Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

B.J Thomas, famous for singing 'Raindrops keep falling on my head', has died aged 78. He announced he had Stage 4 lung cancer about 9 weeks ago, and had been getting treatment, but unfortunately the disease took him.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/b-j-thomas-raindrops-keep-fallin-on-my-head-singer-has-died-aged-78-2951327

He acted in a few films, such as Jory, in 1973. But it was 'Raindrops...' that he became synonymous with. First featured in the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, it popped up in films and TV for decades afterwards, such as in Spider-man 2, and in The Simpsons, season 4 episode 'Duffless' where Homer gives up drinking after losing his driver's license.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,567 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joe Lara has died aged 58 in a plane crash along with his wife and 5 other people, RIP.

He played Tarzan in Tarzan: The Epic Adventures in the mid 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Robert Hogan passed away on May 27, 2021, at the age of 87

• Registered Users Posts: 60,567 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Romy Walthall has died aged 57 RIP.
    Often going by the stage name Romy Windsor, the actress had a steady run of TV work in the ’80s and ’90s, including a recurring role on the short-lived TV series Man of the People starring James Garner and six episodes on another Bochco-created series, Civil Wars. Walthall also appeared on some of the biggest shows of the era including T.J. Hooker, Moonlighting, Quantum Leap, Jake and the Fatman, Matlock, L.A. Law, Diagnosis Murder and The X-Files.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/romy-walthall-dead-face-off-house-of-usher-1234766891/

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Ah damn she was great in Face Off

• Advertisement

Wahlburgers co star Henry Laun aka Nacho died on Tuesday aged 54

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

He was also Kalinga in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. (A classic movie-legit watch it if you can).

Man, that's 2 thirds of the Mod Squad dead now. (I'll admit, that show was before my time).

I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Much younger than I thought he was. I looked him up on imdb and he wasn't even 40 when he started on The Bill. I would have put him 10 years older than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭shockframe

Thats very sad. I was watching an episode with him in it last night.

There's only really one role worth considering. But what a role!

Chief Inspector Derek Conway must be one of the greatest comedy characters in a serious drama there's ever been.

Any time he was paired with Reg Hollis was entertaining but his double act with Brownlow was magnificent. 'Ah Derek'

He was vital to the show's success after the loss of a few central characters in 1993. The more you watch it the better Conway gets.

RIP

Ernie Lively, actor in many, many productions, has died, aged 74.

He was also the father of actress Blake Lively, and stepfather to Ryan Reynolds.

Ernie-Lively.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

https://deadline.com/2021/06/ernie-lively-dead-blake-lively-father-character-actor-1234772596/

He had a very, very prolific career. Was 'One of those guys', aka a person who's face you'd see a lot, but you wouldn't quite know the name.

He popped up in everything from The Waltons, The Dukes of Hazard, Murder She Wrote, to That 70's Show, and the Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

He also appeared in feature films, such as Shocker, Sleepwalkers, Mulholland Falls, and played the father of Blake Lively's character in The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 1 and 2.

He worked as an acting coach, where his clients included Allyson Hannigan, Scott Grimes, and the late Brittany Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He had a very, very prolific career. Was 'One of those guys', aka a person who's face you'd see a lot, but you wouldn't quite know the name.

His role in Sleepwalkers was down as "Animal Control Officer."

"Those guys" (and gals) in those unheralded roles without which movies would be rather empty.

RIP Ernie.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    His role in Sleepwalkers was down as "Animal Control Officer."

"Those guys" (and gals) in those unheralded roles without which movies would be rather empty.

RIP Ernie.

Aye. Sort of like Mike Starr, another actor who's popped up in loads of things, but while many don't know the name, they know the face.

Those bit players can often steal a scene, or make it more memorable.

I always mixed Ernie up with J. T. Walsh, RIP both

345973.jpg

Ned Beatty has died, aged 83. News coming in just now.

Had a very prolific career, from appearing in the the dark and disturbing Deliverance, all the way up to playing Lotso the toy bear in Toy Story 3.

RIP. A genuinely wonderful actor.

https://www.thewrap.com/ned-beatty-prolific-superman-and-network-character-actor-dies-at-83/

345973.jpg

Ned Beatty has died, aged 83. News coming in just now.

Had a very prolific career, from appearing in the the dark and disturbing Deliverance, all the way up to playing Lotso the toy bear in Toy Story 3.

RIP. A genuinely wonderful actor.

https://www.thewrap.com/ned-beatty-prolific-superman-and-network-character-actor-dies-at-83/

RIP but I thought he was already dead :o I remember him most from the tv show Homicide Life on the Street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Ah man. Ned. I just watched The Toy the other day, with Richard Pryor and himself. He was good in Superman II. A good idiot to contrast Hackman’s ‘genius’.

KungPao wrote: »
    Ah man. Ned. I just watched The Toy the other day, with Richard Pryor and himself. He was good in Superman II. A good idiot to contrast Hackman’s ‘genius’.

Indeed. Someone on twitter made an interesting point - try and remember one bad Ned Beatty performance.
    Just one.

I doubt any of us could or can. He gave his all in his performances. Even the worst script would benefit from his acting.

It also cannot be stated how brave his performance in Deliverance is. Up until that point, a lot of sexual assaults depicted in film (notably involving women) were done in the 'she lead him on' or 'she secretly enjoyed it' or 'if she didn't enjoy it, why not report it?'

Deliverance changed all that. It helped men understand 'the why's' one wouldn't report a sexual assault. The shame... the 'you probably enjoyed it'... the (dare I say it, but it sort of applies) element of 'Toxic masculinity' that an assault carries with it. The physical and emotional toll that such an attack carries with it.
    To play a homosexual character in the late 70s was potential career suicide. To play a male victim of rape was potentially career ending.

Yet Beatty played a very important role in cinema and well, well beyond it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Although they didn't share much screen time, Ned Beatty and Ray McAnally were in the 4th protocol with Pierce Brosnan and Michael Caine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    RIP but I thought he was already dead I remember him most from the tv show Homicide Life on the Street

He was great in that. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to hear this. Will always associate him with Otis as the Superman movies were a happy part of my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Think this was my favourite Conway episode at the time - himself, Brownlow and Meadows and the teams going off for a training weekend.
    The pre opening credits scene has some typical Conway/Brownlow dialog, with dripping sarcasm from Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ned Beatty was a superb actor. Straight, comical, classical, alternative, nay bother to the man.

RIP boss.

John Gabriel has died aged 90

Gone Girl actor Lisa Banes died 10 days after being injured in a hit-and-run accident in New York City, police said.

Banes, 65, who was struck by a scooter or motorcycle while crossing a street on June 4, died on Monday at Mount Sinai Morningside Hospital, a police department spokesperson said.

Banes appeared in numerous television shows and movies, including Gone Girl in 2014 and Cocktail with Tom Cruise in 1988.

On television, she had roles on Nashville, Madam Secretary, Masters Of Sex and NCIS.

JP, Are you related to the man downstairs or something? You report the deaths before the body is cold!! :P

Banes appeared in numerous television shows and movies, including Gone Girl in 2014 and Cocktail with Tom Cruise in 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFI4T1GpQaw

• Advertisement

JP, Are you related to the man downstairs or something? You report the deaths before the body is cold!! :P

I hope not

Advertisement