Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to buy an underground parking space without an associated apartment?

Options
  • 16-07-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

If you buy an apartment in a building with underground parking but with no parking space associated to that specific appeasement, is there any chance if buying one at a later stage?

Talking to friends who are involved in the management company of their block and to an EA I thought it wasn't possible as I was told parking spaces come as an extra service associated with the apartment but with no separate deeds or title of ownership for it which can be transferred separately.

But I can see Daft has a section for selling parking spaces here, for example with this ad listing one in a residential development.

Does anyone know how these things work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It depends on each development.
    Where i'm living all the parking spaces were sold by the original developer to the buyers of the apartments. There is only 16 spaces to 32 apartments. All the parking spaces have separate deeds.
    Now the management company wont agree to the sale of an apartment if the owner tries to sell the apartment without the space.They can sell it to the owner of another apartment as well.
    Its hilarious the number of owners that tried to keep the parking space (city centre) and sell the apartment so they would have a space in a secured carpark with no maintenance fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thanks. And yes definitely makes sense to me to enforce a rule keeping them within the ownership of apartments owners.

So in your case you would have to know other owners so that you are informed if someone else is willing to sell. Does it typically happen regularly or is it very rare?

(the reason I am asking is that I am considering buying a place which has no parking space assigned, which is not a problem for now but it would be good to have the option to acquire on later)

Advertisement