Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of an extension in South Dublin ?

Options
  • 16-07-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a place in South Dublin with a nice open plan kitchen/dining room but anything decent seems to be going for way over asking so I'm wondering if I would be better off buying an older house and having an extension built. So, I'd like to know:
    1. Roughly what should it cost per square foot to add a modern kitchen extending out into the back garden in a typical terraced or semi-d ?
    2. How do you go about doing this, do you get an architect and he will design it and then get a builder to build it for you. Or does the architect just design it and then you have to find a builder yourself to actually do the work ?
    3. Is it difficult to find builders/architects to do this type of job at the moment or is there plenty of availability ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

BryanF wrote: »

Thanks for your reply, but number 2 was an 'either or', Do I need to
    a) Just find an architect (and he then finds the builder) OR
    b) I find an architect and then I also have to go and find a builder
    ?
    Similarly 'Yes' as an answer to 3 is a bit ambiguous, do you mean yes they are difficult to find or yes there is plenty of availability ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Usjes wrote: »
    a) Just find an architect (and he then finds the builder) OR b) I find an architect and then I also have to go and find a builder?

A bit of both. Architects will have builders that do work from them on an ongoing basis, but, its always good if the client has a few suggested/recommended builders to add to the mix/tender to.
    Similarly 'Yes' as an answer to 3 is a bit ambiguous, do you mean yes they are difficult to find....

Both are difficult to find!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks for your reply, but number 2 was an 'either or', Do I need to
    a) Just find an architect (and he then finds the builder) OR
    b) I find an architect and then I also have to go and find a builder
    ?
    Similarly 'Yes' as an answer to 3 is a bit ambiguous, do you mean yes they are difficult to find or yes there is plenty of availability ??
    A get an arch
    B s/he MAY recommend builder but it's up to you
    3. As an arch tech, I'm busy, I can now be selective about who and what I work on. Architects are now busy, as are builders. Straight forward projects & clients will get more attention/ keener pricing
    Extensions can swallow more time/labour/grunting/design/visits/ head scratching/compromises than say a new build..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Here is my thread on an extension done late last year in Sth Dub which may be of help to you
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057679411

• Advertisement
Advertisement