Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small moth?!

Options
  • 17-07-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

so for around 2 month, we have the following things in our apartment:

https://i.imgur.com/F06qCvm.jpg

not sure what these are called. anyway, where do they breed? for also around 2 month we find larvae crawling up the wall in our kitchen - always in the same spot. my wife suspects that these are larvea of the insect in the image above.

where do they lay there eggs? we cleaned out apartment rigorously several times now, with dettol and other semi-aggressive stuff.

yet these things keep popping up from somewhere. i cant find anything under the cabinet in the kitchen, where the lights are mounted.

everything else is clean. is there a way to figure out where they breed?

by now we have killed probably around 10-15 of these bugs, and maybe 5-10 of the larvae.

btw the larvae are yellow with a dark head.

what to do? its disgusting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

Possibly some sort of Miller Moth! They lay their eggs in all sorts of small dark spots. It really could be anywhere that wouldn't be disturbed too often.

If you have larvae on the walls; did you try following them to see where they're emerging from? You can use mothballs or pheromone traps but a small bit of detective work shouldn't make it too hard to find the source. Dry foods could be a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    Possibly some sort of Miller Moth! They lay their eggs in all sorts of small dark spots. It really could be anywhere that wouldn't be disturbed too often.

If you have larvae on the walls; did you try following them to see where they're emerging from? You can use mothballs or pheromone traps but a small bit of detective work shouldn't make it too hard to find the source. Dry foods could be a source.

they larvae are actually close to our chocolate-cabinet! which also contains a lot of other dry food stuff, like cookies etc. some of them even opened for quite some time...

thanks for the insight, will investigate!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

so i'm at work, but my wife just went ahead and had a look at the treat-cabinet.

took everything out and some of the older packages hat some kind of strange "dust" on them...

take a look:
    https://i.imgur.com/8ST1rK8.png

could be eggs, no?

anyway, there was more of that stuff there, so she chuck out all the stuff that was opened for ages that we wouldnt have eaten anyway and cleaned everything with dettol wipes... lets see of those moths appear again!

Advertisement