Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel fee issue

Options
  • 17-07-2017 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have booked a hotel in America for a stay in December. I booked a prepaid non refundable rate in May. According to the website,
    "On booking you will be charged in full for this discounted pre-paid rate. Please be aware that no changes or refunds can be given for cancellation or change of dates for any reason."
    I was duly charged in full for the stay. However, I went on the website again today to check something about my booking and realized that the price for my rate has increased by $100. However, when I click on the booking it reverts to my original rate. I was prepared to dismiss it as an error but realised when I went on the hotel's Tripadvisor that they are charging a $25 per person per night "resort fee" from June- which calculates exactly to the $100 increase for my four night stay. However, there was absolutely no mention of this when booking and I'm fairly annoyed to say the least! I assume- going by Tripadvisor- that they'll charge it at the hotel reception desk.
    The "resort fee" of $25 per person per night apparently gives you $20 dining credit per day in the hotel, which is irrelevant to me as I would have been eating out anyway. Reviewers on Tripadvisor are really annoyed too.
    Anyway, my question is if they can legally do this if there was no mention of this at the time of my booking? As they seemingly decided (they replied to a review on Tripadvisor) to introduce it in June shouldn't this be irrelevant to me as I booked in May? Would appreciate any help- am awaiting a reply from hotel!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

You and they are bound by the terms and conditions that were agreed to and in place at the time you placed your booking.

I suppose this means that you would have to somehow prove that there was no mention of this charge in the T&Cs at that time and that the T&Cs are not loose enough to allow them to add the charge after the fact?

If it were me I would ring them a few times and give them hell. Put them under pressure to waive the fee. It looks like a BS fee to boost their food sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rawwrrrr

Winterlong wrote: »
    You and they are bound by the terms and conditions that were agreed to and in place at the time you placed your booking.

I suppose this means that you would have to somehow prove that there was no mention of this charge in the T&Cs at that time and that the T&Cs are not loose enough to allow them to add the charge after the fact?

If it were me I would ring them a few times and give them hell. Put them under pressure to waive the fee. It looks like a BS fee to boost their food sales.

Thanks so much for your reply. My thoughts exactly. The only thing I really have is the above quote from my confirmation email. Do you know if there's any sort of law that I could quote to them? Awaiting the manager's response but I have a feeling that he won't budge overly easily. Heading with my other half and we really can't afford to be spending $200 on a fee that we didn't account for. Thanks so much for your help!

Just browsing through the terms and conditions on the website now. In relation to pricing it states that:

"5. All prices and details are correct at time of publication and are subject to change without notice."

Does this justify the fee addition, or even make it legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

As this is a hotel in the US, then I doubt anyone here will know the State by State consumer regs (if there are any!)

If you paid by credit card, I would be phoning them as this is the sort of stuff they should be able to help out with, as Mastercard/Visa rules are worldwide.

Having said that, did you book direct with the hotel, or via a booking site? If the latter, then contact them - you may be covered by European regs in regards booking.

Good luck!!

kathleen37 wrote: »
    As this is a hotel in the US, then I doubt anyone here will know the State by State consumer regs (if there are any!)

If you paid by credit card, I would be phoning them as this is the sort of stuff they should be able to help out with, as Mastercard/Visa rules are worldwide.

Having said that, did you book direct with the hotel, or via a booking site? If the latter, then contact them - you may be covered by European regs in regards booking.

Good luck!!

Thanks Kathleen! Unfortunately I booked directly with the hotel :rolleyes: will see what the manager replies. Thanks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

every time ive gone to the states I have paid the hotel fees on booking and resort fees on arrival. I just see it as normal now

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    every time ive gone to the states I have paid the hotel fees on booking and resort fees on arrival. I just see it as normal now

The thing is that I wasn't informed about it when booking and they spontaneously added it on. According to them they brought it in in June, while I booked in May so it should be irrelevant to me. Will see what manager says :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ssmith6287 wrote: »

Resort fees are normal enough in the US, but I've always been informed upfront when booking. If you're staying with the likes of Marriott, Starwood, Hard Rock, they're very clear about these kinds of costs.

If it's not called out at the time of booking, then I would be of the opinion that they can't introduce them afterwards (as you have already entered into the contract). However, it's hard to say 100% without seeing the Ts&Cs and the booking details.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mick_ser

I have paid resort fees before..Don't like them but no choice really and it was stated clearly when and why they were applicable..If they hadn't stated them clearly at the time of booking I would kick up a fuss...Especially if you paid before they brought them in and to still charge you for them that's a bit much.

Advertisement