Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under-rated players

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Yer man's rubbish" is one of the most used phrases out of football fans mouths.

They are usually all wrong of course.
    For any player to get to play at the top level in England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, etc then he is good. There is no doubt about it.

It may be all relative, and he may not be as good as Ronaldo or Messi or De Gea or Mbappe, but hes still a class above anyone you've ever played with.

Remember that guy who was by far the best player in your class at school? The guy everyone used to say could have played across the water if he had wanted to? Well he likely couldn't have, even if he had tried.

He might have been a class above you and your mates, and maybe guys from other schools. But I guarantee you there was plenty of other guys in your town and other towns better than him.

Then all those guys weren't good enough to make it to LoI football.

Who are below maybe Championship level, who are below EPL level, who are below Spanish level etc.

So for a has been rock star to call a professional footballer rubbish, I don't take much heed.

Oh, just to add my under-rated player, and a bit rich to post one from Real Madrid, but very few people ever rave about Dani Carvajal.

Everytime I watch him, he is fantastic. Probably on 30k per week too compared to most of his team mates.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Remember that guy who was by far the best player in your class at school? The guy everyone used to say could have played across the water if he had wanted to? Well he likely couldn't have, even if he had tried.

He might have been a class above you and your mates, and maybe guys from other schools. But I guarantee you there was plenty of other guys in your town and other towns better than him.

Played with 2 players who nearly made it, one who was on the books at Cork City and one who played a handful of games 20 years ago. They were so far ahead of the rest - the fellow who played a few games would tell us in training kick arounds that he'd head the ball off the bar, you swing in a cross and he'd do it again and again if the cross was decent. It was a real eye opener as to the difference in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fellaini.

He is seriously under rated by alot of United fans never mind opposition fans.

He can cover a couple of positions, isnt afraid to get stuck in and get ugly when necessary and he has nevee been anything but a complete pro despite being dropped by managers and booed by a few twats.

He is an easy target for abuse from United fans because of the circumstances surrounding his transfer and from opposition fans because he has been a bit loose with the elbows by times but he is an excellent squad player to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Blazer wrote: »
    Reading about Dzeko's amazing season with Roma in Italy and then you read that tosser from Oasis's comments made me realise how many people under-rated him as a player. I knew he was a decent striker but not genuinely that good.
    Any other players out there seriously underrated.

http://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/incredible-statistics-sum-edin-dzekos-amazing-roma-resurgence/

I loved Dzeko at city but on a bad day he was atrocious, his touch could go further than i can kick a ball, in his last season he seemed to have a lot of these games. I always felt we were robbed on the price and that if anyone got him playing they were laughing which roma have done. I think he would have been superb at Arsenal at the time.

He goes down as a city legend for me.

On topic, Gareth Barry prob the most underrated player of last while in my eyes. He was top class for me, city sold him two seasons too early and in my opinion still havent replaced him properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Oh, just to add my under-rated player, and a bit rich to post one from Real Madrid, but very few people ever rave about Dani Carvajal.

Everytime I watch him, he is fantastic. Probably on 30k per week too compared to most of his team mates.

Forgot about him, definitely underated. Alves always gets the nod for RB but Carvajal is always up there as well. Reminds of unappreciated Makele was at Madrid by the fans but the attacking players in the side adored him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

"Yer man's rubbish" is one of the most used phrases out of football fans mouths.

For any player to get to play at the top level in England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, etc then he is good. There is no doubt about it.

It may be all relative, and he may not be as good as Ronaldo or Messi or De Gea or Mbappe, but hes still a class above anyone you've ever played with.

Who are below maybe Championship level, who are below EPL level, who are below Spanish level etc.

So for a has been rock star to call a professional footballer rubbish, I don't take much heed.

Tbf, I've actually played against a guy who's playing in the PL and an Irish international, and I thought he wasn't that good then. There were much better players at the LOI club he was bought from and through the underage levels.

As for underrated, 10 years ago when United were winning a lot, Park and Fletcher were seriously underrated. Not flashy or anything, but did their job really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

When people say someone is rubbish in relation to any top level sportsperson they mean it at the highest level rather than in general.

Anyone who gets to play at the top level in any sport is obviously a really top class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Dani Parejo, been outstanding for Valencia for the past 5 or 6 years and arguably been the best player in La Liga outside of the 3 big clubs.
    Technically and vision wise he's close to the caliber of players like Kroos and Iniesta and is excellent from a dead ball.
    Can be a bit lazy or at least appear to be in games but definitely a player i can't believe isn't spoken about when all the transfer rumours to big clubs come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Totally agree, best right back in the world bar none for me. I couldn't believe my ears a few windows back when i heard Madrid went for Danilo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

titan18 wrote: »

As for underrated, 10 years ago when United were winning a lot, Park and Fletcher were seriously underrated. Not flashy or anything, but did their job really well.

