Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Shocked with that news. RIP Matthew Perry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It basically defined the 90s.

It was a cultural phenomenon not really seen before or since. Maybe Simpsons would come close.

I think Thursday evening on Rte had Friends, Dawson's Creek and Ally McBeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,097 ✭✭✭squonk

Very sad news. He was a great actor I always thought. Friends wasn’t really my cup of tea but it was hard not to watch it in the 90s and be was a stand out in that. I really dislike Aaron Sorkin’s shows but I stuck with Studio 60 because of Matthew. He bright something to that show that made it very watchable. I’d have liked to see what he would have done down the line. I’d always thought he would really come into his own later in life playing older characters. Gone too soon.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,521 ✭✭✭brevity

Friends. The X-Files.

Every Monday on RTE2 I think. For years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Saw this illustration posted on insta. Very sad but fitting tribute.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy-TrK0qmqE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Woke up to the news of his death, and been kind of numb since then. I stopped watching Friends around Season 5/ or 6. But I did tune into the finale, as well as the reunion episode. I still had that attachment. This was very upsetting news.

There were shows that just dominated every decade. The 80s had Dallas, Miami Vice, St Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues, and Cheers, just to name a tiny few. (Dallas had 83 million people, in the USA alone, tune into the episode that revealed 'Who Shot Jr?'. It was his Sister-in-Law, for those wondering). Seinfeld started in the late 80s, 1989 specifically, but it really gathered speed in the 90s. Cheers ended in 1993, and there was a genuine feeling that 'sitcoms are dead' when it ended. 93 million people tuned into the finale, in the US alone.

And then Friends started in 1994. And as @orangerhyme said, it exploded. The Simpson's and Friends dominated the 90s. (I mean, 'the Rachel' haircut became a staple of the decade) Even Game of Thrones wouldn't compare to Friends (or The Simpson's, for that matter) in terms of audience. The finale of Game of Thrones got 19.5 million viewers. Friends got more than that on average, per episode- estimates are between 22 to 25 million. (52 million watched the finale of Friends, where Matthew Perry had the last line. 16 million tune in to watch the reruns, every day.) I think Friends, like The Simpson's, was one of the last 'appointment' viewing shows. You'd sit down to watch it at the exact time it was one, make time in your schedule. And you'd only set the VCR to record it if you HAD to be somewhere else (wedding, funeral, family get together, school tomorrow). And it killed other shows- Murder She Wrote was one of its victims. It was a behemoth. Microsoft even brought in Jennifer Aniston and Perry to help showcase Windows 95. (Perry has admitted he never watched the final video.) This was sent to libraries to help them learn the new ins and outs of Win 95.

Perry had a very sad, troubled life. And you just hoped things would have gone better for him. (By his own admission, he was a full blown alcoholic at 14). But apparently only a few people knew just 'how bad' his addictions were. (The other Friends actors did their best to help cover it up- at any one time he could be on alcohol, Xanax, cocaine, methadone, or vicodin). I think I only truly realised the damage he did to his body when his colon exploded. Apparently he was on anti-depressants, and also medication for COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder) at the time of his death. For all his faults, he didn't blame anyone for his problems, but he did heap praise on the likes of Jennifer Aniston for always checking up on him.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

(Dallas had 83 million people, in the USA alone, tune into the episode that revealed 'Who Shot Jr?'. It was his Sister-in-Law, for those wondering)

Spoiler alert please.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Photobox

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Photobox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,248 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tyler Christopher has died aged 50

A soap actor and former husband of Eva Longoria

Seems like he had his own battles with addiction as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Sad news indeed,he always looked and came across as one of the good ones! Have to say I think I only ever watch a few eps of Friends,was more into Seinfeld at that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He was nine years of age when the Krays were imprisoned for life.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Evan Ellingson has died at age 35 (played Horatio's son in CSI Miami)

Sad. Had a history of substance abuse issues according to an article I read. His girlfriend said he relapsed, after being prescribed painkillers for dental work. He was in a short-lived sitcom called 'Complete Savage' that was exec produced by Mel Gibson a few years back. It lasted one season, and Mel cameo'd in it as a police officer giving driving advice (on a video or dvd) on how to get a learning permit. Lasted one season. It wasn't hilarious, but RTE showed it late at night, like 1am or so. The had a block of short lived shows they'd show around that time.

Sad to see how substance abuse ended a once promising career.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Never watched it but by all accounts he was decent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Magician David Berglas aged 97. First magician to have his own show on British television.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Ronnie Corbett's widow, musical star Anne Hart, dies aged 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Scary to read about all these younger TV personalities passing so prematurely....

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭AJB39

He revealed some time ago that he was terminally ill. Poor man. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Joss Ackland aged 95. Did loads of film and TV. Long Stint in Z Cars. Was the guy in the back of the car in the video for the Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

He had a very distinctive voice and an excellent career, and he certainly had a good innings. RIP.

His South African accent in Lethal Weapon 2 wasn't great, but a hundred times better than Patsy Kensit (my dogs South African accent is also better than Patsy Kensits).

Its mad but I thought I remembered him from narrating Roald Dahl stories, but can't find any evidence, so I reckon I imagined it!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Think he did a lot of voiceovers for ads etc. at one stage, so you heard that voice quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Great performance in HBO's "Citizen X" as a Soviet-era bureaucrat. I can still him describing serial killing as "A decadent Western idea" and so the cops had to hide the information about a loose killer from the populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hans from Mighty Ducks FFS he was epic

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,097 ✭✭✭squonk

“DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!!”…. “It’s just been revoked!” He was great in Lethal Weapon.

• Advertisement

Hunt For The Red October has a great turn, by him

Advertisement