Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gary Rhoades best known for masterchef with his spiky moused hair has died at 59.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gary Rhoades best known for masterchef with his spiky moused hair has died at 59.

TV chef Gary Rhodes dies aged 59

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Muiris MacConghail.
    Introduced Irish TV audiences to investigative journalism with the generally excellent 7 Days. Father of Fiach, former Abbey Theatre head honcho.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1126/1095185-muiris-macconghail/

Jonathan Miller - has died at 85 (basically the 1960s satire boom and so much else)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jonathan Miller - has died at 85 (basically the 1960s satire boom and so much else)

A huge brain. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Add Clive James to the list, aged 80

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

silverharp wrote: »
    Add Clive James to the list, aged 80

margarita pracatan will be devasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This quote from Clive James stuck in my memory, think it was from a review of The West Wing... from a man whose sense of humor was exquisite:
    "Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Clive James has died

Ah jasus now that's a bad one :(

A brilliant funny mind - reviews, novels, poetry and of course on TV

His travelogue series "Postcards From...." seemed hugely glamorous at the time. Mixing culture and jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loved Clive James.

He had a great voice and gave us the masterpiece of Japanese TV Endurance.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Clive was a brilliant writer and never better than when writing about Television.

He was always worth watching, often unmissable

I must dig out some of his books again. RIP.

Skid X wrote: »
    Clive was a brilliant writer and never better than when writing about Television.

He was always worth watching, often unmissable

I must dig out some of his books again. RIP.

Unreliable memoirs is one of the best books I have read (and I ain’t a young fella, so I’ve read a lot) and it’s one of the handful that I have literally “laughed out loud” about. I’ve got it out to re-read and can’t wait to open it up later tonight. A truly wonderful book full of anecdotes of his youth. His telling of the dunny man, the cart made up of many joined together little pram carts, green flash; so many hilarious moments

RIP Clive

Plus the most amazing and ground breaking series “The Body in Question”, which culminated in (what I think was) the first post mortem shown on TV. Sounds ghoulish but really wasn’t. A polymath of a man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Muiris MacConghail.
    Introduced Irish TV audiences to investigative journalism with the generally excellent 7 Days. Father of Fiach, former Abbey Theatre head honcho.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1126/1095185-muiris-macconghail/

I think a young Bill O'Herlihy got his big TV break courtesy of Muiris MacConghail's: "Seven Days" current affairs programme on RTÉ tv back in the 1960's. O'Herlihy went on to anchor many big sports event broadcasts at the station shortly thereafter and sadly passed away in 2015 about one year after it exited from RTÉ's soccer coverage after many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Plus the most amazing and ground breaking series “The Body in Question”, which culminated in (what I think was) the first post mortem shown on TV. Sounds ghoulish but really wasn’t. A polymath of a man. RIP

I was listening to a BBC radio drama about the start of the National Theatre in England. Jonathan Miller didn't appear in it, but he was name checked by Laurence Olivier as a director.

A man of many talents.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Shelley Morrison, who played Rosario on the first run of Will & Grace, has died at the age of 83. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Shelley Morrison, who played Rosario on the first run of Will & Grace, has died at the age of 83. RIP.

Her and Karen made that show.They where great together

dubstarr wrote: »
    Her and Karen made that show.They where great together

absolutely. the insults they traded were genius

I thought she was dead already when Rosie was not brought back for the revival reboot :o RIP

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought she was dead already when Rosie was not brought back for the revival reboot :o RIP

No she had just retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Broadway, film & TV actor Ron Liebman has died aged 82.

Best known for playing Roy Cohn in the Broadway production of 'Angels in America', in Norma-Rae with Sally Field and most recently for playing Rachel Green's father in the TV show Friends

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ron Leibman, the actor who played Rachel's dad in Friends, has died aged 82.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Ron Leibman, the actor who played Rachel's dad in Friends, has died aged 82.

You thugged on my catheter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Caroll Spinney, original Big Bird puppeteer dies at 85

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/12/caroll-spinney-sesame-street-death/

René Auberjonois dead at 79

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    René Auberjonois dead at 79

RIP

The absolutely brilliant episode of Frasier he was guest star in was only on the other day. It was much better than standard sitcom stuff, an awful lot of heart and emotion it. He had such a friendly face too.

RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been rewatching Avatar in the last few weeks. He played two different characters just a few episodes apart. Brilliant actor, distinctive voice and a huge loss. RIP

Advertisement