I've lost count of the amount of times United fans have told me Park was underrated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Carvalho. Prob the best man marker defender of our generation. Rarely gets mentioned with the greats.

Tadic. Think he's easily good enough for top 4 team.

Carrick. Best midfielder for England for a long time but got feck all caps compared to other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Suso. Insane Liverpool let him go and none of the fans rated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Carvalho. Prob the best man marker defender of our generation. Rarely gets mentioned with the greats.

Tadic. Think he's easily good enough for top 4 team.

Carrick. Best midfielder for England for a long time but got feck all caps compared to other people.

totally agree with carvalho, amazing defender, rarely caught out of position and rarely had to make last ditch eye catching sliding tackles, probably why hes underrated by many.

Jonathan Woodgate for me, absolutely brilliant for a few seasons with leeds and Newcastle, got move to Madrid, if it wasn't for horrible injury record I think hed be remembered as one of the best, people dont remember how class he was

Totally agree, best right back in the world bar none for me. I couldn't believe my ears a few windows back when i heard Madrid went for Danilo.

And yet Madrid are trying to offload Danilo this summer.

Sometimes you can't see what's in front of you.

Although to be fair, danilo only ended up being Carvajals backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I don't think Woodgate is underrated..just very unlucky with injuries. I think everyone knew he was a top class defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rossie1977 wrote: »

I think everyone knew he had the talent from the early days in the academy but he didn't have as much as Coutinho and didn't have the physical attributes to buy him time to develop.

Not to descend to much into clichés about how fast the English game is, I do think it's an easier league for a play like him in Italy.

Looking forward to seeing how he gets on over the next few years but with Milan's money you'd wonder will they replace him and he's unrooted again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

To take the thread slightly off-topic, Mick McCarthy for his time managing Ireland.

The Keane situation aside, he did a fantastic job with a lot of very average players.

Treated like absolute dirt at the end by the FAI. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's the birthday of Sergio Busquets. This topic has cropped up at the right time. He's the heartbeat of Barcelona, has played in the iconic "Guardiola" position in, arguably, the best team ever. A Catalan lad that never left home that's conquered all before him. One of the greats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's the birthday of Sergio Busquets. This topic has cropped up at the right time. He's the heartbeat of Barcelona, has played in the iconic "Guardiola" position in, arguably, the best team ever. A Catalan lad that never left home that's conquered all before him. One of the greats.

He's not underrated.Most people consider him one of the best players in his position in the world and a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

You must have misread the thread title. It's underrated players, not overrated ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Hierro_4 wrote:
    You must have misread the thread title. It's underrated players, not overrated ones.

I wouldnt say over rated, definitely not under rated, same as your namesake.

Arbeloa for me was severely under rated, saw him live in Anfield and the Bernabeau ran his flank at ease both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He's not underrated.Most people consider him one of the best players in his position in the world and a great player.

Not enough people do, as evidenced by the comment below yours. This guy is up there with Xavi and Iniesta, he's, imo, the best player to ever play his position.

Hierro_4 wrote: »

:confused:

Busquets over-rated?

C'mon that's nonsense

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    :confused:

Busquets over-rated?

C'mon that's nonsense

See the last sentence of the post above yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    See the last sentence of the post above yours.

Yeah but that's just him. Most agree he's world class in his role not the best ever which is a fair assessment imo

Yeah but that's just him. Most agree he's world class in his role not the best ever which is a fair assessment imo

Nah Ive heard a few say he's the best DM ever.

He was poor in the season just gone. Not so easy when you don't have a peak Iniesta and/or Xavi keeping the ball in front of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Is the best defensive midfielder for the last few seasons underrated :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Not enough people do, as evidenced by the comment below yours. This guy is up there with Xavi and Iniesta, he's, imo, the best player to ever play his position.

Hes not up there with them lets be fair.
    What position do you consider him using the basic positions :P
    I'd describe him a dm but I dont consider him the best in that role for me that was Keane/Maka/Dunga :o, Id even have Pep ahead of him now that I sit here and think of it so no I dont think hes the best ever at his position. Best playing currently most likely of the top of my head.
    Right now Cristiano/Messi are the only players for me in conversation for best player in there position and thats because neither are up against Pele or Maradonna :pac:

• Advertisement

Maraoune Fellaini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rossie1977 wrote: »

? Plenty of fans rated him very highly and thought it was a bad idea to sell rather than loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well last season Jonny Evans was superb for West Brom and he didn't even make the PFA team of the year so imo even his peers underrated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I think Sagna is quite an underrated player. Was excellent at Arsenal and very reliable with City from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Zebra3 wrote: »
    To take the thread slightly off-topic, Mick McCarthy for his time managing Ireland.

