Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stafford Wholesalers - Wexford 2 day 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Did anyone ride this before? Verdict?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Did anyone ride this before? Verdict?

Every year for the past few. Really well run, they have it down to a fine art form down there.

1st stage is great, starts off on the first lap with a few bumps but nothing major and a straight run along the N25, then the second lap brings in a few short but bloody sharp digs that in A4 tend to pull the race apart. I think 5 laps in total

2nd stage is a hill climb, they have two routes, the longer one from the N25 is a nice one, reasonably long with a tiny flat bit in the middle. A4s though done a different route last year near the Ferrycarrig. Starts off flat for about a km and then two turns and your climbing. Not a terribly tough hill climb (although I crashed on it last year when my wheel spilled out from under me).

3rd stage is longer and the pace was a good bit slower after the first day, not much climbing until closer to the end but those last few kms will make you suffer in ways you could not imagine if you are trying to stay with the group.

My favourite race of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

Anybody got any suggestions for accommodation?!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Thanks Cram, I'm sold anyway. Know how the points work for A4s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Thanks Cram, I'm sold anyway. Know how the points work for A4s?

As long as the two road races are over 50km it's your standard 8, 7, 6 etc. TT is 6, 5, 4 etc and overall GC is 10, 9, 8 etc.

• Advertisement

Its late but 5th and better in all stages equals instant upgrade. I think.

Rode last years hill climbs yesterday. despite putting in as minimal effort as possible, rode them both faster than before.
    Although I did crash on the A4 one and had to stop on the grown up one last year

A4 one is flat for the start and then after the second left turn it ramps up a fairly steep bump. Only a short bump but catches you out if not ready for it and if you mistime it, could ruin your time. The rest is an OK climb, really just depends on how you feel after tha bump.

A1/2/3 climb is a different kettle of fish, flat and twisty for the first 500m before settling into a nice climb. You take a right at a T junction which gives you a flat section for about a minute to recover or to make up time, depending on how you have went so far. Then a left turn into a stepper climb for the second half. The road is rougher and saps energy out of you, even without the steeper climb.

Both decent challenges but not unfair in that if your not a climber and you can have manners and spin up the steep sections, you won't lose too much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Anyone got the routes for the A4 stages?

Anyone got the routes for the A4 stages?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100683997&postcount=15

This is last years. No word on this years

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

From what I'm hearing locally and this is by no means 100% confirmed, stages 1 and 2 are the same route in both races as last year. Due to road works on the main N25 around Ballinaboola stage 3 will be mostly the same as last year but diverting off that section of road .
    I believe its going through Taghmon, Foulksmills, crossing the N25 in Ballinaboola , through Old Ross and joining the main New Ross to Enniscorthy road and last years route to the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

If travelling to Wexford for the event, where would be the best place to base yourself and stay on the Friday and Saturday nights?

decrrrrrr wrote: »
    If travelling to Wexford for the event, where would be the best place to base yourself and stay on the Friday and Saturday nights?

Anywhere on the west side of Wexford town would allow you to spin out to the starts. There is a hotel at the roundabout beside the N25 which would be ideal.

I see the routes have been released, looks pretty much the same as last year, which is no bad thing. First day I always thought was 50:50 between really flat and really humpy but looking at the profile, it just looks bumpy most of the way with two 8% kicks on lap two: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15635897
    The second lap is where you normally see it come apart, with the first 8% catching people unawares in A4. Every year I have done this there has been a break in the first lap but it never holds up much past the N25.

Second day, the hill climbs are identical. Again, good short but tough courses. Short enough that only someone who blows up will lose serious time but steep enough to give climbers a bit of time if they time it right.

Third day looks different. Going off the N25 int Taghmon, Foulksmills, then crossing back through Old Ross and avoiding going near New Ross at all. While I don't know the roads well, I have been along a few of them. Far more interesting than last year, although in A4 they seemed glad of the lack of interest after the 1st day. The end of the route appears the same which should sort out a few of those hanging in there anyway. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23259914

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tom francy

Are Gc Points top 15 for a3?

Advertisement