Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

1118119120121122124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

With Nell McCafferty, I always felt like she was disappointed in what Ireland became.

Instead of a supposed 'equality', everything sort of became more divided. I imagine she thought a more matriarchal structure would be 'flawless', and instead, we got, as Natasha Walter writes, a 'new' form of sexism, and much of it maintained and occupied by women against women.

She popped up on Celebrity bainisteor and she 'expected' the young guys in the football team to be sexist and ageist towards her, and then was surprised they weren't. They respected her. Sometimes, it felt like the world changed so much she didn't know where she fit in, or maybe it passed her by, I don't know.

She was very important. Maintaining a strong sense of humor and logic, and often the talking point of a show or an article, be it for being insightful, or making a great, funny soundbite. I always remember a moment from Questions and Answers, a show that was important and still missed. They were discussing things like appearance, and how public representatives and politicians should be presentable in public events. She was on the panel, and someone on the panel said 'Ah, but aren't you good looking yourself', and she said 'I'm not good looking. Without this makeup, I'd look like sh!te'. That clip ran for a week.

When she appeared on the Late Late Show tribute to Gay Byrne in 2019, she clearly wasn't well. It was tough to see. She'd had a series of strokes (she revealed this herself, afterwards), and seemed to be combative. Possibly because she wasn't asked about Gay, despite her numerous appearances on the Late Late. She also said, after the show, 'Ryan' didn't bring her onto the Late LAte, as he was afraid of her. A quick search on youtube shows she was on the show, during Tubridy's time. She may very well have been suffering memory issues due to the strokes.

The contraceptive train gets brought up quite a bit, it was even on the repeat of Reeling in the years, that just coincidentally aired today on the day of her passing.. Interestingly enough, Nell revealed the contraceptive 'pills' they brought on the train were aspirin's disguised in the packaging for contraceptive pills. When they got to Northern Ireland, they went into a chemist and asked for the pill. They responded 'sure thing, can I see your prescription?'. They were unaware a prescription was needed. So disguised aspirin's in the contraceptive pill box.

I'd agree with her, I'd disagree with her, but I wanted to hear her opinion. She was unique, in that my parents liked her (and so many people the media 'told' us to like, my parents most definitely didn't). She was around in a time where 'discussion' was ever present on tv and radio, no matter if folks agreed or disagreed. The media landscape was far more rich and diverse. Nowadays, everyone's afraid to say the wrong thing in case they lose advertising.

We lost Micheal O'Muircheartaigh earlier this year, as well as Tommie Gorman, and now Nell. Folks who documented or influenced a changing Ireland. And Gay Byrne passing five years ago, who advocated for voices like Nell's were heard, even if they were condemning him. (She was not too fond of his interview with Annie Murphy). I wonder what program RTE will air to commemorate her. RIP

Advertisement