. But if they don't. That's where the hassle comes from

If you don't have the documents/bills they accept a signed affidavit,

Advertisement