Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet Another Baby Monitor Suggestion Required

Options
  • 17-07-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Hi

Junior due in Sept and we are looking for baby Monitors. I did a search and few posts already but none recent. We are looking for a video monitor nothing to expensive but is 2 way voice and we can see junior at night. I was looking at some online but so hard. Saw the Motorola ones but not great reviews. I would like one that I can also watch on my phone when in work, to brighten up my day. So is there any that someone can recommend?

Also we have a few hand me down car seats for Junior and we have everything except for a new born. I was going to check Tony Kealys this weekend but are they sold separately or is all or nothing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Hi

Junior due in Sept and we are looking for baby Monitors. I did a search and few posts already but none recent. We are looking for a video monitor nothing to expensive but is 2 way voice and we can see junior at night. I was looking at some online but so hard. Saw the Motorola ones but not great reviews. I would like one that I can also watch on my phone when in work, to brighten up my day. So is there any that someone can recommend?

Also we have a few hand me down car seats for Junior and we have everything except for a new born. I was going to check Tony Kealys this weekend but are they sold separately or is all or nothing

We got a Motorola that (I think) has all the features you want and find it perfect. We got it in smyths. I can't remember the model name but it was on sale for maybe €120 from €150 when we got it 18 months ago. We drove ourselves mad researching but all the different ones had good and bad reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VStarcam-HD-Wireless-Security-IP-Camera-Baby-Infant-WifiI-R-Cut-Night-Vision-Audio-Recording-Surveillance/32793600729.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.TtTD7p

I bought that a while ago and it works quite well. Battery life is decent, it has a built-in night light and both are powered by micro-USB which is handy. The only thing that annoyed me though is that it's not actually a VstarCam product.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-VStarcam-Wifi-IP-Camera-720P-Night-Vision-2-Way-Audio-Wireless-Motion-Alarm-Mini-Smart/32813276193.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.TtTD7p

I've bought that to replace it though as I already use their IP cameras looking out into the garden and it'll slot in nicely to the cameras already on the app. The main reason for the change is that we can view the footage via the app and we can both be logged in at the same time. Main features are:

HD quality video- it's actually quite good (I have one already as well as two other more expensive VstarCam cameras)

You can listen in to what's happening in the room as well as speak to whomever is in the room

It's micro-USB powered which is useful

The software allows you to flip the video image horizontally and vertically which is handy as it means you can pretty much mount the camera anyway and adjust the footage you see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Can't help you with the monitor. I have an angel care one, but have used it very little. No video either!

As regards the car seat, I presume you're wondering if you can buy a seat without buying a whole travel system?
    You can just buy an infant carrier no problem, with or without an isofix or belted base. The seat on its own would be around €130 I think! The base is handier, you can fix that in the car and then the seat just clicks in and out, so no faffing with seat belts each time.
    Maxi cosi is a very popular brand. A maxicosi cabriofix would last you over a year, they're quite roomy!
    As regards the other seats you have, second hand seats aren't really recommended unless you're sure about their history. You probably know that already, but just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Re monitor, I have angel care with video. I wouldn't recommend it. the range is poor (I live in a long bungalow at the moment and it loses signal all the time, in my parents house which is old the walls are thick and also struggle with signal) another issue is if you use the video feature the battery dies after 2/2.5hrs even if charged all day. We just leave the video off now and can turn it on if he's making noise etc... to see whats going on without having to go in. We didn't use the monitor for the first few weeks, you probably won't need it straight away. I have heard good things about motorola.

Re car seat we bought 2nd hand, had the cabrio fix and easy fix base (can be used with seat belt or isofix) the base is so handy. Group 0 seats in good condition and still within the safe use period are easy enough to come by. A family fix base needs iso fix but can be used for the next stage maxi cosi, so might be something to consider when buying. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks for the replies
    Saw a few Motorola over on Amazon and good and bad reviews so will look at that. Not so sure about ordering from AliExpress I know others have but thanks for the suggestion.
    The car seats are Brothers that he no longer use and so not buying them second hand. Its just we don't have one for a new born so when they arrive we have to transport them from the hospital home in the car. Going to check around this weekend and get the shops to install the base into isofix in car so we can get a better view and understanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

We got a Motorola one ourselves. The MBP26. It was £55 and to be honest it does the job perfectly. Baby monitors IMO are something that are severely overengineered and marketed to fretting parents to be (no offense intended... we looked at a LOT of monitors before coming to this realization). All you need is something with a good viewing angle, enough range to cover your house and night vision. Ours has the two way talk thing and honestly we've never used it. Why would we? You're not going to use it while the child is asleep, he/she can't understand what you're saying anyway, and he/she can't see you to know who the voice is coming from. 2-way talk is fairly standard anyway though so odds are whatever you choose it'll have it... but will you ever use it?

Sorry this is turning into a rant (the joys of parenthood... lots of fast triggers :p) it's just I find some of these features that are loaded on to expensive monitors a bit crazy. Reality is, you're going to be sitting in the kitchen/living doing whatever and you hear a little noise from the monitor, you look at the screen... is she still sleeping... yes. Great! :D

EDIT: Also on the watching from work thing. Personal choice but you are essentially broadcasting a live stream of your sleeping baby across the internet from a cheap monitor (with an inflated price because the only bigger money maker than weddings is babies). I'd would personally have serious concerns about privacy/security. Just do a Google search of "baby monitor security". I might be slightly OTT here I know but its just something I thought was worth highlighting.

I agree with most of the points I don't want to go overboard and I have to take a step back. I know about baby monitor security on IP camera's and that's what I am also looking at. The basic one will do me and sure if need be I can Skype or Whatsapp when Mummy and Kid at home around the house, if need be

BTW, if you are not planning on putting Junior in his/her own room for a while, just hold off on the monitor. For us, our daughter slept in the room with us until about 6 months old and for those first 2 months she mostly slept on us, in a sling, or (on a rare occasion) in her pram. Newborns love the closeness and for us we were happy to facilitate that which meant we didn't really need a monitor until she was around 2-3 months old. Of course that was just our situation.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Re the car seat, how old are the ones your brother is giving you? I'm expecting my second now and it turns out that the car seat I had for my first baby won't do because it'll be over 6 years old by the time the new baba arrives so I'll have to get a new one.

You can buy the newborn ones separately - I'm planning on getting the Maxi cosi cabriofix and the cheapest I've seen it so far is Smyths.

Toots wrote: »
    Re the car seat, how old are the ones your brother is giving you? I'm expecting my second now and it turns out that the car seat I had for my first baby won't do because it'll be over 6 years old by the time the new baba arrives so I'll have to get a new one.

You can buy the newborn ones separately - I'm planning on getting the Maxi cosi cabriofix and the cheapest I've seen it so far is Smyths.

Is your first car seat a maxi cosi too? Apparently maxi cosi say theirs are fine for ten years? I asked the rsa check it fits guys, and that's what they said- it's only if they're stored in extreme temperatures that there's an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

jlm29 wrote: »
    Is your first car seat a maxi cosi too? Apparently maxi cosi say theirs are fine for ten years? I asked the rsa check it fits guys, and that's what they said- it's only if they're stored in extreme temperatures that there's an issue.

No, it wasn't. :( I can't remember the name of the brand off the top of my head but when I checked it when I found out I was pregnant it had a 6 year limit. It came with my buggy but if I'd known I'd have gone for a maxi cosi instead.

No, it wasn't. :( I can't remember the name of the brand off the top of my head but when I checked it when I found out I was pregnant it had a 6 year limit. It came with my buggy but if I'd known I'd have gone for a maxi cosi instead.

It's a dose when you have to fork out for something you've already paid for. Maxi cosi used say five years, but thankfully extended it, so I got away with it. My oldest boy is 6 this year, and its on its third run

Not that old as nephews only young so going to check them

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I bought one of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01L1DYJYC/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B01L1DYJYC&pd_rd_r=3MZS9K1E0RHMRJN73DW0&pd_rd_w=iItHF&pd_rd_wg=hHzUt&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=K08F742BT2NEWPXKNPX4&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=75ddced3-cbe7-44d0-92ae-74ee2e744d33&pf_rd_i=desktop

We use an old phone with the app for monitoring at home (so that we don't have our own phones locked for use with it), and have apps on our normal phones too. Much cheaper than dedicated 'baby' ones, but I can't see why it's any less good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I came on here looking to ask the exact same question!
    Looking online for reviews of the best ones, then I go to Amazon and they've terrible reviews! Its a nightmare.
    I'm looking for one with a temperature sensor as well.
    I saw a few in Mothercare but I don't like buying stuff like that without reading reviews online, so going by all the reviews of every monitor i've seen, I won't be buying ANY monitor at this stage!!

I still have not purchased one and was looking at the Motorla
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-MBP36S-Digital-Monitor-Display/dp/B00K1BESC4/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1501758644&sr=1-6&keywords=baby+monitor
    It monitors the room temperature but not going to rely just on that. We have a voice monitor so that will do initially. Only problem with this one is that you cannot mount it on the cot so still looking around. I know its a bit expensive so that's why we have not purchased it yet. Have a look at Amazon and the reviews of them before buying

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-MBP36S-Digital-Monitor-Display/dp/B00K1BESC4/ref=sr_1_6?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1501758644&sr=1-6&keywords=baby+monitor
    It monitors the room temperature but not going to rely just on that. We have a voice monitor so that will do initially. Only problem with this one is that you cannot mount it on the cot so still looking around. I know its a bit expensive so that's why we have not purchased it yet. Have a look at Amazon and the reviews of them before buying

We have this one. Haven't had any problems with it in the year we've been using it.

Stick it on the wall looking down at the cot...

http://www.woodies.ie/command-large-picture-mirror-hanging-strips-1084425?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtpDMBRC4ARIsADhz5O77FDrhnT55pVmXNnytJkHon6tSkhKdgwK9bSmGOcubC7h54XnY7mAaAmsJEALw_wcB

Cakerbaker wrote: »

We have this one. Haven't had any problems with it in the year we've been using it.
    So is it worth the price as others looked at seem to do same thing. Some users having issues but reading up getting good reviews overall

So is it worth the price as others looked at seem to do same thing. Some users having issues but reading up getting good reviews overall

If I had found a cheaper one with the same features and better reviews I probably would have bought that but when we were looking this had all the features we wanted and had the better combination of good and bad reviews if that makes sense. I'm glad we bought it, it's handy having the camera and the temperature monitor. It works fine in my parents house where the bedroom is a bit of a distance from the living room. I'd happily buy this one again if starting from scratch.

• Advertisement

Looking at the below on Lidl

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=1856

Reading reviews on Amazon Battery not the best so is it worth it as Parents looking to buy for the Godchild

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Anyone on here have a Motorola MBP36s that they're not using anymore?

This one.

I'd be happy to take it of your hands for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

We picked one up from Wish... I can get the name and that for you. It is actually a reg camera that you set up with a tablet.. It is great I must say, now you need to be a bit of a nerd or into IT but tis mighty, you can move it using the screen... And talk.

One bit of advice though while it is great being able to see them, the good old standard monitors have a lot to be said for them..

The car seats, all depends on what ye want.. For the newborns all ye have to think about is do ye want a car seat or maxi cozy as they are now, to fit into the buggy. If ye don't then ye are flying it just take the hand me down ones for now (they don't stay in them for too long so if ye they come from a trusted person spot on). Then keep an eye on the deals for the car seats. Went with the Joie Stages ourselves and must say we were delighted with it, best places for prices are Smyths or Halfords.. If you don't have to worry about isofix, then the Joie 360 would save a lot on yer backs...

Advertisement