Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will having son as named driver for 4 years stand to him on going solo?

Options
  • 16-07-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how the Insurance industry recognise a lad on his parents policy when he ready to take out his own policy. He be 25 next Jan and we gonna give film our 2005 car to be his own.

He will be insuring same... so will Insurers vpgive him credit for being covered for last 4 years???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Will the policy holder still be using the NCB for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Will the policy holder still be using the NCB for themselves?

Yes ... I would expect that we will continue as normal and keep our NCB

He will be starting our at 25 ... but with 4 years driving experience now under his belt. Whilst I expect his policy will be expensive.. just wondering would he get a discount for being a named driver??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Masala wrote: »
    Yes ... I would expect that we will continue as normal and keep our NCB

He will be starting our at 25 ... but with 4 years driving experience now under his belt. Whilst I expect his policy will be expensive.. just wondering would he get a discount for being a named driver??

To the best of my knowledge No but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Most companies will give him some benefit for having 4 years named driving experience though not all of them will. Liberty is normally good for young drivers but I'm not sure what their cut off point is for the age of the car. Patrona give a good discount for named driving experience so once he hits 25 they might be good for him.

It just has to be constant experience. If there is any kind of break, it won't count.

Advertisement