Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Episode 2 "Stormborn" - "Book readers"

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

How come Sam didn't give Jorah some milk of the poppy before doing the cutting? It is well established in the show as an effective pain killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

How come Sam didn't give Jorah some milk of the poppy before doing the cutting? It is well established in the show as an effective pain killer.

Isn't that what he gave him and took a swig of himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In this world rum>smack as an analgesic.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

....... wrote: »
    Nah it was a bottle of rum.

Sam probably wouldnt have access to milk of the poppy, he isnt a maester yet.

Thought him taking the swig himself was a great touch.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

They get rid of the spuds. But the sausage stays. Unless Ramsay Bolton performed the procedure.

Don't think so. The phrase they used before was "root and stem".
    I'd take that to mean they're left like a Ken doll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Could we not save ourselves the discussion anyway? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Could we not save ourselves the discussion anyway? :)

No, its the producers fault for not showing his ding a ling, or lack thereof.

• Advertisement

Wow I've heard of actors making sacrifices for parts but actually sacrificing their parts...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There's a brilliant raised eyebrow when Joer asks him if he's ever done this before too

s15r330 wrote: »
    Don't think so. The phrase they used before was "root and stem".

I remember Varys using that (wince-making, somehow worse than cock & balls or whatever) phrase about himself but not anyone specifically saying it about the unsullied. (non-book-reader btw)

Ok lads, unfollowing the thread now. If ye stop talking about this conjecture filled cock and balls discussion, let me know :D

If we are reading into a joke by Bronn to determine if an unsullied can have penetrative sex or not, the conversation needs to be rolled back a bit.

That at least is a good topic; although im not sure what relevance that has, as she has loads of 'manned' men by her side too. Balls or not, they all follow her. Maybe its just symptimatic of castration not being common practice in Westeros, so all 3 men left Westeros as they felt excluded/different in varying ways.

Like how many posts in this thread are arguing about whether grey worm can 'stick' misandei or not?

First off, its not the point; they had sex. Thats what counts; the emotional and now physical bond between them. Its not like Misandei is gonna run to Dany and say it didnt count, he didnt put it in.

Second off, we cant prove or disprove it either way - either by show or by book.

Third off, no problem talking about unmanned men, but lets bring something a little more substantial than a joke Bronn made to the discussion. You cant read literally into the joke. You can take the general meaning of it, but are you going to read every joke in the show as literal?

Agh cant believe you got me to discuss the point.

Well played sir.

• Advertisement

Well they were castrated in the interests of obedience, with the implication for me was a belief (rightly or wrongly) that a lack of testosterone before puberty reduces emotional outbursts and rebellion. If that is the case, it would be plausable that the whole kit and kaboodle was removed, but, as i have said, we dont know, cant find out. And as you have said, its only mildly amusing, so.......there you go.

Thanks for the discussion on this point.

This thread is just conjuring up this image for me...

N7Gkghb.gif

The fact that they had sexual/intimate contact and Greyworm bared his imperfections to Melissandei, further cementing the love between them, was the point of the scene.

I haven't been a fan of their screen-time together throughout the show, but found that scene to have some level of emotional payoff.

No doubt, speculation
    One of them, likely Greyworm, is not long for this world

a) Cannot specifically remember but i dont know if Grey Worm is described as small in the books. It might just be they liked the actor and made the sacrifice re his height.
    b) If all you do all day is soldier and train, id imagine it helps to hide the auld fat deposits.
    c) If all you do all day is soldier and train in the sun, it helps to get you a tan
    d) I dont see many grey haired unsullied, so i dont think osteoperosis would be much of an issue, occuring most frequently the older you get.
    e) Probably best not to take Grey Worm as the prototype unsullied from a physical POV - he is the only one we have really seen unmasked and out of formation, but its not to say they are all the same (bar being all the same in terms of lacing cock and/or balls.

Unsullied strength doesnt actually lie in their muscles, imo, it lies in their obedience and dedication to following orders.

I read the producers say that any time you notice something that isnt consistent with the real world like that, a wizard did it.

Ah id imagine if they got a bone broke in battle, they probably werent long for this world and tended not to see out the battle. Kind of like unsullied natural selection.

• Advertisement

Also the unsullied are spearmen; their job is to poke the enemy from behind a shield wall. They shouldnt really be getting into one on one hand to hand combat if they can avoid it.

As well as that, they are a luxury item that are trained to fight and die; purchased exclusively by rich folk from across the narrow sea. Anyone looking to use them for prolonged campaigns must either be desperate (as Dany was before she bonded with them and decided to keep them) or silly.