The Keane situation aside, he did a fantastic job with a lot of very average players.

Treated like absolute dirt at the end by the FAI. :rolleyes:
    They weren't average players. With Keane we could've went to the semis at least. The fai lacked ambition with a fantastic squad . McCarthy did well but I fear we'll never again have such potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

crouchy,often ridiculed,he sure could play

• Advertisement

They weren't average players. With Keane we could've went to the semis at least. The fai lacked ambition with a fantastic squad . McCarthy did well but I fear we'll never again have such potential

Mccarthy had us playing better than charlton given the players available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not sure who underrated Carvajal. He is rated as best RB in the last 2-3 season almost unanimously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Mccarthy had us playing better than charlton given the players available.

And McCarthy nurtured that team, gave many players a chance, and was well rewarded by the efforts. Probably our best chance at a World Cup that any of us will ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm surprised by people having such a go at Kyle Walker.

The focus seems to be on his fee, which considering he's English, EPL to EPL transfer between one club known for getting a good deal and one of the richest in the world, both in the CL, it's not so surprising.

As a player, he's always impressed me. I remember a few years back he had spells on loan at QPR in the Champ and then Villa in the Prem and impressed in both. He'd done well at QPR and I watched his first game for Villa where he played a stormer. Most times I've seen him for Spurs, he's been solid. He makes mistakes but overall he does a good job.

The fee is irrelevant giving the above factors, not to mention the general silliness of transfer fees these days. I don't think he's one of the best right-backs in the world or anything like that but some of the rhetoric about him since the transfer has been over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Jonathan Walters - never have I seen him let Ireland down , and Stoke too - does not have Messi style ability - but makes the most of what he has - has been instrumental to the relative success of both Stoke and Ireland. Legend.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised by people having such a go at Kyle Walker.

The focus seems to be on his fee, which considering he's English, EPL to EPL transfer between one club known for getting a good deal and one of the richest in the world, both in the CL, it's not so surprising.

As a player, he's always impressed me. I remember a few years back he had spells on loan at QPR in the Champ and then Villa in the Prem and impressed in both. He'd done well at QPR and I watched his first game for Villa where he played a stormer. Most times I've seen him for Spurs, he's been solid. He makes mistakes but overall he does a good job.

The fee is irrelevant giving the above factors, not to mention the general silliness of transfer fees these days. I don't think he's one of the best right-backs in the world or anything like that but some of the rhetoric about him since the transfer has been over the top.

Transfer thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

He wasn't underated at the time but Owen Hargreaves was unreal in 07 /08 season and I don't think many people remember him . He kept Giggs, Flecther and Park out of the champions league final.

It was essentially his last game as a fully fit player

Tony Dorigo oozed class. Wasn't the shouty type like Stuart Pearce, and should really have won far more caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Always liked the look of Kelechi Iheanacho of City, he seemed to do very well with the few chances he has got over the last few years but difficult to break into the first team when you're competing against the likes of Aguero, Nolito, Sane, Silva, Dzeko etc. Really good finisher and think he could do very well with a top-half table team outside the top 4. Could never understand more clubs not coming after him, maybe they have but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Steven Davis at Southampton.

He gets very little recognition as he is not a flashy player that is going to light up highlight reels, but plays almost every minute of every game and has been a key part of their Premier League rise.

Excellent and extremely underrated footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Cake Man wrote: »
    Always liked the look of Kelechi Iheanacho of City, he seemed to do very well with the few chances he has got over the last few years but difficult to break into the first team when you're competing against the likes of Aguero, Nolito, Sane, Silva, Dzeko etc. Really good finisher and think he could do very well with a top-half table team outside the top 4. Could never understand more clubs not coming after him, maybe they have but not sure.

He is going to be a super star....but my mates say i over rate him so im not sure he counts....i guess calling him the next Pele never helped my case!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ray Parlour was extremely underrated. Limited enough but absolutely vital part of a very successful Arsenal team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

keano_afc wrote: »
    Ray Parlour was extremely underrated. Limited enough but absolutely vital part of a very successful Arsenal team.

It's not that he was under-rated, its just his wife got half of the rating he had earned in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

razorblunt wrote: »
    It's not that he was under-rated, its just his wife got half of the rating he had earned in his career.

Nearly half a million a year. Poor b*stard was taken to the cleaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Blazer wrote: »
    Reading about Dzeko's amazing season with Roma in Italy and then you read that tosser from Oasis's comments made me realise how many people under-rated him as a player. I knew he was a decent striker but not genuinely that good.
    Any other players out there seriously underrated.

http://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/incredible-statistics-sum-edin-dzekos-amazing-roma-resurgence/

I used to rejoice every time city bought a striker when Dzeko was there as it pushed him down the pecking order. He was class for them and still is by all accounts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement