Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV has only 1 year warranty...Does EU law cover further?

Options
  • 16-07-2017 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a fairly expensive TV (Samsung KS7000). It only came with a 1 year warranty from SoundStore. I've heard of a common problem with these TV's where the back panel comes away as the glue heats up over time. I don't use this TV a lot so I'm afraid it will eventually happen outside my 1 year warranty.

My question is, will I be covered under EU consumer electronics law further than 1 year, if a manufacturer defect like this was to render the TV broken?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks - Eric

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

eric90000 wrote: »
    My question is, will I be covered under EU consumer electronics law further than 1 year, if a manufacturer defect like this was to render the TV broken?

Yes. Your consumer rights are much longer than your manufacturer warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If bought in Ireland it has nothing to do with whatever EU consumer law that a lot of people seem to have heard about. The Irish Sale of Goods act is your man. An undamaged product must last a reasonable amount of time - this is purposely vague as there are many factors to what makes up "reasonable" but I'd be expecting at least 5-6 years from a €1000+ telly like a KS7000

Warranties are little more than marketing gimmicks in Ireland/UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Scoundrel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i think to the uninformed consumer a warranty can make it seem like oh, the year is up there's nothing i can do.

but they are on top of your consumer rights; and can never supercede them. so if your TV goes faulty 2 and 3 years down the line you can still make a claim.

sometimes the warranty can be handy, because it allows you the choice to go to the manufacturer or the retailer; which ever suits you better. Some manufacturers like apple can be good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

theteal wrote: »
    If bought in Ireland it has nothing to do with whatever EU consumer law that a lot of people seem to have heard about. The Irish Sale of Goods act is your man. An undamaged product must last a reasonable amount of time - this is purposely vague as there are many factors to what makes up "reasonable" but I'd be expecting at least 5-6 years from a €1000+ telly like a KS7000

Warranties are little more than marketing gimmicks in Ireland/UK

Well, no EU law also applies and as a consumer, you can use whatever law suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Depends - not all EU directives are enacted in Ireland. In fact, some specific EU Consumer legislation was not enacted in Ireland as our laws are deemed stronger.

OP - a warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, and cannot negate them. You have strong protection under Irish law and can expect a product to last a "reasonable lifetime" assuming no excessive wear & tear or damage. The lifetime depends on the product in question, but for a high end TV, I'd be expecting at least about 5 years.

Advertisement