I really dont think longevity was the goal when the concept of castrating them was on the table.

Added to that, the unsullied reputation as a group seems to act as a larger shield than the ones they carry. We really have to see how they fare in a prolonged series of battles before we can say they are fine warriors despite the castration, or whether they just had good PR agents in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

was a bit disappointed in the first 2 episodes myself, felt like too much filler when theres so few episodes left. Thought the sex scene was pointless but wasnt against seeing Miss ;) I think when either dies we already had the idea the other would be badly affected/upset

And the only "full" man is a dwarf.

Sure he's only a Halfman.
    The fact that they had sexual/intimate contact and Greyworm bared his imperfections to Melissandei

Now that'd be a sex scene with watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Pter wrote: »
    itAdded to that, the unsullied reputation as a group seems to act as a larger shield than the ones they carry. We really have to see how they fare in a prolonged series of battles before we can say they are fine warriors despite the castration, or whether they just had good PR agents in the past.

You may be onto sometime there, they seemed to struggle badly in disorganised street combat against the Sons of the Harpy (lightly armed amateurs).

It will be Interesting to see how they fare against well armed and armoured Westorosi troops.

I actually spluttered my tea over the keyboard at this!

Ah, I don't think it merited that now but I was proud of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Im sorry, I dont understand what the problem with discussing the castrated people in the show is?

I personally find it interesting that 3 "unmanned" men are by Danys side. Whats that about? Theon, Varys, Greyworm. And the only "full" man is a dwarf. She has sent Jorah away and left Daario behind. Is there any significance to any of this?

It's an old westorosi proverb. Too many cocks spoil the broth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Pter wrote: »
    I read the producers say that any time you notice something that isnt consistent with the real world like that, a wizard did it.
    In the case of the Unsullied can we say that they don't show the usual signs of castrati due to the drugs they take?

In the case of the Unsullied can we say that they don't show the usual signs of castrati due to the drugs they take?

Only if the drugs street name is wizard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Varys talked about the wizard cutting everything from him in the books again I thought the unsullied were the same everything removed so as to give them no reason to be concerned with such matters as love, the tv show would be different and a friend once said to me grey worm wouldn't need a worm for love. She was a nutcase though. I find it is filler for the show seeing as missandei is a child in the books so this relationship is filler for the tv show audience, damn good filler all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I loved that episode. It was so good to FINALLY see Nymeria and her pack. I may have squealed a little when I saw her. I hope Arya does go back home. She may be needed to get rid of Littlefinger.

I actually thought Grey Worm and Missandei's scene was quite lovely.

Poor Yara and Ellaria are in for a world of pain. Theon pretty much did what I expected. I've no idea what he might do next. He could return and redeem himself or maybe he'll team up with Dickon Tarly and they'll be known throughout the seven kingdoms as Dickon and Dickoff.

I had to watch the grey scale removal scene through my fingers, grim stuff. I hope Sam's efforts pay off, I love Jorah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Only halfway through the episode so far so I suppose I should reserve judgment but this episode is reaffirming my opinion that the writing has gone to the dogs since the show went ahead. It's still visually excellent but the dialogue sounds very laboured and things either feel like they're being resolved very conveniently or things aren't making sense. Sams suddenly found the cure for greyscale even though the maesters have had this knowledge all along? Don't buy it.

Having now finished the episode I have to backtrack on my earlier comment a little bit and say I'm quite happy with how quickly the show resolved Dorne & the Iron Islands this season, they've been laborious in the books and the show up to this point. Bar Oberyn of course. Euron was a bit more badass this episode and marginally less Jack Sparrow. I don't know whether it's just the writing or Maisie Williams acting but Arya's not intriguing me now she's back in Westeros. She was great up until she left the House of Black & White so I don't think it's he acting. Same problem as before, writers don't seem quite sure with what to do with her. Was happy to see Nymeria again though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

She was certainly fluent in it. But Missandei was a scribe/translator before Dany took her on, so she would probably be more versed in the nuances of the language.
    In the same way that the Biblical Greek for 'young girl' can be translated as 'virgin'.
    Being fluent and being a scholar of an ancient language are a bit different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Tenger wrote: »
    In the same way that the Biblical Greek for 'young girl' can be translated as 'virgin'.
    Being fluent and being a scholar of an ancient language are a bit different.
    Yeah. Exactly. A lot of languages have words that almost require sentences when properly translated into another language. I'm thinking of the German word 'schadenfreude' as an example.

Advertisement